SR9 for IDPA?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rhino

Bearcat
Ok I just spoke to the IDPA, per their information the magazine disconnect Is considerd a saftey. Therfore you cannot remove it under there rules.
This means in order to dryfire the SR9 you must have an empty magazine.

This is straight from the horses mouth take it for what it's worth.

Best Regards.

ConradM

Blackhawk
Rhino":c2le02nw said:
Ok I just spoke to the IDPA, per their information the magazine disconnect Is considerd a saftey. Therfore you cannot remove it under there rules.

Best Regards.

Meh, it's case by case... I shot in IDPA with my MagDC removed and they were none the wiser.

3leggeddog

Single-Sixer
Rhino":1xhk2tet said:

Best Regards.
I dont think anyone doubts your word, the question is "Is it time to reconsider the rule"? If Ruger owners are force to use the mag. disconnect ,shouldnt all others be required to have the same safety feature too ? Rules need to change with the times! Enough has been said.
Where all friends here!

wildcat

Bearcat
Hi. Just joined after reading this thread. I've been shooting IDPA twice a month with my SR9 for about a year. I haven't removed the magazine disconnect and was wondering if I'm asking for future problems if I continue. Does removing the disconnect solve all the problems I'm likely to encounter?

Thanks!

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
ConradM":1mlnbtq0 said:
Meh, it's case by case... I shot in IDPA with my MagDC removed and they were none the wiser.

Conrad, just because you didn't get caught doesn't mean you didn't break one of their safety rules. Might want to look up the penalty for knowingly breaking a safety rule..

Also, FOR THE RECORD, on page 17 of the SR9 instruction manual it states:

1. The Ruger SR9 can be dry-fired without damage to the striker or other components as long as the magazine is inserted.

2. Caution: Dry firing your Ruger SR9 with the magazine removed may result in damage or unnecessary wear to the striker blocking mechanism.
(their color)

I read these to mean:

You can dry fire with a mag inserted (or with the mag DC removed)

Dry firing could damage the magDC piece, not the striker, if you dry fire with the DC in and the mag out.

Nowhere in the manual does it say it's OK to remove the magDC or explain how to do it. If it's in there could someone refer me to the page?

ConradM

Blackhawk
ArmedinAZ":1eiqg9p8 said:
ConradM":1eiqg9p8 said:

Conrad, just because you didn't get caught doesn't mean you didn't break one of their safety rules. Might want to look up the penalty for knowingly breaking a safety rule..

Also, FOR THE RECORD, on page 17 of the SR9 instruction manual it states:

1. The Ruger SR9 can be dry-fired without damage to the striker or other components as long as the magazine is inserted.

2. Caution: Dry firing your Ruger SR9 with the magazine removed may result in damage or unnecessary wear to the striker blocking mechanism.
(their color)

I read these to mean:

You can dry fire with a mag inserted (or with the mag DC removed)

Dry firing could damage the magDC piece, not the striker, if you dry fire with the DC in and the mag out.

Nowhere in the manual does it say it's OK to remove the magDC or explain how to do it. If it's in there could someone refer me to the page?

Trust me, they wouldn't have cared. :roll:

Jumping Frog

Bearcat
ConradM":jc97gl6x said:
Trust me, they wouldn't have cared. :roll:
There is a huge difference between the relaxed rules that are commmonly acceptable at a club level match, versus what is enforced at sanctioned matches at the state/regional/national level.

For one example, the rules clearly state power floors that ammo must meet. My local club does not worry about chonographing reloaded match ammo. State matches, different story.

For another example, our club match has let people shoot a ParaOrdnance Hi-Cap .45 with the LDA trigger in SSP instead of CDP, if they want. We all know the ParaOrd does not meet the weight limit for SSP.

Allowable holsters? People aren't that excited about a small gap showing at the club level, but you wouldn't be allowed to shoot at a sanctioned match.

The Ruger magazine disconnect safety is the same issue. There is a meaningful difference between being able to fly under the radar and shoot a match versus being legal to shoot a match.