SR40c problems & questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jbluez

Bearcat
Hello RF,
New guy here, first post. I bought an SR40c about a year ago. Right out of the box the pistol has numerous issues. Jams, FT Feed, Stovepipes, and the lower cam block pin walked out the very first time I shot the pistol. I'm talking all the way out, landed on the range floor. I sent it back to Ruger and they performed the following on my pistol.
Items repaired: barrel, extractor, and magazine latch.
Items replaced: Trigger bar reset, trigger bar assembly, fire control housing, and ejector.
They fired 50 rounds of Black Hills 155gr and everything was fine, etc.

So, on my first trip to the range after I got the pistol back from the mothership, the dang cam block pin walked out again on the first mag fired. I lost faith in it and put it in the safe for 9 months or so. Recently, took it out to the range and fired 200 rounds through it.
Several concerening issues. *The last round in the 15 round mags jams in the mag every time. The 9 round mag is fine.
*The spent brass is flying at least 15 feet and further, in a crazy uneven pattern. I've never seen pistol brass fly this far and I've shot many thousands of rounds through various pistols. * The barrel has some nasty peening at the tip of the hood closest to the grip.

So it's going back again. Meantime, I wonder if anyone could explain the crazy strong ejection of the spent brass? Also, any idea on why the last round is jamming in the 15 round mags? I really want to love this pistol, but the lower cam pin walking is a problem, and the ejection, mag issue and barrel peening is concerning. FWIW, I shoot Blazer Brass, MagTech, and Fiocchi all 180 grain ball when at the range. Our range is outdoors and I often have a 25 yard bay to myself, thus the ability to see and measure the distance the spent brass is flying.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts. I also wonder if these issues are common with SR ** c series of pistols?

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Hi Jbluez there's a lot there so I'll break it down in parts.
-"the lower cam block pin walked out the very first time I shot the pistol. I'm talking all the way out, landed on the range floor."

I had this exact same problem that required a trip back to correct. In my case the pin didn't come all the way out but about halfway. I'm a little shocked this is still happening as that was now years ago. The new pin corrected this and it never happened again.

-"The spent brass is flying at least 15 feet and further, in a crazy uneven pattern. I've never seen pistol brass fly this far"

Mine does this as well and so do all of the SR40c's I've heard of. They sling brass a mile. I never considered it a problem but I can see how it would be annoying to others if at an undivided outdoor range. I usually try to be in the far right lane if possible but most of my shooting is at an indoor divided range.

-"The barrel has some nasty peening at the tip of the hood closest to the grip."
This is normal and every SR40c even the 9c I've seen has this. It's not really a problem and will eventually stop. Some sand and polish it off. I did.

The last round jamming in the 15 round mag makes me think it's the magazine spring but that's just a guess. I'd take the magazine apart and have a look there may be something obviously wrong you might notice, maybe not. I've heard of magazine springs and even the followers being installed backwards on several reputable brands out there from the factory. It's rare but happens.

I hope this trip back straightens it out for you.

jbluez

Bearcat
Thank you so much for the reply. It gives me faith that my SR40c is going to come back in great shape. I really love everything about the pistol, I just want it to be super relaible.

John

Latest posts