Speer 45 Colt Gold Dot load. Velocity now listed as 750Fps?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I was just looking thru the 2009 Speer catalog and noticed that the 45 Colt 250grain Gold Dot loading is now listed at 750 Fps out of a 5.5" barrel while the previous listings were 900 Fps from a 5.5" bbl.
2009 data: http://www.speer-ammo.com/ballistics/ammo.aspx

I double checked the 2008 catalog and sure enough it was 900fps.
2008 Data: http://glarp.atk.com/2008/2008...mmunitionCatalog.pdf

Now, I considered the 250grain at 900fps to be a good compromise between weight and velocity and had made the Speer Gold Dot loading my ammo of choice for personal protection in my 4" 25-5. Now, with a 150 fps drop to 750fps I am rethinking it and may go back to a lighter bullet at higher velocity. IE: either the Blazer ot the at 1000 - 1100 Fps.

Does anyone have any insight or actual test results of this ammo?

the fatman

Single-Sixer
Sorry no imput but thanks for mentioning it as slower appeals to me because hopefully it will mean fewer holes in the walls if I would miss. :shock:

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
If that is not a typo - then I hope they have developed a bullet that expands fully upon meeting flesh at 700 fps or so.....

Here is what Speer Tech Services has to say.

Mr -----
This load (45 Colt 250gr. GDHP)has not changed since 2003 when our
Engineer changed the muzzle velocity to 800 fps from 850 fps.

However, the catalogs have had the velocity listed incorrectly for
awhile. The 'correct' muzzle velocity of this round is 800 fps at the
muzzle. I checked the actual blueprint for the drawing. I will do my
best to get the error corrected. Linda

Linda Olin
CCI/Speer Technical Services
2299 Snake River Ave.
Lewiston, ID 83501

I asked about barrel length and she says that the barrel length is listed as 7.25" per the cartridge drawing.

I would sure like to see some real world testing in different barrel lengths of this cartridge using recently manufactured ammo.
Lacking any recent independent test results I think that I will go to some other load. I sure hate to give up that 250gr bullet though.

J Miller

Blackhawk
Sceva,

Thanks for posting this update.

800 fps from a 7.25" test barrel would barely make the 750 fps out of a real world 4 5/8" or 4" revolver.

To me that cartridge isn't worth spending the money on.

Joe

WESHOOT2

Hunter
You can safely launch your favored bullet from your 25-5 at 900fps.
(But you gotta use the right powder......)

Even better might be some choices from BuffaloBore; peruse their website thoroughly.

Thanks, that is a good article. I had already looked into everything and as a result The Speer 250 gold dot load still resides in my S&W 25-5's cylinder. As an aside; it's sister, the 135gr +P short barrel 38 spl load lives in my 38 spl Speed Six.
I used to carry the 200 gr Corbon load ( it no longer uses the Speer flying ashtray but instesd uses, I believe, a Sierra bullet ) but several things caused the4 switch.
Bullet weight : I would rather have a 250 gr then a 200 gr.
Weight retention : from reports I have read the Gold Dots retaintheir weight very well while the Corbons lost a greater percentage of their weight.
Pressure & Consistancy : The corBons are now listed +P (whatever that means as there isd no standard for the 45 Colt) but when I first bought them they were not so listed and while Corbon states they are perfectly safe in the 25-5 ( and I believe them) I just decided not to subject my 25-5 to the additional wear & tear. As far as consistency, I noticed that Corbon' loads af various kinds showed up in more reports of excess pressures or blow-up's than I was comfortable with.
Yes, I would have liked to have seen 850 -900 Fps from a 4" barrel however, you can't argue with the test results of the Gold Dot load. Is anyone familiar with any Real world results with this load?