SR9 & blazers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RoyD1960

Bearcat
Fist 2 boxes of ammo through my New SR9 and I might as well have been tossing them by hand. Either I cant shoot, poor ammo or the trigger (hopfully one of the latter). After burning all the blazer ammo I put up a new target at 10 yds, switched ammo to federal 115 FMJ and put 17 rounds in less than 31/2 inches (much happier) While cleaning I decided to do a little polishing as detailed elsewhere in this forum. Easy enough! Have not shot it yet but the trigger is quite a bit smoother but still too heavy for my taste. Maybe a lighter string is in order later on.

jhearne

Buckeye
As for the spring, don't worry about ordering, there isn't a replacement for that part, but Ghost Inc. is in process of finalizing it's design and preparing to release the new Trigger Bar for the SR9. Reportedly it's going to be a 3.5 and 5 lb option. Keep an eye on the forums for it's release, I'm sure it'll come a buzz when it's time. If I'm able to there will be another how-to on it's install.

I can't say what was wrong with your first 2 boxes, was it Blazer Brass or Aluminum? I've shot plenty of Aluminum with decent results, Winchester White Box and other brands too, most any FMJ round shoots flawlessly and fairly accurately IMO. Most JHP rounds do well I have heard, I shoot a Fiocchi round, can get you the details after work. Pretty decent price for 50 rounds too.

Josh

Josh

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
I've shot Blazer brass and aluminum, Independence, WWB, and Federal FMJs through my SR9. Haven't noticed any real accuracy differences and it drops the empties just ahead of and right of my right foot with all. By contrast my S/A 1911 throws the empties 10 feet.

graygun

Hunter
I was watching some other folks shoot mine last Friday and the brass looked like it landed slightly behind and about five ft away.

I had removed the extractor,cleaned behind there and oiled the pin and spring on the previous cleaning. IDK if that had affect one way or another. It has always seemed to eject ok.

sparks701

Bearcat
Every gun seems to like different ammo, for me the blazzer aluminum is one of the most accurate in my SR9, I have always thought that was odd because it is so cheap. Find the one that works best in your gun and stick with it, if you can find it, HA, HA.

SR-FAN

Bearcat
My SR9 will eat anything.

A police shooting instructor checked my SR9 trigger and told me "I got a good one". I love my SR9. I wanted to buy another SR9, but an S&W M&P-9 with threaded barrel caught my eye. I shoot with a group of guys, many of whom have suppressors, and now I have two pistols that will accept a suppressor.

Bottom line, the SR9 and I will spend more quality time together. No more time in the bedroom safe.

The new 9 will be in the closet.

Great gun the SR9.

RoyD1960

Bearcat
Your how to's are the best Ive seen. Cant wait for the full take down video. I polished the parts you suggested with a stone and most of the gritty feel is gone but I think the trigger bar still rubs on the frame. The blazers were aluminum cases. No FTF or FTE, I even limp writed it a few times just to see. It may have just been getting use to the trigger. Oh heck who am I kidding it's probably the hands and eyes.

I really love the feel and fit in my hand even better then my 1911.

PS, one of the guys I was shooting with has a small Glock 40 shooting some cheap ammo from Academy that failed to fire at least 1 out of 10 for two boxes. Maybe the gun but it ate all the reloads from the range store. I cant remember the brand but will make a point to pass it on tomorrow.

jhearne

Buckeye
Glad I could help, if you read the post about my condition you'll understand why the video won't be for a while now, it'll require surgery and I will be out of commission for quite a few weeks. Maybe by the time I'm back in good shape the Ghost Trigger upgrade will be ready and available. I'm planning a How-To on it's install of both parts....the 3.5 and 5 pound upgrades. No release date is set yet, been pushed back a while, but it'll be worth the wait.

Josh