SR9 - Galloway Precision Testing/Review Thread

Help Support Ruger Forum:

What Galloway Precision part are you most interested in?

• Competition Trigger Kit

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Extended Magazine Release

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Magazine Extension +6

• Magazine Extension +2

• Mag Well

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Guide Rod (explain Spring Choice)

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Other (from website) Explain below

• Other (potential product) Explain below

• Total voters

jhearne

Buckeye
I figured it best to make an official Range Report thread with pics and such.

Notice my Mag Release Pin slipping out after about 100+ rounds, not Galloway's fault, mine does this from time to time.
IMG_0688.jpg

Here's the links to the videos I have online.
Teaser
+6 Mag Ext. Test
Competition Trigger

Link to the Teaser album showing off the goods.

The Mag Well
The test unit I received is in fact a prototype, meaning the design is not yet final and it's not 100% guaranteed to be right. That said, it fits my gun a little tight. It squeezes the grip and the factory mag well and makes dropping the mag, loaded or not, hang up about half way out of the gun. Galloway is sending me another unit to review made of aluminum instead of steel and without a set screw, but a pin to better secure it to the factory backstrap hole. I'm not sure where the problem lies with the part, but it could just be my gun. I would say that the primary focus for this part is competition and a freely dropping mag is a wanted function. It's not a problem I'd be concerned about as it's still a prototype and the squeeze should be fixed soon I'd imagine.

As someone who works in a machine shop and performs QC on CNC machined parts, the quality of the work on this, even for a prototype, is superb. Hardly a tool mark on it, even on the tougher cuts I saw.

Inserting mags would be easier if I ever really had trouble with it, but I've got good mag loading practice and rarely miss the factory well without looking even. Installed, it doesn't effect the grip of the gun much at all and is comfortable to shoot with. The steel material adds some weight to the gun and makes the recoil a little softer, hardly noticeable IMO. If your a competition shooter looking for an option for this, go for it once the design is refined.

Also, the Mag Well addition does not work with factory mag bases, you have to trim the lip of the mags for them to fit and seat properly.

Extended Magazine (+6)
Fiocchi 115gr JHP
IMG_0686.jpg

This is also a prototype I am testing, it's a PVC construction and not the final design. I was told the prototype PVC material isn't readily drop proof, but the final design will be. It uses the factory spring, retention plate and follower. It holds 23 rounds (+6) and during testing at my house by cycling the slide by hand, it jammed when I loaded it 21 rounds (+4) or over. I'm fairly cerain it was the angle I had it held to catch the ammo I was ejecting. Live firing 23 rounds today went as it should've. Seeing the issues I had before hand cycling, I was concerned about the factory spring sitting longer and having feeding issues towards the last bit of the mag. Not the case today. Performed flawlessly and didn't interfere with my grip. Once the design is refined and final, I'd recommend this to anyone looking for a little more ammo or for strict competition usage. Galloway will also offer a +2 I believe that should look a little closer to stock. If you like the Mag Well and want to use a closer to stock feel, I'd go for a +2 setup on the mags since Galloway's bases will fit with his Mag Well.

The downside to the +6 is seeing 23 rounds disappear from your box of ammo in a matter of seconds, nearly 1/2 a box....might point out that my normal 3 - 17 round mags wipes out a box in one try.

Extended Magazine Release
At .120" over stock, you can install this for right or left handed shooters. I like it, it's simple and does the job well. It's a highly polished steel extension that replaces your factory release. Installation is a cinch, just use this video to do it. Personally I'd like the option for a coating on it, either blued or blackened, because the high polish on external parts doesn't fit the aesthetics of anything else even on my Stainless SR9. I don't know if Galloway intends to offer a color option or what, I'd hope so, but it's not something I've brought up in my emails with Eric.

This product won't work with the newer SR9/c/40 as it's a round button and not "D" shaped like with the newer V1.2 SR pistols. This is something we've discussed in emails and something he is working on. Just a matter of time...I'd expect it to be a solid offering nonetheless. If you have a want for an extended mag release button, get it.

Competition Trigger Kit
*Polished Striker with new spring and extended indicating bar
*Polished Striker Blocker with shorter and lighter powered spring
*Polished Trigger Connector, factory replacement
*Trigger Reset Bar Spring, heavier than stock, lightens the pull weight

All parts are drop ins, easy to install. The only tricky part was the Reset Bar Spring as I've never removed mine and was originally under the impression that the pin needed to be removed to get it out. That wasn't the case, but never the less, I figured it out eventually. I fired 250 rounds through the gun with these components installed. The extended Striker indicator shows more than the factory one and he offers a steel indicator that should show up very well considering the metal to plastic contrast of the parts.

About 200 rounds through my testing today the trigger began to become mushy and long to pull before it breaks. Where as at the start, the pull was short and crisp and was what I would consider ideal for the SR9, especially considering what it used to be. I don't know if it was the heat or what that caused the abnormal pulls later in the day. Maybe it was fatigue in my fingers or something, it was my first time shooting in a while. Right now though, it's back to normal, or what I remember normal being for this setup.

Edit: Galloway seems to think it's possible it was heat induced, I did run through 250 rounds in a fairly short order. He reported testing and competition of 1000 rounds from multiple guns but over 8-10 hours of shooting. He's going to talk to his spring maker and some changes may need to be made, and it's something to consider if you shoot a lot per hour. I'll be sure and update you guys on this as it develops.

I'll be trying this setup again next weekend to test the guide rod setups, but I'll be using a polished Ghost Rocket and Stock connectors to compare. I noticed an improvement in my accuracy and groupings due to the lowered pull weight. My first grouping was one of my best with this gun (see pic below, fuzzy since it's zoomed in). I like this setup, but I'd only use it in a Range Gun or Competition setup. He offers a setup for carry that will actually make the trigger a tad heavier. Personally, if your going to carry, leave it stock or throw in a Ghost. The newer V1.2's are nicer than mine stock, YMMV!!!

First 23 rounds today: not shabby IMO...CCI Blazer Aluminum 115gr FMJ
IMG_0685.jpg

Dale Fricke Holster
Archangel style in Ruger SR9 flavor. Not a brand or maker I've heard of, but there are unending droves of holster makers nowadays, most of which are little known. I'll be honest, I don't carry so my review of this holster won't hold much water. I don't know what to look for in a holster but I'd say this one is a solid product. Holds the SR9 very well, and seems to wear on my body alright. I'm keeping this one short and undecided, here's some pics.

IMG_0703.jpg

IMG_0705.jpg

IMG_0701.jpg

So far that's all I was able to test, I haven't gotten in the Guide Rod to test with the 3 springs. I'll be testing them next week with both standard range ammo and SD ammo. Also I'll be varying the internals between the Connectors I have on hand and I should have an aluminum Mag Well to test too.

Range Report
I fired 250 rounds of mixed ammo, 150 CCI Blazer 115gr FMJ, 50 WWB 115gr WWB (to check for any light strikes) and a box of Fiocchi 115gr JHP. I had one failure to reset during a set of one handed firings, that I intentionally limp wristed to try and induce a failure. Once the failure occurred I went back to a more solid grip and never hiccuped after that.

My first mag's grouping was what I would consider a good group, first 10 rounds of the 23 were all in the 10 ring. I'm normally a low left shooter, I've never been able to correct this problem. My first mag was vastly improved upon that condition of my habits. I attribute this to the lower trigger pull I felt. After I shot a ragged hole in a box of ammo I focused less on accuracy and went to put holes in paper to put the components through their paces focusing on reliability.

Other than the self induced failure and the odd feeling trigger at the end of the session, I really liked what I saw. I'll be happy to see what the final products look like for the prototypes I'm testing. If I had the cash for the ammo, I'd be very interested in shooting competitively with my SR9 and the parts I used today.

Special thanks to Eric of Galloway Precision for letting me test these parts, hope I get to see some more testing from him in the future.

Josh

jhearne

Buckeye
agentadam said:
Cool beans. Are you going to do any trigger pull weight test?

Yes, later this week after I gather the hardware for my setup.

Josh

Sal1950

Blackhawk
jhearne said:
agentadam said:
Cool beans. Are you going to do any trigger pull weight test?

Yes, later this week after I gather the hardware for my setup.

Josh

Dang, Still keepin us in suspense huh. :(
You know that's the number one thing were interested in, what do these new springs accomplish?
Sal

jhearne

Buckeye
I know, and I'm sorry for making you guys wait, just that I dont own the trigger gauge or that vise setup I used last time.

They do lower the pull weight, I'd put it around 4 lbs. The heavy polishing of course smooths the pull a great deal.

Josh

jhearne

Buckeye
Updated to edit a couple details I missed and to update on the trigger kit.

Also added a poll to judge interest in the parts offered.

Josh

Sal1950

Blackhawk
Voted for the comp trigger kit, but all I really need are the springs and extended striker rod. I already have the Ghost Rocket and have highly polished my striker.
Sal

agentadam

Single-Sixer
I would like the 330- upgrade kit, stronger trigger bar spring, and reduced firing pin block/plunger spring. I would probably be more interested in the +2.

A couple ideas would be a red or orange polymer firing pin indicator and a modified loaded chamber indicator so that it only sticks up half as much.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Does anyone really use the striker status indicator thing? With the billboard size LCI flag on top you can see if it's got one in the pipe, although I'd still press check if I wasn't totally sure. You can tell striker status by trigger position so it just seems unnecessary.

Just one of those things that some brands do and others don't??

martinj001

Single-Sixer
I'll be interested in any and all parts that make the gun any more reliable than it already is. Considering mine is my daily carry gun, I won't be doing competition trigger kits and the like, but anything that can increase reliability is always a good thing.

Sal1950

Blackhawk
Yo Josh,
Had a chance to get some trigger pull numbers yet, or has Galloway gone back to the drawing board with his springs?
TIA
Sal

jhearne

Buckeye
Hey Sal, sorry, but no I haven't. This last weekend I was going to test GP's Guide Rod/Spring setups but couldn't come across any heavier 9mm SD loads. Also, he wants me to send back the Striker so he can swap a new spring into it, and wants me to run the same test I did 2 weekends ago next chance I get to see how the trigger does.

I will say that they are opening the Mag Well up .008" and it should fix the mag drop issue I was seeing with the steel well. He sent me an aluminum one and it didn't have an issue with any of my mags or his. Personally, I like the steel one, it has more weight and the gun feels like it has a better balance.

Josh

gregnauman

Bearcat
Any updates on your modifications from galloway.

I am going to be installing the ghost rocket and doing your polishing recommends in a week or so.

Wanted to know what else you did from galloway and the results.

I saw your short firing video but didn't see anything else really.

Thanks

Greg

jhearne

Buckeye
Nothing new in the SR9...everything still works fine and feels great.

I've got the following upgrades:

Stainless guide rod (factory weight spring)
Polished all the contact points
Polished (fully) Striker with reduced spring weight and polished indicator
Polished (fully) Striker Blocker
Competition Trigger Kit (includes heavier reset spring, polished blocker/new spring, polished connector)**
Mag Extension

The gun is only down to around 4lbs of pull, but in comparison to even my Galloway modded (trigger/hammer kit) LC9, it's ridiculously light. For that reason, my SR9 isn't a nightstand gun, it's range only. He has a smooth-it kit that I'd recommend along side some polishing to get the pull weight down some. I didn't find much benefit in the Ghost Rocket personally....ymmv.

**The Competition Kit cannot be found on his website anymore, so essentially, my gun is unique.

Josh

Latest posts