SR9 brought me back to Ruger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

inuswetrust

Bearcat
First of all, huge thanks to Josh Hearn and Eric Galloway.

Now to my intro...
Back when the P85 was new, I was a police officer, and had GP100 on my right side, and a P85 in a shoulder rig. Even after the P85 recall, I still enjoyed the pistol, but after I left the department I got rid of both of my handguns, and bought the then new SW Sigma 9mm. The Sigma was great, and served me well over the last 15 years or so. Fast-forward to about a month ago when my wife decided that she wanted to shoot USPSA. We got her some pro training from a champion USPSA lady shooter who has a few custom 1911s. 2 in 9mm and 1 in .45. Of course my wife fell in love with the 1911, and we started looking for a nice 9mm for her. We found that there weren't too many options, and the good ones were pretty pricey. Then a guy at the LGS showed me an SR9. When I held it, I couldn't believe how slim it was for a double stack. When I pulled the trigger, I knew it was the one.

After I shot my wife's, I sold the Sigma and got a second SR9 for myself.
They're both stainless, and we're happy. WifEy wants to keep hers close to stock, but let me take the Mag Disconnect out so she can dry fire without the magazine (much easier to rack the slide). Also, it smoothed out the trigger a bit. Didn't reduce the pull, but removed a little of the gritty feel.
Having 2 of the same guns makes it easy to compare before and after mods.

As for my SR9, I've removed the DL (Jhearne's instructions and vids), polished the internals, and installed a Ghost Ultimate reset bar. Our 331 series guns already felt great, but the MD made a big difference for me. The Ghost didn't make a huge difference in feel to me, but feels a little smoother. For $20 bucks, it's worth it. I'm ordering a stainless guiderod, stainless striker indicator, and maybe a few springs from Galloway. Eric is not only a wealth of information, but a great guy.

The only small bit I have today for the forum is advice on a new vise I picked up to work on the pistols. It's a Bessey vacum mounted vise. The vacum works well anywhere, even on our coffee table.The vice itself is VERY flexible. It's easy to put the pistol in any position I need. It's more like having a 3rd hand instead of a table vise. Add a head mounted LED light, and it's actually fun to work on your tools. All I need is a nice head mounted magnifying glass.

Lastly, we were at the range yesterday (put about 200 rnds through each pistol...nice to have 4 mags each) and the guy in the lane next to wifEy was barely hitting the bottom of the paper at 25 ft. He was shooting a new SW.40. (maybe and M&P...but it had a stainless slide). Anyway, I gave him a few tips, had him dry-fire a couple of times and watch his sites. Told him that he was pushing, and needed to pull the trigger slowly, so that the sites didn't move at the end of the trigger pull, and so that it would be a surprise. His next shots were just a ring outside the bullseye. When he was leaving he asked what I was shooting. I let him dry-fire the SR9. He was very jealous of the trigger pull. I told him to have a look at the SR40.
Feel bad for the guy, just got a new pistol, and now realizes he wants another. :)

jhearne

Buckeye
Welcome to RF.com! Glad you found the videos to be helpful :)

Seems like you're enjoying the SR9s, always helps when the Mrs. wants to get into shooting too.

Josh