SR556

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MFD

Bearcat
Have a list of questions for those owning/shooting subject rifle/carbine, how do you like them in terms of fit and finish, accuracy, trigger pull, factory installed sight system, etc.?? Has anyone measured the dimensions of a fired case and determined throat dimensions?? Curious if they are set up w/ std. SAAMI spec chambers or something different. Is the chamber itself chrome lined as the bore itself?? Is the flash hider installed in such a manner that it can be removed and is it threaded as per std. mil spec? Does the forend rail system come w/ covers?? Are they equipped w/ forward grip on the forearm?? I know, lots of questions and reason is that I have one being sent to my dealer within next few days. I have the option to refuse, but depends on what kind of thoughts you folks who own one feel about them. I have numerous built AR15's and would hope this new Ruger would be equal if not better than those std. 15's. Appreciate any and all responses.

Take care,

martin

MFD

Bearcat
Hello,
Thanks for pointing out the obvious to me, the Ruger web site. It would appear the rifle is well equipped now that I have reviewed the mfg.'s comments. Again, thanks.

martin

45acp2go

Bearcat
MFD,

I will try and answer a few of your questions. MAC702 is correct on the Rail Covers, they do help as the rails are some what sharp if you hold onto the rails when firing.

I have had a DPMS Panther, Olympic and Bushmaster AR's. The trigger is just as good or better. The fit and finish is excellent. The sights are really nice, they maintain their accuracy even when raising and lowering them. I have a 2 - 7 Tactical scope with a quick release. You can switch back and forth with the scope and iron sights without noticable change. I have not shot beyond 100 yards but it is easy to maintain a 1 inch grouping with the scope and about 3 inch or less with iron sights.

I haven't made any measurements like you are asking so I can't answer that. The flash hider I believe is threaded and pinned. I have run about 200 rounds through mine without any type of malfunction. The piston operation is real nice and when it comes to cleaning the bolt there is no dirt or powder on it. I also like the ability to change the piston operation to single shot for training unexperienced shooters.

I believe unless something comes out that puts the SR556 to shame I will probably never get another AR.

I have also added a rail mounted green laser and tactical rail light. Using the green laser you can empty a mag at 25 yards as quick as you can press the trigger and keep everything in a 3 inch circle.

Great AR

FJ40INTOW

Bearcat
My brother has the Ruger SR-556 and the SIG 556.
The SIG is up for sale....

I don't have answers for your technical details but can say that the Ruger is a class act.

SIGWatchman

Bearcat
I can only answer as follows:

I have one and for the most part like it. However I do wish I didn't have to sell my DI Bushmaster as it ran like greased lightning. The Ruger has yet to prove itself to me.

Fit and finish are good. It is a solid carbine. It uses a standard upper and lower with a custom cut rail from Troy. Interesting it's all pinned up but I'm not too concerned with any disassembly issues as the op rod is supposed to be self cleaning.

I would think is silly to not chrome line the chamber but the bore. On an AR rifle, the chamber is part of the barrel so I would assume it is chrome lined. Ruger does have a general inquiry option on their website.

Flash hider is not pinned and uses standard threads, I already changed mine out for a Phantom.

The trigger on mine is good enough that I am really on the fence as to whether I want to swap it out for something else. It is not match grade buy much nicer than any factory AR trigger I've shot yet. It's good enough that with a little more break in may just be fine as is.

Chamber spec.. hmm, dunno but again I would assume standard as it is listed as 5.56/.223. SAAMI (I again assume) would be .223 only. However, I did have a nasty failure to extract issue that (at this time) am blaming myself on. I think my chamber was too dirty and sticky from using the wrong grease and or possibly an ammo problem which I will look into once I dig my micrometers out. However, some research dug up this..
http://www.defensereview.com/ruger-sr-5 ... -solution/
I must say I am not calling this a fault with my carbine yet. I think it was just too sticky in the chamber for the problem I had. I will report on this board any and all issues I encounter with my Ruger SR556 and if no one has any complaints I may start a thread as a clearing house of sorts on any Ruger SR556 problems as there are some (which again needs to be pointed out that any new design has growing pains) issues.

There seems to be at least two different carriers used as well as bolts.

Also, it seems like every one has a slight offset with the transition from the uppers rail to the Troy rail. I cannot mount anything across that seam and every one that I have held has shown the same problem. This is a *very* minor issue and I am only noting for reference.

There is also two issues that follows all piston operated AR rifles and that is carrier tilt and cam pin drag. There is one documented issue with severe carrier tilt on an SR556 out there that I know of:
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php ... 556&page=8
My carbine shows typical wear that has not progressed and I am not concerned. I will report anything that may come up.

It is *very* accurate. More accurate than the Bushmaster XM15 it replaced. I am very happy with the accuracy and once I get the fear I have with the failure to extract problems I will call mine a success. I do very much like the rifle so please don't view this as a negative post, just pointing out what I've learned.

MFD

Bearcat
Hello,
Very much appreciate your informative response to my questions.
I shoot only reloaded ammunition in all of my firearms and curious of the chamber dimensions as to whether it was a "zero" or plus or minus chamber and will resize my brass some 2-.004" less for just enough clearance. Now if the chambers are chrome lined, and I would assume they are, would think that would aid in functioning/ejection of the spent case. As mentioned in the link you gave, the adj. valve issue may well have bearing on the potential problem.
Glad to hear that the FH can be replaced for never cared for the Ruger version. Have a Ruger Mini14GB/LE with that flash hider and don't care for it. Phantom is the route I will take as well. I have a muzzle brake/FH made to fit std. 15/16 muzzle threads and can say the thing really does work. If intersted in one can hook you up w/ the fellow who makes them and at a very reasonable price to boot.
Also glad to hear the trigger is a good one and that the fit and finish is well done. Again, thanks very much for the feedback. I should have mine within a couple weeks if not sooner and will "ring it out" and let you know how I got along with it. Take care,

martin

deadduck357

Single-Sixer
you are going to be very pleased with this SR556. Its rock solid and accurate. Its the best AR I have ever owned. Best $1,500 I have ever spent.

Oh and the FS is NOT pinned, std. mil thread.

MFD

Bearcat
I don't think it is all that difficult to find them. My local dealer has been taking calls from his distributors asking if they wish to stock them. I should have mine in about a week or so according to my dealer.

HH

Bearcat
I like mine. I put an A2 buttstock on it but otherwise will keep it as manufactured. My only mild complaint is the weight. That's because I carry my rifles around in the woods for plinking. I think it's interesting how the AR has evolved from Stoner's original 5 lb .308 to today's much heavier .223s.
HH

fossils and guns

Single-Sixer
MFD":1eubzqx3 said:
I don't think it is all that difficult to find them. My local dealer has been taking calls from his distributors asking if they wish to stock them. I should have mine in about a week or so according to my dealer.

Thanks, MFD, I will be trying to get mine four weeks from now and I cannot wait!
I just bought a Colt M4 and I love it, and I 'm excited to compare it to the SR 556.

deadduck357

Single-Sixer
Was at a gun show this weekend and saw no less than 6 different dealers with them on their tables.

9x19

Hunter
I'll bet you're gonna love it.... a bit heavy compared to an M4gery, but not at all un-wieldy... to me.

mm6mm6

Blackhawk
I fired a Rock River for 8 hours today. It made my Ruger SR-556 look even better. We had a major failure with one of ten RR AR-15's today. Brand new guns too.

I like everything, absolutely everything about the Ruger SR-556. I think it's the best out of the box AR available. Without spending thousands more on a total custom.

Enigma

Hunter
Has anyone heard anything about the hammer and trigger pins 'walking out' on these guns?

I've heard rumblings on another forum (ARF.com?) about Ruger insisting that rifles be returned to the factory to replace H&T pins that won't stay tight, etc. I dunno if that's Ruger-hating, propaganda, or the truth.