SR-556 Just how good is it?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hoosier

Bearcat
I have been saving for a long time and I was so pumped to get one of these. Just about the time I have enough to get one I start hearing they are having problems with them and many forums, you tube and even AR-15.com talk about this. Seems like whatever site I'm at, when I mention I want a SR-556, I get the same stories about peening, tilting and premature wear after only a couple hundred rounds fired. Seems like the majority of advice I get is to avoid the piston AR right now and wait a few years before I go there.

What is going on? Is this true? Before I dish out $1500 I want to make sure I get a product that is reliable and doesn't have to constantly be sent back while they get the bugs worked out. I'm really bummed. :(

deadduck357

Single-Sixer
No matter which site/forum you go to there are always going to be people bashing new products or new innovations. At Glocktalk there are people that own first or second generation Glock that have been bashing the third generations for years because the move to finger grooved grip and now that the fourth gens are coming out the bashing has just intensified. On XDtalk traditional XD owners have been bashing the XDm since its release and now that the new XDm 3.8 has come out the bashings increase. On Sigforum they have been bashing the SIG556 since its debut because it was not a SIG550,551,552 and now that SIG is releasing the SIG516 the bashing has begun and the gun is not even on the streets yet. This can go on and on and on. I dont know whats wrong with us Americans, 10 years ago we would have scratched someones eyes out for a SIG556 or a SR-556 but now all we want to do is bytch and whine. As for the SR-556 or any piston AR the traditionalists will almost always bash it just because its not a DI system, when all that the firearms industry is trying to do is improve the system, make it more reliable. Traditionalists dont like innovation but if we all thought like that we would all still be driving model T's. The SR-556 is a well made piston AR15, built like a tank, accurate and reliable. Yes it gets a little carrier tilt wear, mine did in the first couple hundred rounds then it leveled off and I'm not seeing anymore wear. I have somewhere around 1000 +- rounds through mine now and have not had a malfunction. Ruger as a company is one that stands behind their products like no other. Take a chance, you will be very surprised at how much you like it.

Hoosier

Bearcat
Thanks deadduck for the reply. I went to the LGS and handled one and yes, built like a tank but very front heavy I must admit. Love the Troy add-ons. I fully expected to walk out with one but after playing with it and talking to the owner, I left empty handed. I'm going to be honest, For a lot less money I feel I can get an AR package that will feel better and perform just as well as the SR556. Maybe in a year or two I may re-consider after Ruger has a chance to fine-tune it.

With over 160 views, I really expected a bunch of people jumping in to support the rifle. There has to be more than one SR 556 owner here. Makes me wonder if there may be some truth to many of the rumors and not just bashing the competition.

tango6

Bearcat
if it is anything like what else has been coming out of ruger, it will be a POS. ruger reminds me of these internet companies that try to get you to try their "beta" products. in other words, they want us to do their R&D and work the bugs out for them while they cash in on the sales.
No Thanks. the SR9 was the last straw for me.

tango6

Bearcat
I own several of the older models and have no complaints. it is the stuff they are producing now that sucks.

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
I've never had a problem with any Ruger, old or new and I've owned a bunch over many years. :mrgreen:
Some people have problems and always will. Not buying Rugers because of that just leaves more for me. :wink:

tango6

Bearcat
I have been owning rugers since the late 60's and never had more than a minor inconvenience with them. the ones I have owned since about 2001/2002 have had more than their fair share of problems.

whatever happened to the process when one had a problem with a gun, you took it back to the dealer, got a new one, and the dealer sent it back to the manufacturer? some products are still handled that way.

I think, we, as consumers have been conditioned to accept mediocre products and we are happy when something only malfunctions every 100th time. what ever happened to perfection?

deadduck357

Single-Sixer
tango6":3j7d1t1t said:
if it is anything like what else has been coming out of ruger, it will be a POS. ruger reminds me of these internet companies that try to get you to try their "beta" products. in other words, they want us to do their R&D and work the bugs out for them while they cash in on the sales.
No Thanks. the SR9 was the last straw for me.

Do you own or have owned a SR-556, or are you just a blowhard trashing it because it makes you feel good ? After reading some of your replies I wonder why your even on rugerforum if you dislike them so.

coldarkstare

Bearcat
i got my sr 556 a few weeks early for christmas and have to say i really like it, ill be upgrading the cam pin with a POF Roller Cam Pin,Tactical spring package,Heavy Buffer,magpul ubs stock,stark pistol grip with loop attachment point,so just like many platforms there are always improvents along they way and higher end products out there, but for what its worth im very pleased with the sr 556 at this point and would buy another except im in the market for a shot gun next. some people just like to vent and complain about a product and their experience,which can be helpful, but there becomes a point where its just plain bitchn,time to move on there has to be better things to do...like shootn :) and good luck with what ever you purchase.

SIGWatchman

Bearcat
Allot of folk in the "AR community" don't have much like for Ruger in general due to the 94 AWB. Allot of folk like what -they- have and like to bash anything else. Combine a general dislike for Ruger and a general dislike for any deviation from the traditional Stoner design and you get allot of bashing.

I like my SR556. It is very accurate with a barrel that is rock solid. I like the fact I can go out and shoot up 200 rounds, run a bore snake through it and be done with it. I like that it comes pretty much all decked out as is. All I've done to mine was swap the grip for a Magpul MIAD and replaced the flash supressor with something more traditional (didn't like the looks of the Ruger supressor).

mm6mm6

Blackhawk
Let's see. Personally owned Rugers bought within the last 2 years by me.

SR9
LCP
LCR
Mini-14 Tactical
SR-556
Blackhawk .44 Special

All functioned 100% right out of the box.

The SR9 is subjectively the most ergonomic high capacity 9mm I've ever held. I say subjectivley because all of our hands are different. What feels great to me, may not feel great to others. The gun has been 100% reliable and a terrific shooter.

I carry my LCP with a Crimson Trace laser every day. It has been perfect since I bought it. I sent the gun in for the recall (which I like to point out was not for a "problem" but to make the gun drop safe. The instruction manual said the gun could go off if dropped. So will any Series 70 1911 as made by several current manufacturers. Don't drop the gun!) on a Monday and received it back four days later with a free extra mag and a b-ball cap. Well done Ruger!

The LCR has a better DA trigger pull than my S&W J-frame, even after installing Wolff Springs in my .38 Smith. The LCR's trigger is 9 pounds and smooth. The LCR also has a user changable front sight which the S&W does not have. The LCR's Tamer grips absorb recoil with +P rounds much better than my steel framed S&W.

Mini-14 Tactical. 2" groups at 100 yards with cheap Remington 45 grain hollowpoint .223 ammo. It's not a sniper rifle and was never meant to be. 100% reliable.

SR-556. 1 1/2" groups with the same cheap ammo at 100 yards. Again, not what it was designed for, but very accurate for an AR. It came with all the options I would have wanted anyway. Great price for great features. 1000 rounds with no problems. Awesome gun and a breeze to clean.

Blackhawk. Gorgeous finish. Like every other modern Ruger single action, the trigger was a bit heavy. Most factory revolvers from most manufacturers do not have trigger pulls the way most shooters would like them. I spent $8 at Wolff Springs and 10 minutes in my basement and I now have a 3 pound, excellent trigger pull on my .44 Special.

I can't fault any of my Rugers at all.

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
fossils and guns":1suuq91f said:
I'd like to know how durable the SR 556 (I've heard it's not...). I've heard some pretty negative reviews on Piston AR's.

Piston ARs in general ? I have seen a few but my Bushmaster/Adams Arms piston AR certainly has no problems.