SP101 noob question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rudy64

Bearcat
Hello, this is my first time on this forum. I'm a CZ and 1911 guy, but I just bought a new 2 1/2 inch SA/DA SP101 for $425 + tax (was that a good price)?

Well my real question is for the reassembly process for the SP101. I just disassembled a ruger sp101 for the first time. Now that I have it together, can someone who has one answer me this. If you fire the gun and let the trigger move forward until just before it resets and then pull the trigger again, is it normal for the cylinder to rotate to the next round without the hammer moving? If I pull the trigger fully, it will fire normally, but I'm worried that if trying to rapid fire, it may not fire if the trigger is not allowed to move forward fully.

Thanks.

For a new gun in that configuration the price you paid is average, not too high, but no bargain either.
If I understand your question correctly, the cylinder should not move again without the trigger going forward and resetting. Normally the trigger will hang and not engage the hammer if it doesn't reset, but it may release the cylinder latch and allow the cylinder to 'free up' where you could move the cylinder by hand but not actually advance the cylinder with the pawl.
Hope this helps.

rudy64

Bearcat
Well, I just got off the phone with Ruger and they said that it was not normal. She said that I should disassemble again and reassemble. Does anyone have any idea as to where I may have gone wrong?

rudy64, I just pulled my SP out to try and duplicate your situation, and I can't get mine to do that. Once the hammer drops, the cyl stop stays engaged and will not let the cylinder turn until the next cycle of the hammer drawback.
I suggest you disssamble and then study the vids as you reassemble. Good luck.