SR9 Barrel Peening

Help Support Ruger Forum:

revhigh

Hawkeye
S&W Fan":35z6isg1 said:
would an aftermarket barrel fix this problem?

If I had a gun that was peening like that, the LAST thing I'd do is put ten cents more money into it .... the only thing I'd do with a gun like that is sell it. I'd be surprised given the issues, if an aftermarket barrel company would even produce a barrel for the SR9.

REV

woodsman1st

Bearcat
I sent mine in because the slide wouldnt stay open on the last shot. I included a note pointing out the peening. The pistol now stays open on the last shot; however they did nothing and said nothing about the peening; so I called them up. The repair guy I talked to told me MY PISTOL WAS NOT PEENING! After ten minutes of his bullsh** I hung up without getting angry or hollering. Two hours later I called and talked to Susan; she took the complaint I had on the repair guy and that was it.
With the guy that I talked to, he not only refused to admit I even had any peening on my SR9; he denied that any was happening and all the photos were a fake. Susan told me that they did have some issues the first 6 months after the SR9 came out, but that there were no more complaints and it was just a few cranks complaing now.
So I am going to wait until my peening gets worse and then send it back with a letter from an attourney. This is total BS CRAP" from Ruger and it really shocks me; as I have been a Ruger customer since the early 1950s. They are not just denying responsibility; they are actually lying about it; and that really pees me off!
Ken

revhigh

Hawkeye
Although the peening is annoying and in my opinion unacceptable, and I've been vocal about that, I must admit, yours is the first instance that I've heard of where Ruger refused to resolve it.

Not that I'm doubting you, but of all the complaints over the last few years about issues regarding the SR9, yours is the first to end like this. I'd call them back and try again.

As much as Ruger HAS produced a very problematic gun in the SR9, which stinks, their customer service has always resolved any issues 'eventually'.

Something doesn't sound right with this story. Hope you get it resolved, and it damn well shouldn't take an attorney.

REV

Joker18

Bearcat
I do not own an SR9, however I have been following this issue since it became an issue. Ruger has always had a reputation of building tank-tough firearms and I am surprised that this issue continues. I do own a P-85 MkII I purchased in 1989 that was my service pistol for years. I have shot thousands of rounds through it with no incident. The only mishap was a broken firing pin tip last year that happened dry firing one morning. I replaced the firing pin and look forward to several thousand more rounds through it. There was a recall on my P-85 cocerning a firing pin safety issue during which time the Mk II upgrade was completed on my pistol. I am not comparing the two firearms, I am simply surprised that this issue continues with Ruger's reputation for durable firearms.

woodsman1st

Bearcat
revhigh;
I'm siorry but I did leave out something that may be important. The peening on my SR9 is very minimum, it is just starting but you can clearly see it. That's why I indcluded a note telling him where to look. If it was not for the photos here I would have missed it until it got worse; but thanks to these photos I went looking for it and found it, I should have mentioned that. If you scroll up a few times you will see where I stated that it was just starting; and that is what I said in my note to Ruger; and what I stated to the technician. However, if the tech had said something like "well that's not too bad lat's see if it gets worse or stays the same"; anything like that and I would have accepted it, But this guy said he didn't see anything; and then went on to discredit the photos that I told him about. I think this guy was just a jerk; and that was why I called back with my complaint. However, Susan then told me that this was an issue with the SR9 when it first came out and had been rectified. So it was the combination of both answers that got me irritated.
I am not one of those guys that just complain about Ruger; I love their firearms; I still own the Single Six, and 357 Blackhawk I bought in the early 50s; the 10/22 I bought the 2nd year it came out; two model 77s; a SP101 and the SR9. I am more ticked off over this guys refusal to acknowledge my peening, and Susan's stating that it is an old issue that no longer occurs than anything else. They are downplaying it instead of being honest about it. This is the first time I have ever had to send a firearm back to Ruger in over 50 years; and I am well aware of their fine reputation for customer service; also Susan was very polite on the phone; but they still denyed my complaint about the peening; and THAT'S what ticked me off. My SR9 shouldn't be peening no matter how slight it is.

Ken

revhigh

Hawkeye
I'd feel the same as you, Ken, and it is annoying when people in customer service just flat out lie. Maybe you can post some pics of your peening (I hope that's not too personal LOL) and some of the experts can give you their opinion. I agree with you though, if it was peening at all, I'd want it fixed. For them to say they haven't seen it since the first 6 months is just flat out disingenuous ... nah .... it's a LIE.

I think I'd try it again .... it seems that most here praise Susan in CS. No matter what one tech says ... Ruger will fix it if it's an issue.

REV

Al James

Hunter
sicboy13":29y01cwg said:
why oh why would anyone buy an SR9? The definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result....

Because we want one. I knew it was a new design going in. Kinda like that hot new car XYz200 that you have to have even though you know that 1st year cars always have problems. Or in the case of the SR9 that really hot girlfriend thats got issues. You learn to put up with the drama I guess. Worse yet I want a SR9c!

woodsman1st

Bearcat
sicboy13
Have you purchased a SR9? You quote "doing the same thing over and over..." so it sounds like you have purchased one or two or??? NaH, I don't think you have ever purchased one; and if you haven't how can you voice an opinion of one? What are you basing it on? Nothing?? I don't mean to get on your case; well maybe just a little bit; but your opinion doesn't seem to be based on experience with an SR9; maybe hearsay?

I have been shooting a long long time; owned many fine firearms and some junk before I knew the difference. Admittedly this is my first pistol that I have owned; however I tried several different makes and calibers and then made up my mind; and still it took a while to get used to it. And then the transition from being a wheel gun man for 50+ years took a while to get used to. Now I can give an educated opinion of the SR9; and I like it! I like the grip; it's ALMOST perfect for my hand; i will find a way to make it perfect...for me. i find it a lot more accurate than any of the others I tried; and the angle of the grip to the barrel makes it come up to my line of sight perfectly; much better than any of the others I tried except for one S&W; that one had the exact same grip angle. The sights are good for my eye; but I will make them better for me when I install some Tritium sights on it. I have been shooting it for a year now; all kinds of factory loads; and a very large assortment of hand loads some with jacketed bullets some without. I have gotten pretty good with it now, and I am confident that I can use it to defend myself with it, if I am ever so unlucky that I am forced to. Overall it is a great handgun...FOR ME!. Does it have problems? Yep, one a personal problem; the slide is far too stiff for me. The other problem is the pinging. However Ruger WILL TAKE CARE OF THAT PROBLEM...eventually. I am ticked of at the guy in repair that seemed so disinterested; but he is not Ruger Firearms! He is just some jerk that wont stay with them long unless he changes his attitude...and Ruger will go on. I have been a Ruger fan for almost 60 years now, and I have confidence in Ruger and the SR9. I am confident that Ruger will take care of this little annoying problem. I am also confident that before 2010 is over the SR9 will be a perfect handgun, for me! Just as my Single Six, 357 Blackhawk, 10/22, SP101, two mod 77s have been; Firearms that I first purchased in the early 1950s on up to last year was my latest one...and I still have all of them; they all work; and only the SR9 has been in for repair. And that doesnt count the dozen or so Rugers that my four adult children have. Pretty good track record I think! Ruger will take care of this problem just like they did the safety issue on the SR9; and it came back to us a better handgun with a better safety! Now that, my friend, is an educated opinion. One last thing; why would anyone buy an SR9?? Because I want one; and my many years of experience with Ruger has shown me that they build good strong firearms that last; like the two I have that are darn close to 60 years old and will be passed on to my children and grandchildren. Yep Ruger will fix the SR9; and I will get over my attitude with them over it; and my SR9 will be a handgun one of my kids can hand down 60 years from now to one of their kids. Assuming we can get rid of Obummer before his "hope and change" takes my guns away. lol

REV;
I'll have to borrow my sons wide angle lens to do the peening justice; lol back atcha. I figure that I will wait a little bit until I have done more shooting and see if it worsens; if it does then I will be back hammering on their door. Regardles of what happened the other day, I am confident that Ruger will fix it. I plan on moving back to Cottonwood Arizona in late spring or early summer; Cottonwood is only 40 miles or so from Prescott, and I can take it right to them and stick that jerks nose in the barrel if I have to until he sees the peening. lol As stated earlier mine isn't bad yet; I will wait and see how it goes.

Take care guys
Ken

tkarter

Single-Sixer
I see some here that had trouble with a P95 posting on how worthless a SR9 must be.

I for one can't sayI have had the pleasure of shooting one.

I do know Ruger stands behind their guns.

I also know there may be 6 million out there that aren't being complained about because everyone doesn't join a forum just to say my new gun is messing up.

What I know about Ruger auto pistols. For the price they deliver or always have for me.

Will QC go to heck maybe and then I might even feel differently. But I sure won't come here and try and convince many happy Ruger owners about my disdain. I will simply go buy a Glock and see how it treats me :D

tk

sicboy13

Single-Sixer
wow, back off killers.

There are pages and pages of people with problems regarding the peening issue on the SR9. It doesnt seem resolved. That's what I meant.

Toyota's accelerate without provacation now, not seeing me buy one of those either :)

as you were.

tkarter

Single-Sixer
There are many happy Toyota owners too.

Issues are just that and any production run will have some.

Ruger has them. Glock has them. Sig has them.

A 1911 just needs a gunsmith. :D

tk

woodsman1st

Bearcat
"why oh why would anyone buy an SR9?"
The question still implies disdain for the SR9; and you came into a roomfull of SR9 owners to ask it. We used to call people like that "caca disturbers", or something close to that lol. Just trying to stir up trouble, or badmouth something, without any knowledge about it. As in this case, their lack of credibility is soon apparent to all. Kind of simular to a child saying something outrageous just to get attenrion.
Maybe you should go to the Toyota forum and play there. lol

sicboy13

Single-Sixer
woodsman1st":2n08w1ay said:
The question still implies disdain for the SR9; and you came into a roomfull of SR9 owners to ask it. We used to call people like that "caca disturbers", or something close to that lol. Just trying to stir up trouble, or badmouth something, without any knowledge about it. As in this case, their lack of credibility is soon apparent to all. Kind of simular to a child saying something outrageous just to get attenrion.

Woodsman1st, I think maybe you need to re read my post. I am a Ruger owner myself and I am not trash talking the brand nor am I trying to stir up "caca" as you so quaintly put it. The title of this thread is "SR9 Barrel Peening".... I bluntly asked, in the face of an obvious design flaw, would anyone buy a gun they are pretty much guaranteed to have problems with? Everyone I know on here has a peening problem with their SR9. DO a quick search on google on SR9 and the letter p. It auto fills PEENING for you.

Could someone with more than 28 posts tell me what the heck was so wrong with my post?

S&W Fan

Bearcat
my question is will an aftermarket barrel stop the peening, and what if it is anyhow? Ruger will replace anything free of charge. always had great experience with them. i dont see a problem even if my gun starts peening sooner or later. iv had no issues with 500 rounds down my sr9, and iv outshot a few friends unsupported and free hand using colt commander sized 1911's that cost 1100 bucks. im happy with it

tkarter

Single-Sixer
sicboy13":1c1bqu04 said:
woodsman1st":1c1bqu04 said:

Woodsman1st, I think maybe you need to re read my post. I am a Ruger owner myself and I am not trash talking the brand nor am I trying to stir up "caca" as you so quaintly put it. The title of this thread is "SR9 Barrel Peening".... I bluntly asked, in the face of an obvious design flaw, would anyone buy a gun they are pretty much guaranteed to have problems with? Everyone I know on here has a peening problem with their SR9. DO a quick search on google on SR9 and the letter p. It auto fills PEENING for you.

Could someone with more than 28 posts tell me what the heck was so wrong with my post?

I do believe you asked a question that was impertinent to the SR9 peening issue.

Woodsman is the first I have heard of to suffer from Ruger not taking care of a legitimate issue.
I don't think his reasoning for buying a SR9 should have ever been questioned.

I would buy an SR9 if I wanted one. The only reason I don't want one is I don't buy guns with safeties on them for carry.

Ruger will fix their guns. Maybe a bit more hassle than used to be though. That will put enough crimp on the sale of Rugers.

The reason people buy Rugers they are USA made. They have good reputation as a manufacturer. Plus the SR9 has a more user friendly grip than the Glock does.

imho
tk

sicboy13

Single-Sixer
I'm sorry if I offended all of you SR9 peeners. :p I honestly didn't mean to cause such an uproar! My God, I had to google "impertinent". Busting out the 2 dollar words and everything! I will stick to reading about the SR9 problems and forget about trying to join in, you some touchy folks!

Seriously, I'm sure its a great gun once you ship it back a couple times.

Good Luck, guys! I'll be at the range with my KP95PR!

tkarter

Single-Sixer
No need to run off. I do believe you had some problems with your P95 at first. :D

It is alright to say I would never buy an SR9 because of the peening issue.

Oh and I am sorry a hillbilly like me could find a 3 dollar word. :D

tk

woodsman1st

Bearcat
"I'm sure it's a great gun once you ship it back a couple of times".
Lol. still sarcastic.
Wheee; I'm up to 29 posts.

tkarter;
by the way, I am confident Ruger will take care of the problem. I was still stinging from the techs attitude; he may be a great smith; he just doesn't have the personality to talk with the public. That takes a special kind of person like an old friend of mine, now passed away. Many years ago while working in customer service, for Sears, an irate customer came in complaining about a TV that kept failing to work. Doug, an easy going guy with a great smile and personality, kept trying to calm the irate customer down. (I would have lost patience with the customer long ago,) Finally at the peak of his anger the customer told Doug to take the TV and shove it up his you know what. Doug with a huge smile replied "I cant do that sir" "WHY NOT?" the customer shouted. "I still have one in there from yesterday" Doug replied with that same smile. The customer burst out laughing and things went smoothly from then on. As I said, it takes a special kind of person to work with the public; and this guy doesnt seem to be that kind of person; yet could still be a very valuable employee. Susan, on the other hand, was very professional with me; saying all the right things etc. however, it would seem she was a 'little less than accurate' in stating that the problem was on very early models and had been taken care of now.

What seems to be the general opinion on the peening? Is it a design flaw, metalurgy, or something else? I wish I knew just how widespread this peening is per centage wise; that information could tell us how quickly this problem will be cured. Once this problem gets into a well known gun magazine, I think Ruger will speed up it's efforts to come up with a solution.
Ken

Mike J

Hunter
woodsman-I doubt any gun magazine will print much negative about any of the major manufacturers products. They do make most of their money from advertising. It doesn't pay to bite the hand that feeds you.