SR9 for IDPA?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

buscadero

Single-Sixer
Hi,
Just wandering out of the shadows.
I heard that you shouldn't dry fire a SR9 without a magazine.
At the end of an IDPA stag the tell you to drop the magazine,
rack the slide to show "clear" and then pull the trigger.
?????dryfiring without mag can = broken firing pin???? :?
Wouldn't this make it a poor choice for IPDA?
Opinions please
Thanks in advance :D

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
I'll qualify this with the fact that I don't own a SR-9, but as far as I know you can safely dry fire Ruger pistols with no problems.

buscadero

Single-Sixer
As I understand it, (and I don't understand much) the SR9 and the
P345 should not be dry fired without the magazine inserted.

ConradM

Blackhawk
You're right, the sr9 shouldn't be dry fired without a mag in it. But of course you can remove the Mag DC and not worry about it :wink: There's a how to at the top of the page.

3leggeddog

Single-Sixer
buscadero":2xuq6wr3 said:
Hi,
Just wandering out of the shadows.
I heard that you shouldn't dry fire a SR9 without a magazine.
At the end of an IDPA stag the tell you to drop the magazine,
rack the slide to show "clear" and then pull the trigger.
?????dryfiring without mag can = broken firing pin???? :?
Wouldn't this make it a poor choice for IPDA?
Opinions please
Thanks in advance :D

I've read reports of the striker assembly breaking from drying firing with out a snap cap. I think there's a few past post in this forum. Theres a stop on the end to limit forward movement, thats what breaks! these MAY have been after 100+ dry fires too, breaking trigger in..Do a search on this !

Grendel

Single-Sixer
I shoot my SR9 in IDPA. I removed the mag disconnect as soon as I got the gun. Dryfiring for showing the weapon is clear has never been a problem. My striker broke during dryfire when I was doing an extended session of dryfire consisting of hundreds of dryfire trigger pulls in rapid succession. I don't have any fears of my striker breaking during IDPA dryfire.

-JT

jhstancil

Bearcat
Removing the mag DC would be a must for IDPA to show clear and dry fire. The way my luck is I would gouge a striker if I left the DC in..

Grendel

Single-Sixer
To me, the greater risk would be someone who left the mag disconnect in and insisted on using an empty mag to pull the trigger, which defeats the process, for one thing. Another is that the risk of seating a loaded mag accidentally is too great, even if the procedure calls for pulling the trigger downrange.

-JT

MAC702

Single-Sixer
I rarely see them anymore to know what the OFFICIAL policy is (or if there is one), so what happens with Smith & Wesson pistols that require a magazine to dry-fire? Is it also easy to remove the magazine disconnect?

I remember a decade ago when I was shooting USPSA, one guy had a S&W and it was SOP for him to insert an empty magazine when dropping the hammer by dry-firing. This was considered more sure than just letting him use the decocker.

When I got back into the shooting sports with IDPA last year, I've only once seen a guy with a S&W and he just used the decocker, but I don't know what real procedure there is or if he just did it and got away with it.

mekender

Single-Sixer
There is no official policy that i know of, but they do allow club discretion so far as I know.

Basically you tell the match director before hand that you have this issue. Then you have to use a magazine that is dedicated as a clearing mag.

Jumping Frog

Bearcat
MAC702":yn0rqry9 said:
I remember a decade ago when I was shooting USPSA, one guy had a S&W and it was SOP for him to insert an empty magazine when dropping the hammer by dry-firing. This was considered more sure than just letting him use the decocker.
When I've shot IDPA with an SR-9, the SO's already knew about Rugers and I had to unload, show clear, show the empty magazine, insert empty magazine, "hammer down" (fire), drop the empty magazine, and holster.

Grendel":yn0rqry9 said:
I shoot my SR9 in IDPA. I removed the mag disconnect as soon as I got the gun.
Actually, your pistol is no longer legal for IDPA then. The rules clearly state on page 18:

IDPA Rule Book 2005":yn0rqry9 said:
The following modifications are NOT ALLOWED IN ANY DIVISION unless otherwise specifically mentioned.
E. Disconnection or disabling of any safety device on any gun.

MAC702

Single-Sixer
While I agree it breaks the rules, I would question whether or not it truly is a "safety"...

alienbogey

Bearcat
I disagree that removing it breaks the rules.

It's not a safety device. The parts diagram describes it as a "magazine disconnect", which is all it is.

wildbill846

Bearcat
alienbogey":39cgpyf9 said:
I disagree that removing it breaks the rules.

It's not a safety device. The parts diagram describes it as a "magazine disconnect", which is all it is.

That sounds like a play on words to me...call it what you like....other manufacturers call it a safety. What is it's function? To prevent the weapon from firing without the magazine inserted. If the thumb safety was named a trigger disconnect would it no longer be a safety?

alienbogey

Bearcat
Certainly there are several ways to look at it, but it's more than just semantics.

The magazine disconnect is a feature that some pistols have and some don't. IDPA allows pistols that have magazine disconnects and it allows pistols that don't.

The SR9 has a magazine disconnect that was (I believe) purposely made to be very easily removable by the user to allow the pistol to be configured as desired. That way, Ruger can sell the pistol to all 50 states without worrying about specially configuring pistols for shipments to those states with (idiotic) requirements in configuration, such as those that restrict magazine capacity to 10 rounds.

There are those that might describe such a 10 round magazine as a "safety" magazine. If I took a California pistol and, standing in Oregon, inserted a 17 round factory magazine, would I have disabled a "safety", and thereby rendered it illegal under IDPA? No, in my opinion.

I believe it could be taken to quite an extreme, because everything on a pistol is there, essentially, to enable the pistol to be safely operated. Change the sights? Sorry, you changed the factory 'safety sights', that's illegal. Custom grips? Sorry, you disabled a 'safety', because the factory grips enable you to safely grip the pistol, and we have no way of knowing if the aftermarket grips are safe.

JMO, but the magazine disconnect is just a feature of the pistol, not a safety, that when installed or uninstalled allows it to function one way or another.

YMMV

Rhino

Bearcat
I have a better idea why dont you just contact the IDPA and get the scoop from them :roll:

The International Defensive Pistol Association
2232 CR 719
Berryville, AR 72616
(870) 545-3886
Fax: (870) 545-3894
info at idpa.com

Just my 2 cents...

3leggeddog

Single-Sixer
alienbogey":1fdv6n1m said:
Certainly there are several ways to look at it, but it's more than just semantics.

The magazine disconnect is a feature that some pistols have and some don't. IDPA allows pistols that have magazine disconnects and it allows pistols that don't.

The SR9 has a magazine disconnect that was (I believe) purposely made to be very easily removable by the user to allow the pistol to be configured as desired. That way, Ruger can sell the pistol to all 50 states without worrying about specially configuring pistols for shipments to those states with (idiotic) requirements in configuration, such as those that restrict magazine capacity to 10 rounds.

There are those that might describe such a 10 round magazine as a "safety" magazine. If I took a California pistol and, standing in Oregon, inserted a 17 round factory magazine, would I have disabled a "safety", and thereby rendered it illegal under IDPA? No, in my opinion.

I believe it could be taken to quite an extreme, because everything on a pistol is there, essentially, to enable the pistol to be safely operated. Change the sights? Sorry, you changed the factory 'safety sights', that's illegal. Custom grips? Sorry, you disabled a 'safety', because the factory grips enable you to safely grip the pistol, and we have no way of knowing if the aftermarket grips are safe.

JMO, but the magazine disconnect is just a feature of the pistol, not a safety, that when installed or uninstalled allows it to function one way or another.

YMMV

You just made a good case,IDPA needs o wake up! Its even in my owners manual that it can be removed!

Latest posts