Speer Shot Capsules - 45colt

Help Support Ruger Forum:

slippingaway

Blackhawk
Anybody here have experience loading shot loads (#12) in the 45 colt Speer shot capsules? I got my capsules from Midway finally, and there was no loading data with them. Speer's website does not have any data, and specifically states that load data is printed on the packaging. Too bad it's not.

I want to load some of these up for carrying out at my father-in-laws ranch for snakes. I have Win231, HS-6, and Win AutoComp that I can work with. I can also load them up with 45acp brass with the convertible cylinder if that works better.

Sugar River

Buckeye
I've used 7 gr of 231 or 8 of Universal. Seems to work well.
The capsule full of No 9 only weighs about 170 gr.

Pete

contender

Ruger Guru
I always load up any Speer shot shells with the shot I'm using. Then,, I weigh a bunch of them to get an average weight. Next,, I refer to several manuels to get an idea of loads with bullets of similar weight. I then pick a midrange load to start with,, check for results,, and change loads accordingly.

RFP

Bearcat
I've got some loaded with 5.7 grs of titegroup. It patterns much better than factory shot shells.

gerryb158

Single-Sixer
The #12 shot in the .45 capsule will weigh a little over 190 gr. I guess it packs a little better than #9. I've loaded these with 6.0 gr. Bullseye and they work pretty well. I'm sure W231, HS-6 or other powders mentioned work fine also. Be careful not to crimp too tightly as this will crack the plastic; takes a bit of experimenting to get the crimp right. I've thought about using some sort of glue rather than crimping, but never got around to trying that. Larger shot has much better range but a more open pattern. At ten feet or so the #12 is max effective. Good luck, let us know how you make out. Gerry

edlmann

Blackhawk
slippingaway":345os4o6 said:
Anybody here have experience loading shot loads (#12) in the 45 colt Speer shot capsules? I got my capsules from Midway finally, and there was no loading data with them. Speer's website does not have any data, and specifically states that load data is printed on the packaging. Too bad it's not.

Whatever you do, keep the pressures/velocity as low as you can stand it. Anything else blows holes in the middle of the pattern.

mattsbox99

Hunter
I've loaded a lot of them in .44 Mag and .357 Mag. I use IMR 700X, but you didn't list that as a powder you have.

Speer's manual lists 7.5 grains of Unique, 6.0 of WW231, 5.7 of Titegroup, 5.5 of IMR700X, or 5.5 of Bullseye.

GP100man

Buckeye
If ya back off too much the capsule won`t break , ya got a narrow window to work with , too much pressure & patterns open too qwikly , toolow & capsules won`t break.

This is why I went to cuttin my own cards & just sealin the end of the case!!!

slippingaway

Blackhawk
Thanks for all the help guys. Once I get some time at home I'll load some up and see how they do. Unfortunately I have to spend most of the month out of state for work.

Dale53

Blackhawk
The Speer Reloading Manual #14 lists these loads;

Unique 7.5 grs - 975 fps
231 6,0 grs - 925 fps
TiteGroup 5,7 grs - 920 fps
Bullseye 5.5 grs - 875 fps

DO NOT USE IN FIREARMS WITH PORTED RECOIL COMPENSATORS.

Dale53

langenc

Single-Sixer
I have done em in 38/357. Just fill the cup full of shot. I used 7.5 I removed from a couple shotshells.

Dont remember the powder but it seems there was literature(suggested loads) in/on the box of plastic capsules.

slippingaway

Blackhawk
langenc":26al13xl said:
Dont remember the powder but it seems there was literature(suggested loads) in/on the box of plastic capsules.

Yeah, that's what all the websites say too, but all that's on the box is the stick on label. It has plenty of warnings and legalese, but no load info. No paper inside either. Good thing I know where to find helpful people :wink: