Speed six vs. Service six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

zackary

Bearcat
I've decided my next revolver is going to be a 4" Ruger .357 ( Security six/Speed Six, Service Six). I realize the Security Six has the adjustable rear sight. What are the differences between the Service Six and the Speed Six? Thank you for your time and expertise.

one bullet

Single-Sixer
In the 4 inch barrel it will be harder to find the speed six. There seems to be more security sixes out there than either the speed or service six. Regardless which you choose you will be happy with it. Take your time and wait for one in really good condition. You won't have to wait long!

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
zackary":3ge9l11w said:
I've decided my next revolver is going to be a 4" Ruger .357 ( Security six/Speed Six, Service Six). I realize the Security Six has the adjustable rear sight. What are the differences between the Service Six and the Speed Six? Thank you for your time and expertise.

The Police Service Six blued 4" was a police service revolver. Like the S&W model 10 they are more availiable and usually cost less. The Speed Six will be harder to find and cost more. I have a Police Service Six blued 4" that I bought in Jan 09. Its previous owner was a law enforcement officer. The revolver is one of my best shooters.

If your looking for a possible collector than by all means go with the Speed Six. But if you are looking for a good shooter than the Police Service Six would be a very good choice. Out here in California a Police Service Six goes for about $325.00 to $350.00.

Good luck with your hunt,
roaddog

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
193.jpg

Pic of my Speed Six 38Spl. DAO with a 3in. barrel

382.jpg

Pic. of my Police Service Six 357 Mag. 4in. barrel

I recently purchased the Speed Six ...took to the Range yesterday Am was surprised with the accuracy with 158 gr. LRN and little recoil..
I have carried it on every outing this weekend..with 125 gr.HP 38 Spl. +P
will most likely become my primary carry gun. (for personal def. I carry 38 +ps in my 357's)
It has good balance and that extra inch supposed to make a bit Diff . when useing 38 +P ammo..and it being 3in. instead 4 makes it a bit easier to pull from my pancake holster..

Which ever you choose a Speed or Police or a Security (adj. Sights)you'll be happy....
I've had GP100's and Sp101s in the past but I personally perfer the Six's

They are all built like tanks and by far the best quality revolver made..really only Revolver that is close is the Dan Wessons

Good luck on your purchase

Three50seven

Buckeye
one bullet":1bwuw7wo said:
In the 4 inch barrel it will be harder to find the speed six. There seems to be more security sixes out there than either the speed or service six. Regardless which you choose you will be happy with it. Take your time and wait for one in really good condition. You won't have to wait long!

+1, but depending on your location, it may be kinda hard to find what you want.

Latest posts