SR9 Barrel Peening

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Turbobuddha

Single-Sixer
Well, since everyone else has posted pics or threads regarding their barrel peening on the SR9, I figure I might as well toss mine into the mix. I just through together some group pics. First three are my training gun which as 2000 rounds through it. The last one is my EDC which has around 400 rounds. EDC is starting to get marred up a bit. I think they speak for themselves so I won't explain them.

Peening-group1.jpg

Peening-group2.jpg

Peening-group3.jpg

Peening-EDC.jpg

Ouch.

I still feel that this problem is due to a tolerance/timing issue in the design rather than a metallurgy/manufacturing issue. I suppose the equipment COULD be "off" enough to were some models are getting it but not all. But too many of these keep popping up.

The sad thing is, I REALLY like the feel of the SR9 in my hand.

sicboy13

Single-Sixer
I honestly would never even consider an SR9 until I was certain that this issue was gone. I know every product, guns, cars, computers, flip flops, everything has issues, but it seems like there is about 10 "peening" threads on here at any given time....

2fast4u

Single-Sixer
i put 600 rounds through my SR9 last night in about an hour and 20 min and i still have no peening.
im up to a total of about 1200 rounds now, i keep watching but nothing yet
sorry to see the pictures that's a bummer

S&W Fan

Bearcat
Just got my SR9. havnt had any problems with it but only 150 rounds through it. i was impressed though they were all hollowpoints and had no problems. i hope mine stays nice, i like it alot. I like the thinnness of it also. Has a 1911 feel to it

810wmb

Single-Sixer
i got a little chip off my barrel just like that.

i sent it in, they replaced the barrel

jhearne

Buckeye
Hey guys, pain meds are ending their stay and my eyes feel like I'm blinking with sandpaper....contacts haven't been a 100% thing since the surgery. Hope this doesn't come off brash or short, but I think most of this is being looked at a little bit out of perspective.

We don't know if this peening results in any failure to the gun, no one's stepped up to firing one until she breaks lol. There have been a few chunks removed from the peening before, but never locked up the gun or something at the range....to my knowledge. Most either monitor it carefully after a range outing, take pics to compare or just send in the SR9 for a quick fix at Ruger. I've taken to the wait and see approach to mine. But once I'm up and about shooting again, I hope to put the SR9 to the test and see what it can withstand on those edges as far as abuse goes. All I can attest to is that it still works and is over 1000 rounds. Not the best with keeping track of the minor things like an accurate ammo count, just a good rough guess (1250 is closer).

This isn't the regular peening problem (on the top of the barrel/edge of the slide), and we've just started seeing it more often. I don't think it's that bad since Ruger is content replacing barrels and not putting out a red flag for any recall. I just think it's worse on RF.com since it's a place most people come to get help with their guns....like going to a Dr.'s office...lots of people are sick inside there, but on the outside of that realm, many, many more are healthy. There's success stories, but you go there for help, sorta like the forum. Not saying there's no problem, but I think some of the attention this is getting is more than it needs. I would go to say that the other peening issue would need to be fixed before a conclusion could be drawn for this 'new' issue. It's certainly possible that they are both linked. Could be a timing issue, could be a weird frame flex thing, could be anything honestly. I just know that I have no real clue lol.

Just keep monitoring things, take pictures if you need/want to. Keep a rough estimate of an ammo count through said SR9. Peening has presented in various counts of ammo, 200-1000+, some people have had it for a while and look down while cleaning and are like 'hey what's that?'. It's not normal, doesn't look normal, but it's not as bad as it's being made out to be I think.

Hope this was more informative than it looked from my end. Maybe my post-op care needs a warning about posting on forums haha.

Josh

revhigh

Hawkeye
jhearne":2pvmci5l said:
It's not normal, doesn't look normal, but it's not as bad as it's being made out to be I think.

Not so sure I'd agree with the above, Josh, I've owned a whole lotta guns over the years, and I've NEVER seen a gun battering itself to the point where it's deformed, like the SR9 does. It may not matter from a functional point of view that we know of, but I wouldn't own a gun with 'peening' like that. It'd be fixed or it'd be GONE, actually, it'd be fixed and THEN it'd be GONE. LOL.

REV

jhearne

Buckeye
Oh I understand what you mean Rev, if I was a man of better means I'd probably be looking elsewhere for a pistol, Sig, or a 1911 or something. But I can't say it's a gigantic problem until Ruger puts further scrutiny into it or gives us reason to believe it's a problem. They were pretty straightforward about the Recall, why not let us know what's up with this? Is it that big of a conundrum? I'm not the gun-guru, just a young adult with too much free time on his hands at home and work lol.

As it stands, I don't really have a need to send mine off, I'd like to see if it would break if given enough abuse. I like just shooting the SR9, minus the heavy trigger :\, enough to put countless rounds downrange for the heck of it, for the greater good ;). I really liked finding out how things worked when I was a kid, tinkering was always fun.

I know there's something wrong with the general design of the SR9, otherwise we wouldn't be having a conversation like this right now....or anytime for that matter. Mine just works right now, and for me, I'm happy with that. I'll worry about it when it's an issue. Self defense from a person who's basically on bed-rest for the next 3 weeks means diddly ;).

I really wish we could get some solid info on this from Ruger, this in the dark stuff is for the birds.

Josh

revhigh

Hawkeye
Ya know Josh, we've been discussing things civilly for a few years now, and I really wish we lived closer to each other so we could share some of our guns back and forth. Maybe have a few beers afterwards. I think it's a good idea to see if anything catastrophic happens if you just keep shooting it. I'd tend to believe that nothing will happen if you just keep shooting it, although I think at one point someone DID post that his 'locked up' due to the peening, but I could be wrong about that.

We could get our dawgs together too !! :D

REV

jhearne

Buckeye
Heh, the only guns you'll see me sharing are my 3 Rugers, my SR9, MKIII taper barrel and carbine 10/22. Never had a 'lavish' gun life, if that's a proper term. I've gotten the opportunity to shoot some nicer things, a few Glocks, a Kimber, SA1911 (Loaded) and some other various things along my life. Too young to have a good collection yet. Though as soon as I'm able to, I will be expanding my need for a real gun safe lol. That Sig SP2022 is still atop of my list.

As for the beers afterwards, I'll bring along a bottle of Jack and leave the dog at home as she's the most gunshy dog I've ever seen in my life. Doesn't even like it when I clean or fiddle with the SR9 in the same room as her, ears perk, but not the "hey lets go hunting" look a good bird dog would do. Granted the SR9 is no 870 racking home.

Someone mentioned the SR9 locking up due to peening IIRC, but don't think there was any photos, not something you bring a camera to the range for in hopes of catching that photo ya know? Though I try to keep my camera in the truck or atleast my cell phone nowadays for the 'handy' pic. I don't think much will happen really, just some more visual peening and worry after a trip to the range, but I don't think it'll lead to a failure. I think the original peening issue is more likely to cause it, just due to the nature of the deformity and how little some people clean their guns (myself included).

The old problem moves metal around due to an impact of possibly bad timing. This new problem moves metal a bit to make more room for poor tolerance....I think. Without any real data, you can only guess at best right now.

I really want to just get to the range with a good hi-speed camera and get some 300FPS footage of the SR9 cycling at a few different angles to see what's going on. Will be neat regardless of the outcome.

These past few weeks I've made friends with a man in Connecticut about my medical problems, he went through it all 15 years ago, and there's a possibility I may be up that way later next year to visit him. I'll be around and will let you know if we're going to be in the area....;)....less you find yourself traveling through Texas any time before then. Met RonEgg and Pawncop from the Lounge this weekend at the hospital in Dallas, great guys.

A shame that technology can bring us so close together, yet keep us so far away. Made some good friends here, and ain't afraid to admit it. Bunch of good folks here on RF.com.

Josh

A

Anonymous

1000 perfect rounds through my SR9. I perform regular maintenance. I see the same thing as on the barrel in the pics at the top of this post (tiny lip at the top front of chamber/barrel block)...the front of the block where it touches barrel hood is also shiny and looks like it has taken some hits. Not the massive 1/8inch lip some have posted in the past, but evidence that something has worn. I don't really see massive chips out of the sides or any real peening there as many of the pics above suggest, although they look shiny and worn a little. Doesn't seem to change anything.

Unfortunately I have no idea when this happened, whether early on, more recent, or progressive. I just caught onto all this 'peening' talk recently.

My gut feeling is that if the gun continues to function, and no further deformation occurs, it is not trash, but definitely suggests all the wrinkles are not ironed out of this firearm. I have spoken with several experts (IMO) who say they have seen similar things from time to time on different guns over the years, and that it did not necessarily disrupt function, but that they would prefer not to see this. Some have suggested to simply keep it lubed well and watch it for excessive ware.

I tend to feel that if it ain't broke, don't fix it, so i am not in a rush to sell mine or have it sent in for repair. Frankly, I like this firearm, and that is why I (and presumably many of you) purchased it. I honestly feel like if it is needed in an emergency, it is going to do its job...simple issue of statistics for me (< 1/1000 failure rate). However, I was planning on shooting many thousands of more rounds through it. If the issue worsens or there is any change in the performance of the action mechanics, i will not hesitate to send it in for repair. It seems that most people who have this repaired are not reposting with further issues.

My opinions are not meant to provide anything else other than another perspective on this issue. Take from this what you will.

I wish us all luck...lets hope they keep on firing the way they are meant to.

jhearne

Buckeye
B2D2Rug5":1pula8vj said:
1000 perfect rounds through my SR9. I perform regular maintenance. I see the same thing as on the barrel in the pics at the top of this post (tiny lip at the top front of chamber/barrel block)...the front of the block where it touches barrel hood is also shiny and looks like it has taken some hits. Not the massive 1/8inch lip some have posted in the past, but evidence that something has worn. I don't really see massive chips out of the sides or any real peening there as many of the pics above suggest, although they look shiny and worn a little. Doesn't seem to change anything.

Unfortunately I have no idea when this happened, whether early on, more recent, or progressive. I just caught onto all this 'peening' talk recently.

My gut feeling is that if the gun continues to function, and no further deformation occurs, it is not trash, but definitely suggests all the wrinkles are not ironed out of this firearm. I have spoken with several experts (IMO) who say they have seen similar things from time to time on different guns over the years, and that it did not necessarily disrupt function, but that they would prefer not to see this. Some have suggested to simply keep it lubed well and watch it for excessive ware.

I tend to feel that if it ain't broke, don't fix it, so i am not in a rush to sell mine or have it sent in for repair. Frankly, I like this firearm, and that is why I (and presumably many of you) purchased it. I honestly feel like if it is needed in an emergency, it is going to do its job...simple issue of statistics for me (< 1/1000 failure rate). However, I was planning on shooting many thousands of more rounds through it. If the issue worsens or there is any change in the performance of the action mechanics, i will not hesitate to send it in for repair. It seems that most people who have this repaired are not reposting with further issues.

My opinions are not meant to provide anything else other than another perspective on this issue. Take from this what you will.

I wish us all luck...lets hope they keep on firing the way they are meant to.

Welcome to RF.com, and thanks for the good report. I like hearing these kinds of reports....a good common sense approach to it all. Stick around RF.com, bunch of good folk and info here :).

Josh

gregnauman

Bearcat
Well I have finally put about 200 rounds through my SR9 and guess what. I have the peening on the top of the barrel. First 100 rounds it ended up with a slight edge that you could feel.

I put 100-150 more through it last weekend and now I have a 45 degree angle on that top edge. It shaved it right off. I can now see it when the barrel is in the slide and all put together.

Ill try to post some pics up soon. I am going to call ruger about this.

maybe my my wifes LCP will pass this in the mail on its way back.
Just sent it in because on the first box of 50 rounds 4/6 in every magazine jammed.
It wouldnt even allow you to rack the slide and eject a round out of the chamber. It would fall through the mag well.

My other LCP is flawless.

Man I wish they would get their crap together.

In my family we have 4 new rugers, 2 sr9's and 2 lcp's.

1 lcp sent in for constant jamming, 1 fine both 372 post recall LCP's
2 SR9's 2 trips for recall, 2 trips on one for mag release not working, and now possibly another trip for barrel peening. Not happy :roll:

2fast4u

Single-Sixer
one question. if its peening at only 200 rounds why dont you do what i do and shoot it till it starts failing? i mean its a Ruger you can send it back anytime......
so why not see how bad it gets before you send it back.....

Ruger9mmFan

Bearcat
my SR9 has a little bit rubbing on the barrel but no peening i only shot 150-200 rounds thru it i am gonna put another 100 thru it next week to see if it gets worst . Is it normal for a little bit barrel rubbing on the slide? the square part of the chamber barrel is the part thats rubbing inside top of the slide .if it gets worst iam gonna have it send back for replacement.

sicboy13

Single-Sixer
Ruger9mmFan":j5zljfu1 said:
my SR9 has a little bit rubbing on the barrel but no peening i only shot 150-200 rounds thru it i am gonna put another 100 thru it next week to see if it gets worst . Is it normal for a little bit barrel rubbing on the slide? the square part of the chamber barrel is the part thats rubbing inside top of the slide .if it gets worst iam gonna have it send back for replacement.

I have the same thing on my P95, I don't think it's anything to worry about, the rubbing I mean...