SP101 Value

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
Greetings all,

I've got a Ruger SP101 I'm looking to move down the road. It's in .357 Mag, with the short barrel and a factory bobbed hammer. I'm led to believe that is fairly unusual, but I have no idea how value is affected, if at all. This revolver has about 1/2 a box of ammo through it. There's nothing wrong with it, I just have more guns than I shoot, so I figure I might as well move it on to someone who will appreciate it.

In any event, here are a few pics. Please let me know what a fair price would be to both sides. I will probably list it in the Classified Ads here when I have determined an asking price.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
It's still cataloged as a current model (5720) with an MSRP of $719. The real street price for NIB is $550 to $590 plus tax and transfer based on the Gallery of Guns quotes in my area. BTW, the quotes for this model are identical to those for the exposed hammer models so it's not rare and doesn't command any price premium.

Used, even slightly used, will probably bring that down to no more than $500 or a bit less.

hittman

Staff member
Yeah, I was going to say $450 around these parts. It's a fairly common model and some folks will want to knock it down more for being without hammer spur.

They're great little guns though. Good luck with your sale.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
The bobbed hammer would lessen it's value to some folks,me included.
I found a second year .38 a few years back . It was / is in like newcondition.
The dealer was asking $325 for it and he waved the transfer fee.

With the bobbed hammer I think you are looking at maybe, $375. Most people want a hammer. If they can live with out that they can buy a used LCR for a reasonable price. Hammers are very difficult to find and expensive when and IF you do. You can buy a NIB 2-1/2" with the hammer for $466 shipped. Who wants a used one with out the hammer for more than that??? Good luck on the $375 IMO.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Funny you are getting some low-ball numbers. Desirable self-defense gun. New with taxes and fees in my neighborhood around $600.
For a LNIB I would think $450-$500 depending on shipping etc.

ADP3

Single-Sixer
Sorry but yours is a quite common SP101. I've bought two similar to yours in the last 6 months, both LNIB but one had night sights. I paid $450 for each of them, one from an individual and one from Cabela's. I see yours going for the same price in a cash sale to an individual. For trade in value subtract 25 to 35%.

Best Regards,
ADP3

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
Thanks to all for your input. I have posted it up in the classifieds at what I think is a "middle ground" asking price. Willing to listen to reasonable offers.

Latest posts