SR9 Hi Viz Sight

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Guppy

Bearcat
I installed one of the new Hi Viz sights last night on my SR9. The installation is not easy or for the faint of heart. The dove tails have to be filed to match the gun and the round top of the SR provides a great deal less material in the dove tail. It would be easy to damage the dove tail if the sight is not fitted right........

I am not impressed with the lack of brightness of the dot. It only glows in bright light and cloudy and rainy days it barely glows at all. All in all I should have just painted the stock front dot red. I also do not like the way it extends backwards from the dovetail cutting down an already short sight radius.

I bought 2 and may not install the second one.

YMMV

ConradM

Blackhawk
Do you guys think it's just the HiViz sights that are lacking or all of them? I really don't know what to do with my front sight.

So would you say the HiViz is at least better than a standard white dot?

22/45 Fan

Hunter
I also have installed the Hi-Viz on my SR9. True, it doesn't "light up" in very low light conditions like a tritium night sight but it is a noticable improvement over the factory white dot front sight in any reasonable level of ambient light.

One interesting observation; when I was practicing night shooting using a flashlight in a very dark indoor range, the "spill light" from the flashlight really lit up the dot and made it easy to see.

BTW, installation was about the same level of difficulty as installing any other make dovetail sight on any handgun. They all require fitting and significant force (read; hammer and brass drift) to position them.

ConradM

Blackhawk
22/45 Fan":ex9u15ca said:
I also have installed the Hi-Viz on my SR9. True, it doesn't "light up" in very low light conditions like a tritium night sight but it is a noticable improvement over the factory white dot front sight in any reasonable level of ambient light.

One interesting observation; when I was practicing night shooting using a flashlight in a very dark indoor range, the "spill light" from the flashlight really lit up the dot and made it easy to see.

BTW, installation was about the same level of difficulty as installing any other make dovetail sight on any handgun. They all require fitting and significant force (read; hammer and brass drift) to position them.

This is mainly what I want to hear. Night sights are IMO worthless when using a weapon light. They just get dark. But if a FO can gather the spill then that sounds like the ticket for HD.

Guppy

Bearcat
I have used FO sights quite a bit prior Dawson precisions for instance. The oned that are not encapsulated are very bright by compaison. I think that the encapsulation cuts down the light gathering of the FO rod a great deal. The green ay be a better choice possibly.
As I sit here in computer room one of the sights is sitting on the shelf my monitor is resting on. The room is not well lit but enough that I can see my shadow from the light source behind me. The red high viz dot is hard to seperate from the blac of the sight.......
I am just not super impressed.

I do wish Dawnson Would make a front and rear for the SR.... A wider rear notch and thin front post would make my day.

sparks701

Bearcat
I think its the resine around the HI VIZ for protection that dulls the light comming in. I have HI VIZ on my MKII without the resine and it is alot brighter.