SR-556 Rear Sight Problem:

Help Support Ruger Forum:

The Oracle

Bearcat
Have any one of you, new SR-556 owners, seen this? My Troy rear (Ruger factory) site hits the side of the upper when you fold it down and you have to push it over to the left a little bit to get it to go to it's down position and it's denting it. :shock:

DSCN2123.jpg

DSCN2125.jpg

Thanks,

MAC702

Single-Sixer
Don't have one YET, but I'd be on the phone to Ruger right away because it should NOT do that. It's probably the sight, so you should get a new one with no hassles.

deadduck357

Single-Sixer
Have you fired it yet ? Most people that have a SR-556 their sights are pretty much dead on out of the box, some have had to adjust a few clicks. Mine is just like yours, it hits on the left and I have had to adjust the rear way to the right to hit center. Ruger has sent me a new pair, but havnt installed yet to see if it hits and if it centers point of aim. Im wondering if there is a connection. Take it to the range and let me know.

deadduck357

Single-Sixer
Well atleast yours is dead on, so that blows that thought. I just have to try the new sights.

TexasFats

Bearcat
Blackmore":2w24jaxi said:
When I handled one, I noticed you could only have the large aperture deployed to get it to fold flat.

From what I have read, that is pretty typical of most or all AR-15 sights. At least, that is the impression that I get in the GD Book of the AR-15, Vol. 2.

The Oracle

Bearcat
And that is true with this one also, however if you look at the first photo you can clearly see that the small one is in the down position and the large one is in the up position.

It's not the peep sight that's hitting the upper, it's the side of the frame that holds the peep sight. :evil:

I called Ruger today and they went up on this site and looked at my photos and said they would call me back…………

MFD

Bearcat
In looking at your photo, it would appear that the sight is not in what is called mechanical zero,(centered) but rather the right side of the windage drum screw shows some 7 threads and left side shows only three. Irregardless, even with that much windage on the rear sight, don't believe it should impact on the receiver when folded, but may well be the nature of the beast?? Is the front sight on the SR556 capable of windage adjustment? If so, center the rear sight and adjust left or right w/ the front sight and maintain centered position for rear. Can't imagine needing much windage adjustment for this type of firearm, but perhaps others can share some insight.

martin

A

Anonymous

Mine required the windage to be cranked all the way to the left to get the groups in the center. Verified this with 2 other bench shooters.
Called Ruger and they sent a pickup order.
Waiting for it to return
They said they replaced the upper receiver and some other parts.

We will see

LTS1

Bearcat
May just be the sight, I've had trouble with the Troy rear BUIS before on another build. However, I've had the SR556 now for some time and not had any issues with the Troy rear on it...