SP101, or LCR? I need opinions and advice please

Help Support Ruger Forum:

revhigh":3h88hczp said:
THe only truly comfortable way for a civillian to carry is in the pocket, IMO. I've tried IWB, SOB, and about every other method. I even pocket carry my Glock 26 when I don't have the KT P3AT. Once you start pocket carrying, you'll find that you are NEVER without your gun, if it's light enough, like the P3AT at 14 ounces loaded. Even the Glock 26 is too big and too heavy for summer, but just fine for winter. Nothing beats a gun like the P3AT or LCP for civillian carry, IMO.

I'm a civilian and while I'm not a fan of 380 or smaller I agree with your statement. I got my carry permit while I owned a 3" .38 SP101. I quickly got annoyed with having to "dress around" that gun in an IWB holster. I traded it for a S&W 642 (before the LCR). It has quickly become my carry gun of choice. Had the LCR been out I would have definitely looked at that gun as well.

I carry this gun in one of three holsters, a Nemesis when wearing slacks, an Uncle Mikes pocket holster when wearing jeans and a Mika IWB when I can dress around it. Total holster outlay around $60.

I have both speed strips and speed loaders, but I carry the speedstrips most of the time because they're more convenient. When I took my permit class I was told that the average number of shots fired in a civilian involved selfdefense shooting was 1.5 so I don't feel undergunned.

I have confidence in the Gold Dot +P rounds but I'm sure there are others that are as good if not better.

I have and have carried larger guns, but inveriably every time I do I get made :oops: so I stick with what works for me.

However, if I was law enforcement I would be carrying at least a Glock 26 with an extra Glock 17 mag when not on duty. I've heard too many stories of off duty cops stumbing into armed robberies and what not. Depending on the agency their response would need to be different than a civilian's. In my state I have a duty to retreat from a threat if possible. My gun is when I can't and have no choice but to defend myself from great bodily harm.

Edited to add: A long answer to a short question, but to sum it up; if convience is a contributing factor as to whether you'll carry often or not have confidence that a lightweight snubby capable of +P will do the job.

NMCB3

Bearcat
I`ve packed a SP101 around for 11 years now and its an excellent gun That said I recently retired it in favor of an LCR, the lighter weight was what prompted me to make the switch, that and the similar recoil and accuracy of the SP made it a no brainier. The lighter weight makes a big difference and the only downside that I see vs the SP thats not speculation is its not a 357.

I have both and as mention several times is the recoil. The SP101 is heavier so felt recoil is not as bad.
But the LCR is lighter and smaller. The recoil shooting regular 38 spl loads is not that bad. I shot about 120 rds the other day with no problems.
Price for new is pretty close. I just picked up a 327 Mag in the SP for $450.

stare-decisis

Single-Sixer
http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Ruger SP101 Report.htm
Stephen Camp writes good articles on all kinds of handguns on this website. This article of his and reading his forum posts at different gun sites really convinced me to get a Sp101.
I've been very happy w/mine. Easy to carry, a bit heavy but thats appreciated when firing some snappy loads of 357.
The DA trigger has smoothed out a bit but still just a tad heavy, but it does stage really well. The SA is decent.

billccm

Bearcat
Well, I actually had a conversation with an off duty deputy sheriff on this subject, and his advice for the CCW newbie was to get an LCR.

I am going to rent an LCR this Thursday and take a test drive. I'll report back.

I sincerely appreciate all of the replies.

Take care, Bill

Gutpile Charlie

Bearcat
At risk of being flamed, here's what I think.

Forget about the LCR. Everything that Ruger has recently released has just been "eat up" with problems.

Get a real gun. The SP101 would be fine, along with the S&W J frames with 1 7/8" barrels, round butts, etc.

Lately Ruger has been having difficulty getting it right the first time. I have old Rugers that I wouldn't trade for anything, but I have "recent" autoloaders that both had to be "fixed" before they were reliable. I had both a KP95DC and a KP97DC, that after the replacement of parts have turned out to be excellent guns, however they were not that way out of the box.

I carry a Smith J frame snubbie in my pocket, 24/7 for over five years now. I've often thought of the SP101 and it does have some advantages. Six instead of five shots, .357 instead of .38...but this comes with a weight penalty.

I think the small, traditional revolvers are the way to go.

MARLIN 45 COLT

Bearcat
Since you are a revolver newbie- an LCR is nice and small-but of
questionable value as a defense weapon- On the other hand the SP 101 is a very good at defense.-I have one with a 3" bbl. With full power 125 JHP it Kicks a bunch. The Rubber grips make it doable . The heavy recoil makes a second shot a bit slow. I had mine ported and Recoil was reduce a little-not much- It did shoot a little lower and I filed the front sight down to suit.

Burley

Bearcat
The SP101 is a 5 shot in .357 and a sixshooter in .327. I'd get a Smith 642 NO LOCK or a SP 101. Gutpile makes good sense. Get a real gun. New and different does not mean better. Tried and true when the chips are down and it's your a$$ is on the line means better. If you just want to carry a 642 is fine. If you want to do a bunch of shootin' and carry some, a 3' 101 would be better. Especialy if it's your only hand gun. The SP 101 in .327 has problems. Stay away.

gunguru

Bearcat
My Rugers currently are a P95DC & a LCR. I have owned SP101's & GP100's and they are fine guns, but for concealed carry, I'd rather not have one as heavy as a brick.

While the LCP and SR9 had recalls, and so did most 327's, the LCR has had no such recall. It has been good to go. As for service life (max rounds fired), I have heard of no such and I would venture a guess that most folks would never exceed it anyway. It's not a combat gun, it's not a target gun. It is a specific concealed carry gun and while it will be shot, I don't think you would ever wear it out shooting it. I've got thousands of rounds through my P95 and it's guts look as good as new. Most folks who dis the LCR don't own one, never shot one and generally cannot accept change the way things are made.

mrwickwire

Bearcat
Go with the SP101, that is what I carry. Although the LCR is light, it is still unproven, and a lot of Ruger's new guns have been subject to recalls. One thing I really do not like about the LCR is the internal lock. The SP101 does not have an internal lock.

Wow, I never new that civilians should ccw via the pocket. My primary has been an sp101 3inch for 7 years I beleive. Carried in a fanny pack, shoulder holster, IWB, OWB etc. If you can't conceal it you may need some instruction. On the otherhand what works for you works for you, but don't limit others by your limitations.
I personally would buy the sp 101. I don't buy anything that hasn't been on the market for several years, and proven
gramps.

billccm

Bearcat
OK, I went to the range today and rented an LCR, and bought a 50 round box of cheap 38 special reloads, and a couple of targets (cost me $26).

When I first picked up the LCR, I immediately thought of it as a flimsy, cheap toy. I was almost scared to fire it. I thought about exchanging it for the SP101 rental (which the range offered).

First 5 shots were all in the center mast box, and grouped really well (target is approx 25 feet). Recoil was there, but not nearly as bad as I expected. I really liked the trigger. In fact, trigger wise I like it better than the SP101 and GP100 that I have fired quite often.

I went through 25 rounds quickly, and changed out targets. This time I went for the bulls eye type target at approx 20 feet. I seem to be hitting the target center, but offset to the right? I correct a bit and group a few shots near the bulls eye, but never hitting the center.

After spending about 45 minutes with this gun, and 50 rounds, I can understand all of the negative and positive comments that I have read. Having said that, I am about ready to order an LCR. It just seemed comfortable to shoot after a few rounds, and with prices for the new revolver pre-ordered in the $430 range, I think that it is a pretty good deal.

It does seem to be a nice newbie carry gun.

Thank you all for your time in replies, and I sincerely appreciate all of the advice, and both good and bad comments.

Take care, Bill

Boomer

Single-Sixer
Since I can't CCW (and don't) here in SoCal, my desire was for a more compact home defense weapon than my already not-so-large Beretta 92 Compact-L 9mm and more powerful than my Beretta Tomcat 32 acp. My choice of 3" barrel was easy considering lack of conceal and desire for better recoil management and sight picture with the longer and heavier barrel. My new SP101 will be OWB carried when out in the boonies in a Bianchi 5BHL holster (in transit now). If I could CCW, the LCR would likely be on my list for serious consideration.

Latest posts