SR9 cleaning question and range update

Help Support Ruger Forum:

2fast4u

Single-Sixer
Went again today. Put 300 rounds through it with no problems. Also shot my buddy's S&W .40 which is nice, but it felt to small in my hands.

Im still getting 4 1/2 inch groups at 40 feet but Im feeling more comfortable with the gun. im happy with it so far... owned it a month a have about 700 rounds through her :) not 2 shabby for a new guy. now its time to work on getting the group tighter.

so now the cleaning question

is there any need go further than a field strip to clean and lube it? and if so how often is recommended?

Ski

Bearcat
I would say there is no need to break the gun down farther than the standard "field strip". My cleaning process includes a liberal spray down of the frame in the area of the striker, trigger, etc. with a CLP type product. I then use "canned air" to blow out this area along with any accumulation of gunk and the excess CLP product. Haven't had any problems doing it this way for my small collection of handguns.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
After most range trips, I just field strip the gun, wipe off the surface crud, run a wet patch and then a brass bore brush through the barrel followed by a dry patch, lightly oil the rails and contact points and call it good.

Birchwood Casey makes a "Synthetic Safe" version of their "Gun Scrubber" spray cleaner and, after several range trips I use it to hose down the receiver and slide for a more extensive cleaning. The amount of gunk and dirt it flushed out is really quite impressive. It does strip ALL of the lube too so a careful oiling is needed afterward.

SandDude

Bearcat
I'm also a new SR9 owner & I've never owned a semi pistol like this.

I have yet to fire this gun, but I did a field strip just for practice.....

Anyways there is a lot of grease up under the slide, should I clean this & use some light Hoppes gun oil before firing?

-$D

2fast4u

Single-Sixer
yeah you should clean your gun before you shoot it... some dont but there's nothing wrong with doing it

2fast4u

Single-Sixer
S&W Fan":2rls93bv said:
i think it has a wierd takedown, but im used to a revolver.
whats weird about it? it can be done in about 15 seconds with no tools..... not being sarcastic, just wondering cuz Ive never stripped a revolver.

jhearne

Buckeye
Yeah the culture clash in wheel guns and semi's are certainly existent when new guns come out because not everyone comes apart the same way.

As for breaking down to clean fully, it's not a necessary thing. Just a field strip to get the barrel apart from the slide and frame. Use some oil wipe/sprays of your choosing to degrease and clean the metal bits to keep things lubed up for your next outing/use. Not needed every range trip, maybe every 250 rounds or so, it's all up to you.....no written rule about it.

As for a FULL Detail Strip, use my take-down guide to get the internals apart and go for it on your own, it's something you might look at doing every 1000 rounds or more or less, it's all up to you. There's no textbook examples of when to clean or not....it's up to you. If your gun's still functioning fine, just a field strip is all I'd say you'd need.

If your gun is starting to jam and show signs of failures from being dirty or maybe other damage, a detail strip would be wise to help trouble shoot it anyways....apart from cleaning.

Hope that helped. I use RemOil wipes and spray and have no problems, lubed just fine in my house for self defense, shoots just fine. Doesn't gunk up real bad either. No need to look for something more than that in my uses.

Josh

graygun

Hunter
Check for any signs of abnormal wear when you're cleaning and post-up if you do. Have fun shooting and be safe.

2fast4u

Single-Sixer
i have about 1200 rounds through it now. no weird wear anywhere.
ive shoot federal,Winchester,Remington, and magtech through it and the only problem i had was one fail to chamber a round completely when my GF as shooting,( she limp wrist-ed the hell outta it) so i nudged the slide and it was fine. i couldn't be more happy

2fast4u

Single-Sixer
hey graygun i have noticed some peening. i think im still going to shoot it a while though