SP101 Recoil Apology

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Lo-Bo

Bearcat
I use Hogue grips on my Sp101. Factory grip seems to be made for someone with tiny hands.

maxpress

Buckeye
i wear xl gloves so i figure i have large hands, but i find i cant shoot well with houges. and forget concealment. but to each there own. recoil is stout with heavyweight fullhouse .357s no matter what in an sp.

nn

Single-Sixer
DonD:
Your not the first guy to figure out hogue mono grips stop hand abuse; same issue with the sp 101 in .327 FM.

Houge's are very good as are the Trausch Grips I have on my SP101.
They fit my hand well and do a very good job of absorbing recoil.

sp101.jpg

As I've said before, there is no free lunch. If ya buy a small revolver, and then ya buy big grips, what have you gained? Maybe a GP or Security Six would have been a better choice to start with.

And, when a feller buys a small gun, and then is disappointed because it kicks hard, well...

I fully understand, to each his own, but the SP is the easiest shooting of the small frame revolvers. But, if you still expect it to handle like a medium frame revolver, it's not gonna do it. And, knowing that a small frame revolver usually has small grips, it is worthwhile trying different techniques that might allow you to keep the the small grips. After all, isn't "small", the idea? If a guy tries squeezing all his fingers on the front of a small grip, then it's very likely he's gonna batter his middle finger on the trigger guard. So, (and I even have to do this with some much larger revolvers), if ya try curling your little finger underneath the grip, it gives the middle and ring fingers a bunch more breathing room, and gives the middle finger some clearance from the trigger guard.

A guy's just gotta decide what he really wants.

WAYNO.

gak

Buckeye
Any inbetween solutions? I've heard there might be. What are Pach compacts like on the SPs? I forget the specific model, but like the Pachs on my K (LS 65) better than the monogrips that were the primary alternative. In that specific comparison, less "grippy" (in a good way) than the Hogues, a little smaller profile and less printy. Maybe slightly less absorptive ultimately, but we're talking acceptable nits, with other good points winning out in the tradeoff. My guess would be still more cushion/control than the factory SPs (in an extended comparison).

ronto

Hunter
I used Trausch grips for a while and they tore up the webbing between my fore finger and thumb (and no, I'm not a duck) during long range sessions.
Put on the Hogue's and problem solved.