SR556

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cluelesspa

Bearcat
that was a first batch issue from what I read. I guess they fixed it. so as long as you buy a recently built SR-556 then you should be fine.

the newer SR-556 have the slightly different carrier group and the fixed pin issue.

oneshot

Bearcat
How do you know the difference between a newer and older model? Serial #?
Monte

cluelesspa

Bearcat
see my posting above if you want to order one online. D&D usually keeps fresh new stock as they sell out all the time so you should be getting a newer mfg date.

no way to match up serial number unfortunately. have not seen any correlation (see serial number thread on here).

mikeco

Bearcat
Enigma,

I did have my pins walk during the first outing with the gun. I purchased mine in early July. A simple tap and I was back operating.

I did contact Ruger and they wanted me to send it back. I have an upcoming carbine course so I declined at this time. I had some KNS anti-walk parts in the extras bin, installed those. Life is good, I've put about 500 rounds through it without any other problems.

I plan to re-contact Ruger later in the year and see what's what.

Mike

MFD

Bearcat
I am supposedly to receive my new one in a few days and if the pins are walking would think it could be due to either the J lock/spring is not engaging, spring leg of hammer not holding trigger pin, pin diameter out of spec., or worst case would be that the holes in lower receiver are out of spec. If that's the issue, then it would need to go back to the factory for replacement of the lower receiver. Surely they would have checked that in QC?? If they fire them at all prior to shipping, most likely just a few rnds. and that would not cause the problem to show up??

fossils and guns

Single-Sixer
I finally found a SR 556 at a local shop today. They were asking $1665 for it so I bought a Armalite A2 Carbine instead.
I realize the SR 556 is a much better gun, but I don't want one until I can find it for $1500, and I wasn't even ready to spend that now (just bought a Colt 3 months ago!).
My bonus comes in March and I will definitely be getting one then (can't wait!).

fossils and guns

Single-Sixer
Thanks, Mac702. My girlfriend's next door neighbor is a gunsmith (damn good one too). He also has an FFL and said he'd order anything for me, so I'm stoked about that. I have always stayed away from buying guns online, mainly because of my ignorance of how the process works.

mbott

Bearcat
mbott":35u1cvs3 said:
I have one on order and am looking forward to it showing up.

My order actually went in on September 21. It arrived yesterday and I brought it home today. Now I have to wait to get to the range. grrrrr :)

--
Mike