Have one of their Mil Spec 45's that I like pretty well. Was wanting
to know if their rifle actions (M1-A)were made here or off shore. I
am thinking that is one of the few options I have of owning a
single-fire type M-14 rifle.

Thanks,
oldies :)

pete44ru

Hunter
My Commander-sized Springfield Champion Loaded is stamped on the lower surface of the dust cover "Made in Brazil".

AFAIK, the current Springfield Armory is strictly a marketing organization, and not an AMerican manufacturer, with only their headquarters in the US - Genesco, IL.

I've got a scout squad. Darned thing is a heck of alot more accurate that I can shoot. I've put several thousand rounds thru it with out any problems. Heavier than most bolt action .308s. But they are built like a tank and can take whatever you dish out.

oldies":3abiwgu5 said:
Thanks guys,

Jeepnik,

Is your Scout Squad equipped with match parts or
regular production barrel, etc?

oldies

It a regular production as far as I know. I like it because the barrel is shorter than the full size, yet longer than the SOCOM 16'S. It's a darned good trade off betwen portability and shootabilty. Heck, I think it is what we should have had instead of the M16.

David Sinko

Bearcat
Springfield Armory uses cast receivers and the quality is hit or miss, especially when it comes to scope mounting. If you want a high quality M-14 type rifle, check out what LRB has to offer. I believe they're the only manufacturer of forged receivers. A complete rifle will be very expensive, but the M-14 is not the kind of rifle where you want to cut corners.

Dave Sinko

9x19

Hunter
pete44ru":2uw81fw5 said:
My Commander-sized Springfield Champion Loaded is stamped on the lower surface of the dust cover "Made in Brazil".

AFAIK, the current Springfield Armory is strictly a marketing organization, and not an AMerican manufacturer, with only their headquarters in the US - Genesco, IL.

That's not entirely accurate... For most of their high-end and some of their loaded models, Springfield Armory imports raw forgings and does their own machine work.

niteowl

Bearcat
I once heard a rumor that Ruger did the castings for their M1A. I've also heard it was someplace in Australia. A very well kept secret where ever it may be...

actionflies

Bearcat
All of their 1911's slide/frame are made by Imbel of Brazil and not made by Taurus. If the gun is completely made by Imbel, it will have the 'N' prefix serial number. Their custom and some of the Loaded model 1911's are assembled in the US and will have the 'NM' prefix serial number. Sometime you will find a Mil-Spec model with the 'NM' prefix and these are awesome.

Snake45

Hawkeye
David Sinko":1p0bdnjn said:
If you want a high quality M-14 type rifle, check out what LRB has to offer. I believe they're the only manufacturer of forged receivers.
Or you could look for an older Norinco or Polytech M14S, which also had EXCELLENT forged receivers. These used to be cheap, but word has been out for several years now just how good they are. :wink:

oldies

Single-Sixer
Will probably call LRB and find out what their regular production
rifle goes for. If it is a high $ unit, I guess it will have to stay
a dream. Although I haven't given up on the Springfield Armory
offering.

MFD

Bearcat
Might want to check out Fulton Armory out of Savage, MD. Their products are of high quality and well assembled by skilled people. They now are offering receivers, stripped, which are excellent ones and you can then source from them necessary parts/barrels, etc., find competent 'smith to assemble or go the completed rifle route with Fulton. Nothing wrong with cast receivers if done properly and Ruger is certainly testament to that matter. Fulton is of high quality and again, they know what they are doing with the M14 and fit and finish is second to none. JMO

martin

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
I have an SA M1A with all USGI parts except the receiver which is American made. It's an excellent shooter and I have never had a problem with it before or after I changed out the parts. SA has a good rep for both pistols and rifles and their CS is rated A+. :wink: