SR-556 owners, is this correct?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

redsouthpaw

Bearcat
I picked up a SR-556 today and just broke it down to clean it. Is the bolt not supposed to have gas rings?
DSCF0351.jpg

captainkirk

Blackhawk
Well, since it is a piston design it shouldn't need them to operate the bolt. Not sure about why they would need to be there otherwise.

captainkirk

Edited to add: Gas rings do not appear in the exploded drawing on p 41 of the manual either. I do not own one of these rifles, this is just info I gleaned from the web, actual owners may differ in opinion.

redsouthpaw

Bearcat
captainkirk":4xbuyoff said:
Well, since it is a piston design it shouldn't need them to operate the bolt. Not sure about why they would need to be there otherwise.

captainkirk

Edited to add: Gas rings do not appear in the exploded drawing on p 41 of the manual either. I do not own one of these rifles, this is just info I gleaned from the web, actual owners may differ in opinion.

Thanks. I just looked at the exploded diagram and see that they are not listed.

K4AA

Bearcat
I own an SR-556. My bolt is machined such that the location of the gas ring holder is a smooth cylinder a bit bigger than the bolt diameter. I believe there are three versions of bolts. Of course, there is no need for a gas ring because there is no gas. The bolt carrier is different from standard mil-spec carriers. The firing pin opening is larger than normal. This makes it easy to get at the firing pin cotter pin ends. Sometimes these ends are spread far enough that upon insertion they don't make it easily into the opposite hole. A small punch through the enlarged carrier opening makes it easy to nudge them in. Nice idea. Beautifully made gun.

deadduck357

Single-Sixer
K4AA":1dlmt5td said:
The bolt carrier is different from standard mil-spec carriers. The firing pin opening is larger than normal.

Ive 4 Colts that the bolt carrier is the same way.

empeter

Bearcat
redsouthpaw":3a4wncsz said:
Is the bolt not supposed to have gas rings?
Nope. There are no gases to bleed off because they do not make it past the piston. It's the same reason there's no gas key on the BCG.