Spam phone calls

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
The failed do not call list simply shows the unwillingness of phone companies and government to act. If you recall there were several exceptions including politicians.

Folks claim that spoofing prevents identification. Not true. Every call can be “traced”. But it’s not in the financial interest of those who should do it. They also claim that calls from other countries can’t be acted on. Again it’s merely the lack of desire to act that’s that’s lacking.

blammer

Single-Sixer
I get some spam calls. If I answer them for fun, I answer "FBI Frauds Division, how may I direct your call?" They usually quickly hang up. If they don't hang up immediately, I muffle the phone and say "Fred, trace this call." THATs when I hear CLICK.
You need to get a life :) Of course, now they've verified there's a live human at that number.....

I'm very happy for spam filters like NoMoRobo. I've kept my landline for giving out as my junk phone: if anyone wants to contact me they can leave a message.

jbenedetto2

Bearcat
You need to get a life :) Of course, now they've verified there's a live human at that number.....

I'm very happy for spam filters like NoMoRobo. I've kept my landline for giving out as my junk phone: if anyone wants to contact me they can leave a message.
THAT stuff IS my life. I have been retired going on 41 years. The spam filters don't always work. They clone all kinds of legit phone numbers. Twice I have gotten calls, on my cell phone, from my cell phone number. Those were fun calls. The scammer didnt think it was funny. Sometimes I just enjoy breaking their chops by keeping them on the phone. My record so far is 18 minutes to an idiot answering questions. For 18 minutes he was not scamming others.

If you do happen to answer because it looks legit they generally start off with "How are you today?" Now, you have them! "So nice of you to ask; I am having a terrible day ... let me tell you about it." Everything, including the goldfish dying, is fair conversation at that point.
OR
You can answer: "Southern Precinct, Detective Edwards, how may I help you?" Click.

Last edited:

blammer

Single-Sixer
THAT stuff IS my life. I have been retired going on 41 years. The spam filters don't always work. They clone all kinds of legit phone numbers. Twice I have gotten calls, on my cell phone, from my cell phone number. Those were fun calls. The scammer didnt think it was funny. Sometimes I just enjoy breaking their chops by keeping them on the phone. My record so far is 18 minutes to an idiot answering questions. For 18 minutes he was not scamming others.
I admit, wasting their time is time well spent. There was a computer guy who built some kind of Artificial Intelligence to answer his phone. It would react like a real human and tie them up for a while before they got to a point where they couldn't get response they wanted. He recorded conversations and had some funny ones.

I once got my own callerid on a land line. Of course it's impossible to conncect with your own phone (at least used to be).

You get a few Spam Warrior at-a-boys. Just keep safe and don't get snared by some weird gotcha like answering 'yes' to something that gets you involved with having ok'd getting sent something you're supposed to pay for, enforceable or not. And be careful that you don't actually say you are law enforcement (unless you are).

bowserb

Bearcat
If a caller is in my address book, the name shows on the phone screen. If a caller number is not in my address book, only the number shows, and I generally don't answer. If real, they'll leave a voice mail. The only time I'll answer a call with only a number is if I am expecting a call--auto repair, that sort of thing. I get around 15 or so spam calls a day.

blammer

Single-Sixer
And why is that? Seems like I can answer my phone anyway I choose. I didn't specify any particular State, County, Parish, or town.
I'm more paranoid these days, so I wouldn't want to get caught misrepresenting myself as LEO in case someone gets a wild hair and wants to get even or some law agency gets a subpoena to review calls completely unrelated to me and stumbles on that call. These shops record these calls 'for education' or 'quality control' purposes.

But that's just me.

Latest posts