Speed Six vs GP100

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lsmith103

Bearcat
I recently purchased a Speed Six .357 3". I'm curious about how those who have or have had both compare them. I use mine for CC and it works great. The GP100 appears more bulky to me.

Only ocassionally carried my 4" Security Six concealed but used it for years as my duty sidearm. When carrying concealed it was in a underarm "shoulder holster" rig. Never failed me and I still have it and shoot it on a regular basis. My 4" GP is a great gun but is "bulkier". I also have never carried it concealed. That's what I have the SP-101 for. Both are outstanding revolvers, and the Speed Six with short barrel is more concealable than both of mine. Should be quite comfortable given a quality holster rig.

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
lsmith103":1evhhq01 said:
I recently purchased a Speed Six .357 3". I'm curious about how those who have or have had both compare them. I use mine for CC and it works great. The GP100 appears more bulky to me.

You won't be disappointed with the Speed Six. I had a Security Six 2.75 inch barrel. Great gun. They are a little bigger than a SP101. The GP100 to me is too big in a 3 inch barrel. GP100 are better for woods guns and home defense.

Enjoy your purchase.

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer
lsmith103":15apq0yf said:
LSmith103,

Congratulations on getting a fine revolver and welcome to the forum.

I have never had a speed six, but I do have a Security Six with 2.75" barrel (and a 4" and 6", too) as well as a couple of SP101s and a 4" and a 6" GP100.

The SP101 can fit in a front jeans pocket (with the grip sticking out just a little, unobtrusively). The Security Six fits, but sticks out very noticeably. The GP100 will not fit in my pocket at all and would drag my pants down badly if it did. Even carrying in a holster, the Security Six, Speed Six and Service Six guns are much more comfortable than the GP100. Smaller and lighter.

Now, the standard grips on the Sixes are a bit small for me, but the target grips or the aftermarket rubber ones absorb a lot of the recoil and give me more to hang onto. The GP starts out with nice, absorptive grips and has more recoil-absorbing mass as well, so for shooting, the GP is more pleasant. For carrying, the Six would be my choice. Both are equally good in a fight (up to the point when you need a club).

In summary, Yes, the GP is significantly more bulky. The size difference seems to cross a threshold of convenience. You will never mistake one gun for the other when either is in your hand.

Lost Sheep

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
You've got a great carry gun (as well as all-around gun) with your Speed Six. The GP is a great gun but definitely larger. I don't see any advantage to it.

GattlinGun

Bearcat
I have no experience with the speed six but I have handled the security six and do own a GP100.

I cannot hit crap with the security six! the GP is defiantly bigger, but It shoots where I point it.

For carry, the GP is too big for me. It is the same size as a 1911. Lay one on the other you will see.

I had no luck with the security six. I could throw rocks more accurately. Probably just me.

lsmith103

Bearcat
Thanks to all for the input. Have been carrying mine for a few days in a Security Speed pancake holster and it's so comfortable I forget it's there. I have a set of Pachmayr Gripper Grips on the way and that should be the frosting on the cake.