SPF Custom Lone Star Rolling Block 45-70

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jgraham1

Buckeye
SPF

Up for sale is a customized Lone Star Rifle Company Rolling Block built by Dave Higginbotham around 2003. I purchased the rifle used in 2018 and it was in poor shape. The owner had not fired it often, but had tried to modify the buttstock, damaging it, and had drilled the barrel for scope mounts. The receiver had some of the case color removed, don't ask me why. The bore of the octagon barrel was in pristine condition and the action mechanically perfect. I bought it to restore.

I reached out to gunsmith John King and discussed the build. He cut the barrel back to 30" and chambered it in 45-70. He installed a windage adjustable Axtell globe front sight with one post insert, an Axtell Graduated rear sight with an MVA Hadley Eyecup and plugged the scope mount holes, you cannot see them. New pistol grip buttstock and forend walnut stocks were made by John, and the wood is unbelievably figured, finished and is beautiful. Pictures do not do justice to the wood or metal. The wood has a wonderful checkering job and the original Lone Star logo steal checkered buttplate was installed. He polished everything and case colored the action, Remington forend tip and buttplate. The rest of the metal was rust blued. He did more work than I described and I have the workorder from John showing all he did.

The octagon barrel mates with an octagon receiver. The barrel is 1.125" at the breech and 1.02 at the muzzle. There is a single trigger that is smooth with no creep and is superb. Length of pull is 14" and overall length is 45.5". Weight is around 10 pounds and twist is 1X18 to handle heavy, long bullets. I have never shot the rifle, so I am selling it.

Will sell for $3600, a lot less than I have into it, with free shipping. I accept cash, MO and personal checks. No electronic payments or trades. Your FFL must accept from a private person. Contact me with any questions and thanks for looking.

Jerry

Last edited:

jgraham1

Buckeye
To answer some questions:

Perfect mating of the wood to receiver. Outstanding checkering on a walnut crotch cut with flame. Original barrel was 34 inch 45-90. Had the receiver end cut to rechamber to 45-70 and that removed the first two drilled holes for the scope mount. The second two are near the N.Y Stamp on the barrel. John hid them well, but you can see just a hint of one of them to the right of the N.Y. He covered them with the stamp very well. Let me know if you need any more info and thanks.

Jerry

Last edited: