SR-22 & Fake Suppressor

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SR9c-Fan

Bearcat
I just ordered a fake suppressor for my SR-22 from Shadow Muzzle Brakes (shadowmuzzlebrakes.com). I had him build it %" long and the threads are at the front of the barrel...so about 4.5 inches will cover the barrel. This should give it a bit of a SBR look. I'll post pictures when it comes in, probably at the end of the week. :)

Snake45

Hawkeye
I have something similar on my DPMS .22 M4 (top in pic below). Bought it from an AR vendor at a gunshow about a decade ago, I think I paid $12 or $15 for it. I like the looks, and even better, it gives the thing a little needed weight at the muzzle and makes it feel just a little more like my midlength HBAR.

ARs600.jpg

SR9c-Fan

Bearcat
Snake45":2v0t86dg said:
I have something similar on my DPMS .22 M4 (top in pic below).

That looks great. A really sharp look for an AR!

My fake can is 1.5" so...it will be a little wider than yours (I think), and will actually disappear inside the handguard of the SR-22.

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
The idea of a fake supressor takes me back to my high school days (1964) when I got a GTO grill insignia from Pontiac and put it on the front of my dad's 64 LeMans. No one was fooled, they knew the GTO sounded different. And they had a hood scoop.
:lol: :lol:

I finally got a real 1967 Goat.

Snake45

Hawkeye
tomiswho":1gm9ne3q said:
The idea of a fake supressor takes me back to my high school days (1964) when I got a GTO grill insignia from Pontiac and put it on the front of my dad's 64 LeMans. No one was fooled, they knew the GTO sounded different. And they had a hood scoop.
Actually, the '64 GTO had two hood scoops.

Both of them fake. :wink: :lol:

Personally I think if you are going to attach something to the front of your gun (or car) it should have a function other than just looks.

Now you could 'justify' the fake suppressor by saying that it is just until you get the money and paper work completed for a real one. That's how I would approach it.

Snake45

Hawkeye
blume357":ziox0jme said:
Personally I think if you are going to attach something to the front of your gun (or car) it should have a function other than just looks.
Mine (solid steel) adds some much wanted weight out front. But what's wrong with "just looks"? I think a LOT of people on this board alter their guns in the pursuit of "just looks." :?

I know and I'm not rabid about it. I just think function should be a part of the form. I put a muzzle break on one of my 10/22s a few years back. it lasted about 3 weeks before I took it off. Just made the rifle longer and didn't do anything else.

I think a real suppressor on the SR-22 would be much more practical. Shooting sub sonic ammo and you'd probably go unnoticed.

mattsbox99

Hunter
The action is louder than the cartridge firing... its totally hearing safe and the grin is pretty much permanent for the next few hours. Its a little on the spendy side though, I have about $1000 in the Pac Lite MKIII above. I have a Tac Sol threaded barrel on a 10/22 and a Threaded factory barrel on my Charger, in place of a thread protector I have a big muzzle brake that looks pretty cool.

mattsbox99

Hunter
You can shoot any standard or high velocity, the HV will have a supersonic crack, but its not that bad and its still well within hearing safe levels.

CCI has a nice new Segmented HP Subsonic so you could actually hunt with it now versus just target shooting before with the RN ammo.

SR9c-Fan

Bearcat
Yea, a real one would be better, but I didn't want to spend the bucks on one (plus the stamp). It would cost about as much as the rifle itself.

A

Anonymous

You should have come to me… I could have made you something that actually worked as a brake and looked sick…. Next time ;)

BiG MiKE86

Bearcat
SR9c-Fan - That SR-22 is looking amazing! I just ordered mine on thursday (cant wait to get it!) Could U tell me which sights/optics you have installed on your rifle?

Does the fake suppressor affect the performance of the gun?