sr9 best ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

leadchucker62

Bearcat
good day all:
i just purchased a new sr9 and was wondering what ammo everyone is having the best accuracy with.
factory ammo not reloads.
i've put 2 hundred rounds through it with out a problem.

thanks Z

newtmaker

Bearcat
I tend to buy cheap when not doing reloads. The Winchester White box 115 and 124 grain 9mm loads work very well in my SR9 and are more than adequate for accuracy. However, I have discovered a handload using Hornady 90 gr. XTP bullets with 5.3 g Bullseye that are exceptionaly accurate in my gun. They shoot around 1350 fps and about 2" above POA but group consistantly inside an inch at 10 to 15 meters.

Walt

john16443

Single-Sixer
I've used the following brands of range ammo (FMJ round nose) in my SR9, and in all honesty, the accuracy was essentially the same with any one of them. It's usually the trigger guy that's the limiting factor for accuracy. You are located in Canada, so I don't know what may be available to you, but for factory loads, I'd say get whatever is cheapest and readily available to you.

Blazer Brass 115 gr
PMC Bronze 115 gr
American Eagle (manufactured by Federal) 115 gr
Magtech 115 gr
Federal Champion 115 gr (exclusively at Walmart, appears to be the same as American Eagle)
RWS 124 gr

I have fired Winchester White Box target ammo in another 9mm, and did note a SIGNIFICANT difference in accuracy for the worse. The visible lack of accuracy, some feed/eject issues with the WWB, and cost have caused me to stay away from it.

John

Scott

Single-Sixer
I have similar story as John16443 except Winchester White box has become my primary go-to ammo. I've run American Eagle, PMC, Federal, Remington, Blazer, and I think some others through mine with no problems.

Only problems I've had is with Tula - kind of expected as cheap as it is and with the aluminum cases, and with Golden Sabre. My SR9 doesn't feed well with hollow points. That was kind of dissapointing, especially since most people say that's the best SD ammo. I don't worry about it, though, 'cause I believe that my carry ammo should be what I shoot mostly, and I'm not going to put hundreds of rounds of $1 plus shells through it like I do the .20/round ammo.

Scott

Single-Sixer
I'll also add that I don't really know which are the most accurate; I can hold a 3-5 inch pattern pretty consistently within 20feet (that's my biggest concern as it is my carry gun). When I get beyond about 50feet I'm happy if I can keep it on a 8 x 11 sheet of paper. Doesn't really seem to matter which ammo. For me it's pretty much the shooter, not the gun, at that distance.