Split cases

Help Support Ruger Forum:

woodperson

Single-Sixer
Tried some Lill Gun in my .41 Mag. 20.5 grains behind a .210 jacket bullet. Starter loads in all the data I have seen. I got 2 split cases out of about a dozen loads. Any ideas or suggestions? No problems with the Tightgroup or Universal loads at medium loads. Checked the chambers visually and with a gauge. Do not see any problems or a larger chamber. Not sure about the history of the brass. Did not really like the load a lot anyway but would like to know the cause.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I don't think the powder can be blamed. It is most likely a coincidence and further loading of those cases will develop more cracked cases no matter the powder used.
It sounds like either worn out, work hardened or defective brass to me. More testing is in order if you insist on using that brass. When I find an issue with brass it goes in the scrap and is replaced with new cases, StarLine if available.
12 cases is not a good test .

cadillo

Blackhawk
I find that the long cases last longer without splitting if I only partially resize. It makes a difference, but you have to be sure that at each new sizing die adjustment, the cases will chamber in each gun you might be inclined to shoot it.

dougader

Hunter
If they're really old cases that have been cleaned with Brasso or any other polish that contains ammonia then that could be a possible culprit. I'm running into that now with cases I polished and stored in about 1994-2004.

cadillo

Blackhawk
Try adjusting your sizing die upward a bit for less sizing, but go slowly and check for cartridge fit in each chamber prior to charging and seating. It will help, and possibly cure the problem you've encountered.

RalphS

Single-Sixer
I wouldn't dump that brass. I'd keep reloading it until they all split.

You may want to read through this post to learn a bit about polishing brass. I never knew about ammonia and the damage it could do. Not the problem in my case since I have only used Dillon polish, but you may want to check what you are using.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=226888

sliclee

Single-Sixer
When resizing straight wall case it will last longer than bottleneck cases. Some times a problem can be made sooner is if the cannalure is too deep, this will hasten weakening. Sometimes makers of bullets,Im going to be nice now, will slightly increase the depth to save a bit of loot on bullet making, weight. You should ALWAYS when ordering bullets ask what is finished weight and diameter of the bullet besides BH. Lot of money in bullets.
Many times a bullet will be more efficient if you crimp it on the parallel in front of the crimp with a hard crimp. Also prevents,slows down powder blow back. Give it a try. Lee

volshooter

Buckeye
I have only had a few split pistol cases in my 40 years of reloading. Only magnum cases. A round fired, that splits the case, has no effect on the shot. Use them until they split and chuck them.
Bottled necked rifle brass does split more often fer sure. I make most of my 20-06 out of 30-06 cases. Might get 1-2 out of a hundred that split after firing a few times.

Latest posts