SR 556

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JeepVideo

Bearcat
I was able to handle an SR-556 at the Cabela's in central PA. It did seem a bit heavy but also very nice. I've been trying to keep up with the owner reviews - anyone else hear anything definitive about unusual wear due to carrier tilt? Is it just a spurious issue or widespread?

I would like to get one of these but am in a holding pattern...

Kenneth L. Walters

Single-Sixer
I'm going to buy one of these two.

What's the difference in the mechanisms (yes it is true that I know almost nothing about these guns) and is the Ruger worth almost twice as much as the Smith?

deadduck357

Single-Sixer
Kenneth L. Walters":33qacjaa said:
I'm going to buy one of these two.

What's the difference in the mechanisms (yes it is true that I know almost nothing about these guns) and is the Ruger worth almost twice as much as the Smith?

Going price is between $1,500-$1,700.

Main difference is the Ruger is Piston operated and the Smith is Direct Impingement operated(DI).

Some Piston kits can cost $300 - $500 plus the price of a one piece bolt carrier is $150 - $200. This is for converting a DI to piston.

The Ruger has Troy Ind. Battlerail $275-$300, Troy Ind. Battlesights front and rear $260, Hogue grip $25 plus 3 Pmags to boot.

The SR-556 is a pretty good deal when you start adding whats all offered.

c.robertson

Bearcat
I love mine. Only one small complaint: The numbers on the gas adjustment knob are difficult to see.
Not a major concern though.

It will be my first choice for personal / community defence in the event of social collapse. (If you know what I mean?)

mm6mm6

Blackhawk
RugerSR556025.jpg

It works great for me! The above 30 rounds were fired standing, offhand, at 25 yards with the factory Troy battle sights. Time between shots was just enough to reaquire the sight picture.

Scoped with a Leupold 3-9, it fired 100 yard groups of 1 1/2" with my lousy finger on the trigger. This was with a bore that had not been cleaned after 300 rounds, firing cheap Remington bulk 45 grain hollowpoint ammo. Can't ask for much more than that.

Prices are much lower than the MSRP. I think the Ruger SR-556 is worth every penny with all the standard features and it's definitely worth it when it comes time to cleaning!

No.1Nick

Single-Sixer
Haven't had a chance to take mine out yet but am really impressed with all its features and style. Oh yeah, I paid $1359 + tax !
:D :D :D :D :D

10MMGary

Single-Sixer
Not sure how wide spread this is but I have seen two in the Tampa FL area NIB for $1,299.00 and two in the Blue Ridge GA area NIB for $1,350.00 and $1,395. They seem to be a very good 5.56 piston carbine with loads of quality after market accessories for $1,395.00 and even better at $1,299.00, however I wouldn't dream of paying $1,500.00--$1,700.00 for one though.

I am also curious if the carrier tilt is really a serious problem or just being blown out of proportion via the WWW. I have been holding off to see if the price will continue to fall like it has on all things AR. We just had a dealer in the area sell a couple of cases of Colt 6920s for $1,199.00, it is good to be a buyer right now.

JeepVideo

Bearcat
10MMGary":zqzgfptb said:
Not sure how wide spread this is but I have seen two in the Tampa FL area NIB for $1,299.00 and two in the Blue Ridge GA area NIB for $1,350.00 and $1,395. They seem to be a very good 5.56 piston carbine with loads of quality after market accessories for $1,395.00 and even better at $1,299.00, however I wouldn't dream of paying $1,500.00--$1,700.00 for one though.

Great prices 10MMGary, I saw one at Cabela's in Hamburg, PA with an asking price in the $1,600 range. This baby is growing on me... love to get one for the prices you're finding. Maybe someday ;)

Also great link to the Ruger video discussing carrier tilt. I was concerned about that as it popped up and then I couldn't find a resolution (real issue or 1st production run kind of thing).