SR9 Ghost Ultimate with New Rubber Trigger Stop

Help Support Ruger Forum:

robilmichael

Bearcat
As reported earlier, I installed the Ghost Ultimate trigger connector (the one that is a drop-in). I am now VERY PLEASED with the results. The pull weight has been significantly reduced to very close to the Ruger 22/45 (reported to be 3.5 lbs.). In fact, it may be a better trigger. The trigger is now very easy with a nice clean break. Contrary to some posters, I did not have any grittyness, long travel or "hitches" in the trigger (before of after), although I will comment on that below.

The only problem that I had before and after the Ghost trigger install was that the gun seemed to "jump" a bit when the striker spring/pin is released and hits the stop. I thought that the "jump" was caused by the striker spring being so stout. It is not; it is caused by the very slight overtravel of the trigger. Although the Ruger trigger replacement was supposed to have helped that issue it did not completely fix it. I figured this out when I put a little piece of rubber behind the trigger that just fit between the back of the trigger and the trigger guard as the trigger breaks. That prevents the trigger from moving past the break and just stops and cushions the trigger as it breaks.

To make a permanent trigger stop I cut and sanded a piece of rubber to fit behind the trigger to stop the trigger just as it breaks. I glued it on. Here is a picture of it installed:

DSC02709.jpg

Here is a close up of the rubber trigger stop installed:

DSC027102.jpg

As you can see above, he SR9 has only about a 3/16" trigger pull length. Here is a close-up of the trigger after it is pulled and against the stop:

DSC02711.jpg

The tirgger reset is perfect, the trigger is light and the gun stays perfectly steady when the trigger is pulled. The whole process took about 5 mins. to install. Here is a picture of the typical results (ten yards, ten shots fairly fast against 2 1/2" sticky targets):

DSC02720.jpg

The combined effect of both these modifications was literally amazing. The trigger now feels like a CZ75 or Ruger 22/45 that I have shot, both of which I think are near perfect. Very light, very clean break, and no overtravel.

Some poster said that when he installed the Ghost Ultimate that the trigger still felt gritty with a "hitch." I noticed a problem when I inititally installed the Ghost trigger connector to the spring in the wrong orientation. I too was concerned about whether the Ghost trigger would work. I pulled it out and connected the spring correctly to the connector and it worked perfectly.

Good luck to all. Thanks.

jhearne

Buckeye
Looks good, would consider this had I not already ordered my Rocket the other day, nice work and shooting :)

Josh

jhearne

Buckeye
Just got the shipping confirmation during lunch so USPS from FL is a few days, should hopefully get it Tues/Wed....dunno, won't get here soon enough lol.

Josh

pamato18

Bearcat
Hey,

Like that a lot. I put an eraser back in my trigger guard the same way to test it out and it felt a lot better. Wondering where you got that rubber and how you shaped it? The eraser consistency is a little to soft, but I don't know where I can get a rubber piece like that. Would love some help. Thanks,

revhigh

Hawkeye
If it works for you, I guess it's fine, but I wouldn't do that to one of my guns. Although it probably accomplishes what you wanted, it's a mickey mouse solution to a poor trigger. My guns don't get mickey mouse fixes like that ...

What happens if the weather gets hot, or it gets hot from being carried IWB, and the glue softens, and that little piece of rubber slides down 1/8 or 1/4 of an inch. It now blocks the trigger from being pulled.

That's exactly why manufacturers don't go in for that kind of hokey solution.

You'd have to be crazy to carry that gun for self protection with that modification. If it's for range use only then it probably doesn't matter. It's mods like this that make me say time and again .... buy a gun with a trigger you can live with in it's stock form, not one that you have to play amateur gunsmith on to make it acceptable.

REV

A

Anonymous

Hmm, I like the trigger. A little stiff but adequate even with the Ghost but it's still better than a lot of other guns. The stop that the OP installed does seem a bit hokey but if it's a range gun and it works for him, then "Eh".

I'm going to keep it the way it is, learn to be proficient and then adjust from there when they come out with a drop in trigger.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Wolverton":34ytqgo5 said:
I'm going to keep it the way it is, learn to be proficient and then adjust from there when they come out with a drop in trigger.

Good choice wolverton !

REV

robilmichael

Bearcat
I agree that the rubber stop is not a great way to fix the overtravel issue with the trigger. I have removed it and will just deal with the trigger overtravel.

I note that there is a Glock trigger overtravel fix that involves a block and set screw attached to the trigger bar.

In any event, I still like the Ghost Ultimate trigger. It helps alot.

Thanks.