SR9 barrel peening

Help Support Ruger Forum:

buster2209

Bearcat
I've owned an SR9 for about 6 months now and have put about 1500 rnds through it of various grains and design.

I am happy with the gun, more than happy in fact, and have had zero problems with it.

I was more interested in what the barrel peening looks like on the SR9 just for general interest.

I found this thread (http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=19774) on this forum and the picture (below) contained within it

DSC_0258.jpg

and just wanted clarification that is the peening in question.

As I mentioned before, I am not having this problem with my SR9 and am so happy with it I was considering purchasing the SR9c, but, I already bought the Walther PPS which I now use as my cc.

3leggeddog

Single-Sixer
buster2209":73keoqt3 said:
I've owned an SR9 for about 6 months now and have put about 1500 rnds through it of various grains and design.

I am happy with the gun, more than happy in fact, and have had zero problems with it.

I was more interested in what the barrel peening looks like on the SR9 just for general interest.

I found this thread (http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=19774) on this forum and the picture (below) contained within it

DSC_0258.jpg

As I mentioned before, I am not having this problem with my SR9 and am so happy with it I was considering purchasing the SR9c, but, I already bought the Walther PPS which I now use as my cc.

Thats what the most command area to go bad ,also the "Ears" may deform bad.

jhearne

Buckeye
Yes the deformity in about the center of the pic is what is generally referred to as "Peening". But as 3leggeddog mentioned above, the two 'ears' sticking out the back of the barrel can sometimes peen a bit too.

Thinking that the general peening on the barrel is a timing issue while the 'ear peening' is a tolerance/slack issue.

Josh

buster2209

Bearcat
jhearne":3evsyrim said:
.Thinking that the general peening on the barrel is a timing issue while the 'ear peening' is a tolerance/slack issue.

If I have this right, the 'ear peening is a tolerance/slack issue', therefore it can be easily rectified by Ruger by changing the design on the barrel.

If the 'general peening on the barrel is a timing issue', how did Ruger solve this problem?

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Ruger has not solved this problem. They are still in the mindset of it is cheaper to just deal with the problem on a case by case basis. Most times a barrel change can fix the problems. I don't think they know what is really wrong. They just know that in most cases a new barrel can fix the problem. I really think there is a too wide of range of tolerances for the fit of certain SR9 parts. Get two parts that meet on the min or max side of tolerance and you can have problems. You would think Ruger would only have to take a few SR9s that are problem free after numerous rounds and spec out the parts. Use those numbers as their tolerances in other SR9s and the problems should go away. But I suppose that would cost them more money and time than what the returned SR9s are costing. Ruger needs to look at how the SR9 issue may also be affecting their reputation.

G XXII

Bearcat
Bought my SR9 this past October and have since put 650 rounds through it with no issues regaurding peening, like Iv'e seen posted. Very happy so far.

jhearne

Buckeye
buster2209":298fe3ff said:
jhearne":298fe3ff said:
.Thinking that the general peening on the barrel is a timing issue while the 'ear peening' is a tolerance/slack issue.

If I have this right, the 'ear peening is a tolerance/slack issue', therefore it can be easily rectified by Ruger by changing the design on the barrel.

If the 'general peening on the barrel is a timing issue', how did Ruger solve this problem?

You and I would like to think so regarding a fix for the "ear peening". It may be easy to fix on paper, but it's most definitely cheaper to just keep repairing the few who do notice it and claim it to be a problem than retooling and redesigning the barrel/slide to fit a bit better.

I really don't think they did fix the peening, nor do I think they will on the SR9. Less we see a revision "Mk II" or something on the slides (think P85?). Another thing to remember is that the new SR9c has only been out a couple of weeks and the shooters who have them aren't going to shoot them as much since it's a gun designed for carry. It's not like it's full size brother which can see shooters using it weekly in matches and regular range trips. It may be a while before we see a Peening SR9c, we may never, but given the similar design it can't be ruled out just because it's a different sized gun.

Josh

stchman

Bearcat
Here is my SR9 barrel with over 1000 rounds put through it. I see nothing to note. Yes, there is a little wear, but metal on metal is going to wear.

I posted this in the other SR9 peening thread.

SR9_barrel.JPG

3leggeddog

Single-Sixer
stchman":380u44m0 said:
Here is my SR9 barrel with over 1000 rounds put through it. I see nothing to note. Yes, there is a little wear, but metal on metal is going to wear.

SR9_barrel.JPG

You was in the 66% group,lucky you! I was in the 33% Not so good ,but I did send it in and receive a New barrel . Oh- by chance did you think that we don't know what a good barrel looks like ? hahahahahah

stchman

Bearcat
3leggeddog":1ewikvzk said:
stchman":1ewikvzk said:

SR9_barrel.JPG

You was in the 66% group,lucky you! I was in the 33% Not so good ,but I did send it in and receive a New barrel . Oh- by chance did you think that we don't know what a good barrel looks like ? hahahahahah

So you are saying that 1/3 of SR9s have bad barrel peening?

A. People are showing pics of the barrels.

B. Maybe I was interpreting what a bad barrel and good barrel look like.

C. I was chastised by a moderator by making smart @$$ comments, so I would watch it. It does not bother me in the slightest, but some people take offence.

elkhunter62

Bearcat
hi guys went to the club again today and shot 300 rds and all looks well the sr9 i have must be one of the sweet ones i like it alot did the fluff and buff and works awesome josh!! still trying to find witch ammo i like the best wwb are not to bad the magtech not sure i like it would like to find some that would put me in the red more im shooting 3 to 4 inch groups at 10 and twenty yards i guess not to bad anyway just wanted to let you all know about my sr9 it was made this year in jan.

snakespit

Bearcat
buster2209":2e2wii3x said:

DSC_0258.jpg

Yep that's a peener

Fulmanate

Bearcat
I dont think this is a big problem overall, MHO is very few SR9s had this problem and yes Ruger has fix the problem. My SR9, just purchased a few months back has 720 rounds through it with on problens my two brothers each purchased one with no problems, they are very reliable. I think some people just don't like Ruger pistols and prefer other brands so they keep talking down Ruger to push the one they like. If its man made its going to have problem sometimes thats why all manufactures supply replacement part and have repair centers.