SR-9 Issue

Help Support Ruger Forum:

PeterGibbons316

Bearcat
So I searched a little and couldn't find anything on this so I signed up and will make a new thread......

I just bought a SR-9 a few weeks ago and have taken it to the range just once so far. This is my first gun so I am a huge n00b when it comes to these things.

I noticed that when I have a round in the chamber and then drop the magazine and pull the slide to eject the round it works fine. But then when I load another magazine and cock the slide again the slide doesn't move all the way forward and the gun will not fire. I have to push the slide all the way forward with my thumb to get it to fire. So far this has happened every time I have manually ejected a chambered round, but never during normal operation.

Any idea what could cause this? Is this something I can fix myself with cleaning/lubrication (although the gun is brand new and very clean to begin with), or should I contact Ruger and send it back to them to fix?

TIA,
-PG316

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Sounds like you are doing something out of sequence, make sure when you are doing this the gun is pointed in a safe direction (at a range) or use some 'snap caps'. Does the pistol load a round from a full magazine from a locked back slide? If it does, your gun is probably fine.

PeterGibbons316

Bearcat
Cheesewhiz":1u86q2x8 said:
Sounds like you are doing something out of sequence, make sure when you are doing this the gun is pointed in a safe direction (at a range) or use some 'snap caps'. Does the pistol load a round from a full magazine from a locked back slide? If it does, your gun is probably fine.

Hmmm, I hadn't tried loading it from a locked back slide. I just did that and it seems to work fine. I just ejected a round then replaced the magazine and this time I was careful to pull the slide all the way back then just let go. When I did this there was no problem. Then I tried again but instead of letting go I held the slide and let it return more slowly, this recreated the failure.

I will adjust my sequence to always lock the slide back before putting in a loaded magazine so that this doesn't happen again.

Thanks for your help!

farman

Bearcat
This problem, I believe, is called failure to return to battery. This means the slide will not go completly forward. Mine did this occasionaly after firing a round and I'd have to give it a little push. After about 300 rds it works fine.
I also had to polish up the feed ramp a little. It was getting a little burr at the bottom from casings hitting it. So far so good.
Give it a chance to work it out. Hope this helps a little.

Grendel

Single-Sixer
It isn't uncommon for folks new to semi-autos to "ride the slide" forward when reloading. You either need to let the slide go into battery from slide lock, or ensure you've brought the slide fully to the rear manually and then release it completely. Basically, you've got to let that stiff recoil spring do all the work.

-JT

jhearne

Buckeye
+1 on what Grendel said, "Slingshot" the slide, rather the "ride" technique. Let the slide do the work, the gun will be fine.

Josh

PeterGibbons316

Bearcat
Grendel":3t3ljo6a said:
It isn't uncommon for folks new to semi-autos to "ride the slide" forward when reloading. You either need to let the slide go into battery from slide lock, or ensure you've brought the slide fully to the rear manually and then release it completely. Basically, you've got to let that stiff recoil spring do all the work.

-JT
Yeah, this is exactly what I was doing.

kscott

Single-Sixer
I agree with the above, make sure you completely release the slide and let it "slam" home. When you shoot and it cycles, I doubt this will be a problem because it will be all on the recoil spring. If for some reason it does still exist a little buff on the feed ramp and clean and lube up the rails should do the job. I had a little Colt Woodsman that didn't like to return to battery... just a little oil and it now runs like a top.

Turbobuddha

Single-Sixer
+1 on the ride the slide. Just push the release or pull the slide back and completely release. Don't be afraid to let it slam home. That's what it does when you shoot it. Unless your in a movie and your trying to sneak up on the bad guys and didn't have a round chambered in order to provide dramatic effect later. But otherwise, jsut slam that puppy home. That's how it's designed to work.

And being a new gun, don't forget to clean it up and give those rails a good lube job. I like CLP myself but Mobil one works real nice on the slide rails as well. Since I use CLP elsewhere on the gun I just use it everywhere so I just have one lube in the mix.

Congrats on the SR9. I have 2 and have been very pleased so far. My training gun has been on the ground a few times and has over 2000 rounds through it and still runs like a champ.

7tcu

Bearcat
Same thing happened to me but my problem ended up being very bad barrel peening-had to send back to Ruger as it kept getting worse.

Vecco

Single-Sixer
PeterGibbons316":26u864tu said:
Any idea what could cause this? Is this something I can fix myself with cleaning/lubrication (although the gun is brand new and very clean to begin with), or should I contact Ruger and send it back to them to fix?

TIA,
-PG316

Have you tried with 16 rounds loaded in the mag vis 17.

sicboy13

Single-Sixer
Peter, just wanted to drop by and say, "whaaaaaaaaat's happening..."

Anyway, good advice given here so far, strip it, clean it, lube it (don't over lube) and then hold it very firm....