Squirrel Season Opens This Weekend

Help Support Ruger Forum:

HardBall

Bearcat
Squirrel season opens for for me this weekend. I've got my 77/22 sighted in and ready to go. Only problem is I'm sighted in for SK Standard Plus, which is a round nose- no hollow point. I'll be going for head shots but with the Oaks still full of leaves clear shots may be rare.

Anyone else going squirrel hunting this weekend?

Sean,

Lou_NC

Bearcat
Squirrel season opens tomorrow (10/1) here in NC. I can't decide whether to hunt for squirrels or doves.

It's nice to have a decision like that to make..........

paleocaver

Bearcat
I'm ready, too. Season open's tomorrow here in 'Bama. Will be either Sunday or Monday before I go. Will be armed with a 10/22. It's dead on with good old Winchester X-perts. Son will be shooting a Henry. Can't wait. Oh, and rabbit season opens the same time.

CajunBass

Single-Sixer
It's been open for a couple of weeks here. I've walked out back a couple of times, but haven't killed any yet. I've watched a bunch of them, but I've been more watching for deer than squirrel hunting.

Just this afternoon a spike buck played peek-a-boo with me for about ten minutes from about 15-20 yards away. He'd duck his head down behind a bush, then jerk it back up to see if I'd moved. Then he'd do it again. He saw me, and knew I didn't belong there, but wasn't sure what I was, even with the wind blowing from me to him. We were close to the house so there's "man" scent around all the time, and there was a goat lot and a hog pig just back of me to provide "cover scent."

He finally went back the way he came. I saw him or another one a couple more times before I went back to the house.

I might go out again in the morning. I prefer a 22, but with the leaves on the trees, I might take a shotgun. I won't take a tree shot with a rifle, or a ground shot with a shotgun.

HardBall

Bearcat
October will me a squirrel hunting/deer scouting month for me. Once November gets here and deer season opens I'll still be going after squirrels with my 77/22 but will carry my .44 SBH in case I see a deer. I don't have the time to really "prep" for deer hunting and won't have much time go if I did prep so I decided to not stress over it. I'll just enjoy what little time in the woods I get and if I get a good shot at a deer, I'll take it with my pistola. If I don't see a deer, at least I got to hunt squirrel with a fine .22.

Sean,

Redstick

Single-Sixer
hutchman":2wibx8p2 said:
I have fond memories of squirrel seasons past hunting with my Granddad...

Can't hunt 'em here, they are protected.

They're also as thick as squirrels at a nut gatherin' contest!!! They're chompin' on the electric lines, garden hoses, tv cables, or what ever the townsfolk'll feed 'em. Where does it say they're protected? Just in town? There's not nearly so many out in the wilds.

Redstick

Single-Sixer
Yep; these kind're what're soooo bad in this area:

Fox squirrel (Sciurus niger)
Body: 13" Tail: 11"
Fox squirrels are large with variable reddish-brown to pale gray backs and red to yellow-orange underparts. They have broad tails, coarse, grizzled fur and short ears. Fox squirrels can be found in habitats with fewer trees than most other tree squirrels. They were introduced into Washington from the southeastern United States and occur in urban and rural environments in several parts of the state.

They'll kill the other squirrels or run 'em off. I knew a guy that used to live-trap them and then let them go across the river.

hutchman

Blackhawk
For some reason I thought all squirrels were protected, but that isn't correct. Just the 3 or 4 listed. I wonder if the Fox Squirrel is the same as the Fox Squirrels in the midwest?

Oh well, sorry for the hijack........now back on subject.

HardBall

Bearcat
The description sounds like fox squirrels in Louisiana. We've got both fox squirrels and gray squirrels, some folks call the grays "cat squirrels". In the woods, generally, I see fox squirrels more when I'm in the pines. If I'm around oaks I see grays. Around my house it's different- lots of pine trees and lots of gray squirrels.