SP101 rubber grips that don't interfere with speed loaders?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Nakanokalronin

Single-Sixer
I really like the factory grips. I like that it doesn't fill in the gap by the trigger guard like most grips do that make your grip lower. First picture shows a factory grip. The red arrow is pointing to the clearance allowing just enough room for a full 3 finger grip.
cjRYmJu.jpg

Now with the Pachmayr grips like every other set of grips I've seen, that gap is filled in. The aftermarket grip may be the same length as the factory grips, but now you can only get a 2 finger hold.
3xexV9H.jpg

I like the inserts and the overall feel when firing even with full power .357 rounds, but what I don't like is how Safariland speedloaders get hung up on the grips when inserting them into the cylinder.

Before I pull out the dremel and make the grips look like trash just so they function, I'm asking here to see if there are any rubber grips similar in size that allow speedloaders to be used without interference. If there are no rubber grips that can function with speedloaders, then I'm willing to consider wood grips as well.

Nakanokalronin

Single-Sixer
I found someone selling the old Butler Creek / Uncle Mike's rubber boot grips that seem to fit the bill, however I don't know if they have more clearance for speed loaders. I could always modify those instead of the factory grips. Looking forward to some feedback.

contender

Ruger Guru
By their nature of offering extra recoil absorption, from the ones I've seen,, aftermarket rubber grips all seem to interfere with speedloaders. BUT,, I'd much rather modify a cheaper set of rubber grips than the factory ones. I've ground off rubber on more than one set of rubbers to fit MY hands. Makes a world of difference. Go slow,, gentle pressure during grinding,, and checking fit often.

For me it's not about 2 fingers vs 3 fingers on the grip, as much as a grip that's angled differently so my knuckle doesn't get whacked, by the trigger guard. Put on a Hogue grip, or a Trausch grip and I have room for 3 fingers and I don't get my knuckle whacked. Everything else is secondary and can be adjusted or modified. I will not stick with the factory grip, though I keep them in the box.

Nakanokalronin

Single-Sixer
Bear Paw Jack said:
For me it's not about 2 fingers vs 3 fingers on the grip, as much as a grip that's angled differently so my knuckle doesn't get whacked, by the trigger guard. Put on a Hogue grip, or a Trausch grip and I have room for 3 fingers and I don't get my knuckle whacked. Everything else is secondary and can be adjusted or modified. I will not stick with the factory grip, though I keep them in the box.

I like the grips like the factory one in my first picture due to not having material take up the space behind the trigger guard. For me, it allows not only a full grip without making the grip larger, but it also allows a higher hold.

BDM1

Single-Sixer
Thanks for posting that, Nakanokalronin, "fill in the gap behind the triggerguard" has probably been my biggest pet peeve with gun writers over the years. One says it, they all parrot it. "Make sure you fill in behind the triggerguard!" "Ya gotta fill in behind the triggerguard!" "You're a commie if ya don't fill in behind that triggerguard!" Read that so many times it made me nauseous. If you like the fill of a revolver on top of a stick, yea, fill in that gap behind the triggerguard. Yea, some have knuckle busting problems, but all the gun writers implied that everyone did. I often wondered why the gun writers didn't mount a campaign to force the manufacturers to totally remove the gap and fill in with metal. As i said, probably my biggest pet peeve, rant over!!!

JStacy

Blackhawk
Nakanokalronin said:
Bear Paw Jack said:

I like the grips like the factory one in my first picture due to not having material take up the space behind the trigger guard. For me, it allows not only a full grip without making the grip larger, but it also allows a higher hold.

I have seen videos of firing the SP101 with full 357 with factory grips and with Hogue finger groove grips. The video measured the arch of how much the gun rose on firing. The factory grips allowed the gun to rise only about 1/2 of what the Hogue grips allowed the gun to rise. In other words the factory grips , that hold the bore in a lower axis to your grip that aftermarket grips, would allow for quicker follow up shots. So I leave the factory grips on my 2.25" SP101

Nakanokalronin

Single-Sixer
Well I got some brand new Butler Creek/Uncle Mike's grips and they do indeed allow the speed loaders to be inserted with only a little rubbing on the scooped out portion. Now to see how it shoots with them on.

EabOlQU.jpg

WestTex

Single-Sixer
Bear Paw Jack said:

This

Latest posts