SR9, Full Auto Doesn't only Happen to Jennings

Help Support Ruger Forum:

waterwolf

Bearcat
I haven't posted to this forum in a while, because I gave up on my SR9 and got another M&P. I read, chuckling a little, about the Jennings possibly running full auto at the Florida range. Think it can't happen to you, just check out the video link below.

After the trigger recall (which increased my trigger pull from 6.5 lbs to 9.5 lbs, lyman digital) this gun had many trigger reset issues and a couple of doubles. I sent it back to Ruger, they replaced trigger bar, return spring, barrel, misc, and tested fired. About a month later, it went full auto with a 17 round mag in place. The first full auto was wild! I then set up my camera phone and took the weak video below. I was ready for this full auto and you can see what happened, with only 5-7 rounds. I also have 2 other full auto videos but this one is the most dramatic. You will also notice a trigger reset failure, common issue.

Ruger then sent me a new gun, they wanted this one off the street after I sent them a dvd. Same trigger reset failures, and then two more doubles. I gave up.

Before anybody blames the operator, I shot 13,700 rounds in IDPA/IPSC in 2009, sorry it twern't me. Up to the recall, in 2008, I had shot 4800 flawless rounds through the SR9 also.

Windows media player.

http://s921.photobucket.com/albums/ad51 ... toBest.flv

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
That is some scary pile of bull crap. That gun didn't go full auto in that video, you either don't know how to keep you finger off a trigger when limp wristing or you like to make some noise, which is it?

When a semi-auto goes full, it is a lot faster than that.

ConradM

Blackhawk
Cheesewhiz":19wivmr9 said:
That is some scary pile of bull crap. That gun didn't go full auto in that video, you either don't know how to keep you finger off a trigger when limp wristing or you like to make some noise, which is it?

When a semi-auto goes full, it is a lot faster than that.

What is your problem? :roll:

Xrayist

Single-Sixer
I have to agree with Cheesewhiz on this one....when a semi auto goes full auto it sounds more like a long single shot than separate shots. On full auto weapons there is always engineered in a way to cut the cyclic rate to a certain level. A good example is the 1921 Thompson as compared to the 1928 Thompson. I believe the slowed the cyclic rate down from 850 rounds per minute to 700-750 rounds per minute.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
I have to add, what moron shoots out his back window with no line of sight to the right?
We, watching the video, had a better look than the shooter.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Conrad, I shoot rapid fire all the time and even use my SR9 on warm ups sometimes and I can shoot it a hell of a lot faster than that.

3leggeddog

Single-Sixer
Cheesewhiz":2ji2sl2m said:
My problem is as stated, that isn't full auto.

I agree, I didn't see a full auto fire either. Looks more like a double tap .
The trigger just barely did a reset and as it rock back down it fired a second time. Any way thats my take...

revhigh

Hawkeye
This is something that rarely happens, but I'm going to disagree partially with Cheese. I think, as Conrad said, that the FIRST 2 or 3 shots did go full auto, at least as much as the SR9 is capable of, then the LAST few shots seem almost like reflex firing from being shocked at the FIRST volley.

If you listen close, you can hear a very fast double or triple.

No offense Cheese ! I could be wrong, but that's what it sounded like to me. Full auto for a gun like that is probably about 600-700 RPM.

I DO AGREE it's not the brightest way to shoot a gun under ANY circumstances. I would also question why Ruger would just up and replace the gun, rather than just fixing it. That doesn't seem like somthing Ruger would do. It takes ALOT for Ruger to physically replace a gun.

REV

ConradM

Blackhawk
revhigh":35cvj7ta said:
This is something that rarely happens, but I'm going to disagree partially with Cheese. I think, as Conrad said, that the FIRST 2 or 3 shots did go full auto, at least as much as the SR9 is capable of, then the LAST few shots seem almost like reflex firing from being shocked at the FIRST volley.

No offense Cheese ! I could be wrong, but that's what it sounded like to me. Full auto for a gun like that is probably about 600-700 RPM.

I DO AGREE it's not the brightest way to shoot a gun under ANY circumstances. I would also question why Ruger would just up and replace the gun, rather than just fixing it. That doesn't seem like somthing Ruger would do. It takes ALOT for Ruger to physically replace a gun.

REV

I love how everyone shut up... :lol: :lol:

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
revhigh":1ek6qag7 said:

REV

I have looked at this video over and over and I still don't see anything that looks to be the gun going full auto. I have even clicked thru it several times and it still looks like multiples and not full auto.
Granted the video is from a cellphone and somethings may be missing due to the quality and I guess that would be believable but what is not believable is this person recieved a new gun from Ruger and it had the same issues.
That part is just not believable at all.
How many other people on this forum have reported their SR9 firing in full auto?
What are the odds that this guy gets two SR9's that go it full auto or unintentional doubles?
The SR9 is an easy gun to shoot multiples with and I have said this several times on this forum. We also have quite a good sampling of SR9 owners that have shot their guns well past a couple of thousand rounds and I haven't seen any that post this issue with their guns.
It seems that I see some on this forum that not only want to write something bad about Ruger in general or the SR9 in particular but it's like they have to post up some form of negative comment, even if it makes them look stupid.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
ConradM":27znkk2a said:
I love how everyone shut up... :lol: :lol:

Conrad, I'm not going anywhere and it's hard to shut me up, you also never answered my question, how many times has your SR9 gone full auto?

Have you ever seen a pistol go full auto? I have and it empties the mag in an instant.
I also disagree with Rev about the cyclic rate of a pistol that goes full auto, the stroke on a semi-auto pistol is very short in comparision to a sub machine gun so the cyclic rate will be higher than 600-700 rounds per minute.

waterwolf

Bearcat
I figured this would turn into some kind of flame on me. You can always count on some uninformed and immature remarks generated constantly on this forum by "The Cheesewhiz".

As far as safety, my pole barn window, backing up to a sunken shooting pit, on 10 acres backing up to 260 state acres and a 100' hill. I'll leave it at that. FYI, I am shooting with one hand off a rest, because it seemed safer to keep my off hand out of the way. Shooting a hole in my window or barn does not concern me. Why I have not shot that window yet in 7 years is kind of a mystery!

Also, only my first SR9 went full auto. It is funny Ruger wanted it off the street after they saw 3 videos I sent them. Sorry Cheeze, I'll give more credence to Ruger on whether this was auto or my double taps. No, Ruger wasn't into a replacement, until I sent them videos. They re-stamped the serial numbers on a new frame, and paperwork said "new replacement gun". It looked new.

The replacement SR9 was driving me nuts with the trigger reset failures and 10 lb trigger. The reset issues were far more common on double taps and quick shooting. Given my previous history, Ruger sent me a trigger bar and reset spring for the second one, which helped with resets for about a 1,000-2,000 rounds and then started again. The Ghost connector did not look like the holy grail either. So I traded the SR9 and $200 for a M&P FS, which has been flawless, as have been my 9C and Pro. If I can't trust the SR9 for competition, I sure can't trust it for carry.

Believe me boys, this gun went full auto. I am not saying the whole sequence is auto, there may be one or two reflex shots at the end. What you don't see are the first two full mags that went full auto before I had the camera set up. I have two other videos not posted, I can post if anybody wants to see them for FURTHER EVALUATION not flaming. One of the videos even shows me almost lasering my hand after my rest moved a little, yes, my bad and you can flame me on that screw up!

For what its worth, the cyclic rate of a Glock G18 is 1100-1300 rounds per minute, or about 20 rounds per second, I imagine the SR9 would be capable of a very similar rate. The first two mags, out of the clear blue, not on video, shot in about 1.5 seconds. I estimate it was probably the middle 10-13 rounds that were full auto, beginning and end shots were normal.

I very slowly removed the striker thinking a shaving was causing a slam fire. The channel was spotless as was the striker. I have no idea what caused this, but is was scary as hell.

jhearne

Buckeye
Well, at any rate we'll never be able to solidify any part of this story since the video was shot with a camera phone and the gun is in Ruger's hands and probably destroyed after they shot it a few times to see what was up. Do wish you could've gotten your hands on a decent camera that shot good video too, something in hi-speed or higher-definition.

My gun has never done this, but a few people have claimed to have seen a double tap on a single pull of the trigger (on the SR9 IIRC and other semi's as well). I'm not calling anyone anything until I've seen the video with sound (at work). Sometimes it's able to be replicated, sometimes it's just a one time thing (poor mechanics while shooting).

Go ahead and post the other videos if you'd like, I'm pretty sure regardless of what the final determination on Ruger's part was it was mainly a 'cover their butt' move. Guns that fire multiple shots with a single pull are not normal no matter what has been done or what has happened to the gun internally. Safety of the consumer is what was on Ruger's mind and they rectified that. It's no surprise they replaced it IMHO.

Josh

waynejitsu

Single-Sixer
I count-
1...., 1..., 1, 2, 3

What I see in slo-mo is-
1..., 1..., 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 (possibly more as the gun goes out of frame for quite a while)

As everyone knows, hearing and seeing is two different things.
You can shoot so fast it sounds like one shot, when in fact, it could be 2, but usually 3.

For example, single action revolvers, you can shoot so the crowd hears 1 shot, open the cylinder and all 3 bullets have been fired after it was verified 3 live rounds were in the cylinder to start with.
No magic, just speed.

So, just because you "heard" 3 shots does NOT mean there was only 3 rounds fired.
In fact, it was at least double that amount.
Watch the video again