Spam phone calls

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Just wondering if anyone else is getting a series of SPAM calls from the NY City areas? My filter is picking them up but seems just this week I have gotten a bunch. Of course I don't answer them. I don't know if there is any correlation between the two but this started the same time I downloaded Duck Duck Go. I might dump it and see if they stop.

Last edited:

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
I don't get spam calls. The secret is not to answer any callers you don't know. If it is someone important they will leave a message. Automated systems don't (possibly can't) leave a message.

I don't like doing it this way, but until the phone companies decide to actually shut down the spammers (not in their interest as they make money on these calls) I'll jus do what works.

Ride1949

Blackhawk
I use duck duck go and haven’t had any spam calls from NY.

You might be getting lots of political calls. There’s lots going around now.
Yup. I've been using duckduckgo for a couple of years now. I rarely get any spam calls.

KIR

Single-Sixer
I keep getting text messages from Republicans asking for $$$. I know they are not actually from the politicians themselves, but most of them are asking for their fellow politicians who are running for office. I block each one, then delete it. I don't know why they don't ask Donny T. for the money, after all, he is the one who made millions asking for money to fight "The Big Lie" and for him to run for office. The disclaimer he had said that any monies he got would not have to be used for those purposes. In other words, he could spend the monies, anyway he wanted to. I am NOT one of those dummies that send in monies to any politician. There are always people out there willing to give away their monies for those purposes.
I don't get a lot of calls, so it amuses me.

hittman

Staff member
I get very few spam calls and have no idea where they’re from. If my cheap-o flip phone shows a number not in my contacts list, I just push the decline button and move on with my life.

They don’t leave a message cause I deleted that feature from my service.

It sure would be nice if this Lounge thread could be kept in...The Lounge.
Exactly. Why must everyting that happens or is asked here turn in to something political. There is a section for that ... it would be appreciated if it was taken there. All I was asking was if the two might be connected. As for the advice of never answering ... I specifically stated that my spam filer was catching them, not that I ever answered any.

CoalCrackerAl

Single-Sixer
I hate the warranty calls. I told them i have a new car. Didn't stop them. I told them im amish. It didn't work. Anymore i don't answer calls that are not on my contacts list.

jbenedetto2

Bearcat
I get some spam calls. If I answer them for fun, I answer "FBI Frauds Division, how may I direct your call?" They usually quickly hang up. If they don't hang up immediately, I muffle the phone and say "Fred, trace this call." THATs when I hear CLICK.

kcsteve

Bearcat
Once I told them that parking security wants them to move their camel. That’s when the cuss fight started.

dweis

Single-Sixer
It isn’t duck-duck-go. I started using it when it first became available. The spam I got in email and on the net dropped substantially. The app does not interact with you phone. If you are getting spam calls it because your phone number has ended up on a list of phone numbers that is being distributed on the dark web. You cannot assume the area code you are seeing for the call is legit. The phone scammers clone numbers and use them to disguise their source. I get then from 610, my AC, and from NY and AZ. I block the numbers but it does little good because the scammers have unlimited numbers they can clone. When I get a call I think is a scam/spam I answer the phone with FBI how can I help you? They disconnect fast.