SR9 first day out tonight

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DC13

Bearcat
So the store I got my gun let me take it out to shoot at their range even though the 10days isnt up. So I got 150 rounds and fired away.
The first round jammed before I could shoot I think it was cause I didnt let it go fully forward so I ejected it out and tried again.
Bang I miss my target.
Set up again and unloaded the rest hitting all over.
39rounds later I was ready to try it again. So I pulled out another 100 rounds. Put a new sheet up and started doing alot better. After 30 rounds I looked to my right and it said I was shooting at 10-15 yards. I felt stupid cause I should of started off at 5yrds but I thought o well. Put in 20 rounds and movved to 5yrds. I was getting great shots. So thats when I did my 3rd sheet. I did 50 rounds all with in 7in of the center. I was really happy so thats when I got a 4th target and set it to 10yrds. I unloaded and this time I hit the target every time.

So far Im very happy with my buying of a SR9. I will adj. the sights once I pick it up from the store. I also had some trouble getting the slide to go back and load so I cut up my middle and pointer finger alittle but now I know how to do it so things are better.

I would recommend this gun to anyone looking for a great buy.

2fast4u

Single-Sixer
and once again another happy sr9 owner! :)
but keep an eye on the barrel for that peening problem
congrats on the purchase!

DC13

Bearcat
Ya I will be doing about 1000 rounds this weekend with myself and my wife.
I think the pinning issue will happen with in that many rounds. Or so I hope.

My next gun will be a XD but this will be next year.

bearing01

Bearcat
I'm no pro at breaking in guns. A brand new gun is a little tight though. If you're going to do the full 1000 rounds in one day I'd bring some oil. Maybe after 400 rounds or so, pull back the slide and give the barrel a squirt of oil. Also put a squirt on the barrel breach - where the bullet launch is - and on the outside of the chamber door (where the 9mm is written). Maybe even put a little squirt on the slide rails. After 500 to 1000 rounds she should be getting worn in and won't be as tight.

DC13

Bearcat
The gun will get a full cleaning at 300 rounds. And I also want to lube the gun's mag. release cause that thing is very hard. But so far it was a great shoot.

greener

Single-Sixer
If I were going to shoot 1k rounds in one trip, I'd probably just shoot the pistol until I started having problems then field strip it and give it a quick cleaning. Pretty easy to field strip and reassemble. I'm willing to bet that a clean, lightly lubed SR9 will go 1k rounds without any need of extra oil or cleaning.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
greener":3gtpk4vk said:
If I were going to shoot 1k rounds in one trip, I'd probably just shoot the pistol until I started having problems then field strip it and give it a quick cleaning. Pretty easy to field strip and reassemble. I'm willing to bet that a clean, lightly lubed SR9 will go 1k rounds without any need of extra oil or cleaning.

I've done this several times with my SR9 and it has never had an issue.

DC13

Bearcat
Ended up not being able to shoot cause my wife is getting sick but ill be going to the store on Tues. to pick it up. This is my only good thing here is San Diego. Im foing to field strip it put some lube on the mag. release and every where else then go from there.

Jumping Frog

Bearcat
greener":5owv88sz said:
I'm willing to bet that a clean, lightly lubed SR9 will go 1k rounds without any need of extra oil or cleaning.
Guns & Ammo's original magazine review two years ago at the SR-9 product introduction took the SR-9 to the range. They shot more than 12,000 rounds without a failure or cleaning.