SR-556 Update to the Update

Help Support Ruger Forum:

K4AA

Bearcat
Took the SR-556 to the range today and conducted faily severe testing: 120 rds Fiocchi as fast as the range officer would let me fire, roughly one per second. Flawless performance. Took it home and did a detail strip and cleaning. This gun is put together as good if not better than my LMT gas piston, POF, LMT with Adams, Stag and AR57. I saw no evidence of receiver extension wear. My DI guns have more wear. If you lube the bottom of the BCG as well as the bottom of the extension, I doubt if you can wear out the extension. Yes, there are several versions of the BCG which may tell a different story. My gun is serial number 8xx, very early.
I would like to see anyone produce a sample of a worn out receiver extension that caused a malfunction. Photos please: no third hand internet stories. Anyone who is holding back buying this low priced excellent gas piston gun because of carrier tilt mythology or the old Ruger can't make new products tale, is missing out on a great gun.

deadduck357

Single-Sixer
Good to hear you sounding like your pleased with your SR-556. Since I have had mine I have not shot any of my other AR's. I cant wait till Ruger comes out with another variant of the SR-556, caus I want another.

cluelesspa

Bearcat
I had mine out for the first time, lubed the inside of the buffer area (pushed back the buffer about an inch or two and used lube and a few drops of gun shield lube on the retaining pin. Actually lubed the entire Buffer Carrier as well.

(note it had NO noticeable wear from the test firing from factory when I first got the gun).

today, after about 400 rounds (no additional wear). nothing even remotely like what is shown in the internet pictures. I was using setting 2 and firing brass .223 ammo (not wolf).

I just purchased mine this week August (supposedly a recent build from factory)...

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
Great to hear this report. I would get one but due to a recent piston upgrade of one of my Bushmasters, it is not likely. None the less, I have been following closely all of the SR 556 posts and it looks like Ruger did this one right. There can't be too many ARs, no matter who makes them ! :mrgreen:

cluelesspa

Bearcat
Sig685":2za4zsg8 said:
Hey clueless, what is a Buffer Carrier? I'm not familiar with that part.

not sure if I am using the right term (newbie to the AR world) but its the the BFG that moves and ejects each round and pulls next round into chamber. when that slams back it hits the buffer (a spring thing). well under that buffer is where the carrier tilt issue is showing up on some guns. you can see pics if you google Ruger SR-556 and tilt issue.

I lubed that area and the carrier itself and so far so good. let you guys know in the next day or two when I clean the gun down again after a few more rounds. (try and get a picture to show the wearing if any due to the carrier tilt issue).

Sig685

Single-Sixer
Ok, I think you are talking about the bolt carrier, the long tube in which the bolt rides. The bolt carrier, the bolt, the firing pin and the firing pin retainer pin are called the Bolt Carrier Group (BCG).

I am fully aware of the carrier tilt issue that may or may not exist on the SR-556; it is definitely an issue with most ARs with a piston system. I have seen various reports but have no personal data to offer or make any kind of judgement, so I'm quiet about it, ( a nasty habit, I only talk about stuff I know.)

You should lube the entire carrier body and the bolt itself. I use grease for that, and don't forget to grease the bolt lugs.

cluelesspa

Bearcat
thanks for the tips :)

I lubed the BFG and the parts that make up the BFG with Weaponshield lube.

http://www.steelshieldtech.com/mainpage/retail-product-weapon-shield.html

It supposedly just as good as grease on metal to metal contact. he used to make MP-11 or something like that but ended up selling that off and now moved onto a Weaponshield. made here in Pittsburgh, PA by a guy named George Fernell. a nice guy who responds to emails and questions...

I think they just came out with grease so may try that as well.

So I lubed the outside of the Carrier, the parts inside that I could access from the outside of the Carrier Group, and the behind the buffer spring area and the stop pin of the buffer.

Canazes9

Bearcat
Sig685":2377u0g2 said:
Ok, I think you are talking about the bolt carrier, the long tube in which the bolt rides. The bolt carrier, the bolt, the firing pin and the firing pin retainer pin are called the Bolt Carrier Group (BCG).

I am fully aware of the carrier tilt issue that may or may not exist on the SR-556; it is definitely an issue with most ARs with a piston system. I have seen various reports but have no personal data to offer or make any kind of judgement, so I'm quiet about it, ( a nasty habit, I only talk about stuff I know.)

You should lube the entire carrier body and the bolt itself. I use grease for that, and don't forget to grease the bolt lugs.

Have you tried Prolix?

http://www.prolixlubricant.com/productdetails.html

I just bought some and am giving it test run, so far so good. Has seemed to improve the reliability of my 10/22 w/ a GM barrel.

David

Sig685

Single-Sixer
Canazes, I'm been using TW-25a for some time now. I see no reason to change unless something drastically superior is available.