SR9 and SR9C First Range Outing

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Guppy

Bearcat
Sunday I finally managed to get onto our club for a little range time.

With me I took 2 SR9 stainless fisnished models, 1 SR9C balckened slide. All had the trigger mechanicals polished, feed ramps and chamber mouth polished for reliability. The two full size SR9's had the striker spring shortened by 1.5 - 2 coils. All are post recall.

I ran about 300 rounds between the three guns. All handloads with WSF powder, winchester brass, Remington 115 FMJ and 115 JHP. The 115 FMJ are standard load and the 115 JHP is a low end +P.

My shooting impressions at 15 Yards.

Full Size SR-9's.
Shooting the full size SR9's for precision even with the extensive polishing and reduced striker tension was difficult and while shooting at speed was fairly easy. The trigger is pulling the striker back the entire trigger stroke which makes the trigger heavy with a moderatly crisp break at the end of the stroke. The polish job did take a huge amount of the grit and drag out of the trigger stroke. The trigger reminds me of a glock only slightly heavier. Shooting the SR9 for best possible groups the best I could manage was 3 inch groups with fliers ( fist size with thumb pointing towards you). However running fast doubles and holster presentations found the gun to be easy to shoot fast fist size groups running almost as fast as I can. Recoil and muzzle flip are very very mild. Point shooting at 5 to 7 yards was effortless due to the great grip characteristics of the gun making it a natural pointer for me.

The SR9C
Shooting the SR9C was a different story. The trigger is as above all mating parts being well carefully polished. The trigger breaks a little further forward sooner in the trigger stroke and creates the illusion of the trigger being lighter and easier to shoot, this despite the fact that this is my carry gun and the striker spring is factory stock. Shooting from teh bench at 15 yards was easy the gun showing a distince preference for the Rem 115 JHP load easily cutting a hole in the target. The 115 FMJ load shot into a nice 2.5 inch group with a fliers at this range. Fast shooting at 15 yards was fairly easy, but took more concentration than the full size to maintain consistent hits in a 3 inch group.

Opinions
Shooting the SR's was a lot like shooting a glock and produced about the same results I would were I shooting one. The exception being fast punch and fire or point / instinctive shooting. The SR's beat the glock in my hands due to the shape which fits like a glove and is a natural pointer. In my hands the glock does not retrun correctly from recoil for me to double tap it well at all.

Post fire Inspections
Looking the the fired cases I did note that the primer indent is almost a tear shape, this is due the firing pin still being extended when the gun is unlocking. These guns unlock with almost no rearward travel. Perhaps it is too fast and contributes to peening. Speaking of peening on one the SR9's I did notice a wear area that look like it was being compressed where the barrel locks into the ejection port. I do not know if this is the start of peening, only time and more rounds will tell. On the other SR9 and SR9c I noted no unusuall wear at all.

My hope is that ghost will come out with a trigger bar that will reduce the amount the striker is drawn to the rear before releasing and 3.5 LB disconnector. Fixes for pretravel and overtravel would be awesome. The SR9C is now my favorite carry pistol and I am comfortable I could make hits on zombies to50 yards.

I actually produced worse groups shooting these guns benched. I know it has to be me but I am m at a loss to explain this. I have shot numerous 1 -2 inch groups at 25 yards using various pistols. know

ConradM

Blackhawk
Aside from anything having to do with SR9c's (never shot one) I feel exactly the same way you do.

A lightened SR9 trigger is very similar to a Glock trigger. I think the reason for bad groupings with the SR9 is the over-travel. At least it is for me. Sounds like Ghost will be shipping there SR9 parts march 1st though so there is hope. :D

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
The Ghost trigger bars with the TCT will take care of overtravel. You adjust them during installation and you can have as little overtravel as you want.

"Pretravel" is not going way, I think. The srtirke is mostly cocked by the slide and pulling the trigger cocks it the rest of the way before the sear releases. Watch the striker as you pull the trigger and you can se it move further rearward before firing.

Changing springs (Ghost is working on replacement springs) could lessen the pull required, but I don't think you can shorten the trigger stroke without redesigning and replacing the whole fore control assembly.

My SR9c shooting impressions at 18 yards mirror Guppy's. I am working up handloads and last night was getting 1 1/4 inch groups at 18 yards off the bags. I am sure overtravel is affecting me and am getting a Ghost trigger bar ASAP.

welder

Buckeye
Looking the the fired cases I did note that the primer indent is almost a tear shape, this is due the firing pin still being extended when the gun is unlocking. These guns unlock with almost no rearward travel. [QUOTE}

I had one of three P95's that did that . Never was a problem but I sold it anyway. It looked like a smear across the primer. I didn't like it too much because of that. But, about 500 rds or so and no problem. I work with the new owner and he has had none either?

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
DAO. Cycling the slide mostly cocks the striker. Pulling the trigger moves the striker fully to the rear before the sear releases. That's why I just can't believe that any aftermarket widget will be "just like a 1911".