SP101...Is It Safe To Use These???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TexasAggie

Bearcat
Probably a dumb question, but is it okay to feed 38 Special Federal 147-gr. +P+ Hydrashoks in our SP101s (I have the 2 1/2 inch .357 Mag version)??? I only ask because the manual says +P, but says nothing about +P+. Will be learning here from you folks for awhile, so don't roast me too badly. :oops:

Sassi

Bearcat
The beauty of the 357 magnum SP101 is that you can shoot virtually anything in 38 Special and 357 magnum in this gun. I carry the Buffalo Bore lead HP bullet (heavy 38 special +P) round in mine.

Pal Val

Buckeye
Actually, my wife (5'2", 120 lbs) shoots the Federals in her SP101 and loves them. They shoot a tad low at 15 yds, but that's small potatoes, and to me 15 yds is at near the far end of that little gun's intended use.

luvmyruger

Blackhawk
stare-decisis":19nl3dse said:
I agree, I'd feel comfortable shooting those. Looking for some heavy cast 180 gr to try out next.

Federal makes some hard cast 180 s that I use. Great rounds

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
Yeah, +P+ can be a real fiasco in 38Spl but it's fine in a 357. In fact, that's the ONLY gun it should be shot in.

+P+ in .38Spl was all too often part of an agreement of fraud between the major ammo houses and police departments. The stuff was actually low-end .357, sometimes not even "low end". The goal was to allow police to lie on the witness stand and say "oh no, we don't use any of those eeevil MAGNUMS like Dirty Harry!"

I was told of one case where a cop wanted to qualify with his .38Spl S&W snubby revolver for off-duty use. The rangemaster made him qualify with "department issue" 38+P+ with a smirk, knowing exactly what would happen. The gun didn't blow up, but it was destroyed in just a few cylinders. Even post-retirement he was still pissed off over that one.

Federal did play that game, along with Winchester and others. The main thing that ended the scam was the rise of the auto in US policing.

But again: you can shoot this stuff in 357 revolvers no problem.

louiethelump

Buckeye
I wonder what color the sky is in your fantasy world................

"+P+ in .38Spl was all too often part of an agreement of fraud between the major ammo houses and police departments. The stuff was actually low-end .357, sometimes not even "low end". The goal was to allow police to lie on the witness stand and say "oh no, we don't use any of those eeevil MAGNUMS like Dirty Harry!" "

What a bunch of CRAP!!!

:twisted: :evil:

GhosT

Blackhawk
TexasAggie,

"Probably a dumb question"...there ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS! :)

Any .38 special factory loads are safe in a RUGER .357 magnum.
The pressures are lower.

If you do fire .38 specials in a .357 magnum,you do need to make sure you clean the chambers in the cylinder well,if dirty will mess with loading with .357 rounds.

"I have the 2 1/2 inch .357 Mag version"
Might wanna check to see if actually 2 1/4" version,not 2 1/2" ;)

Kudos on a great purchase, as I too own a 2 1/4"SP101 .357....owned it for years.
Mine a tad customized, but Straight from the factory think one of the best SNUBBIES EVER BUILT!

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
Not a fantasy. Unfortunately it's damned difficult to google anything on +P+ as google won't process it as a search string (the + key is an operator).

Stephen Wenger and many others say 38+P+ should only be used in 357 guns:

http://www.spw-duf.info/ammo.html

I've heard credible reports that some years back, Cor-Bon loaded 158gr slugs in 38+P cases out so far that they would only chamber in 357 guns, yet were still marked "+P+ - law enforcement only". This was for FBI field offices that weren't allowing agents to carry 357 ammo. This would likely have been around mid to late 1980s era, possibly a bit earlier.

There were all kinds of games going on, pressures for +P+ have never been standardized, if you use anything marked such in anything less than a 357...you're living on the edge.

Note that while there is no SAAMI specification for .38 Special +P+ there is a sort-of agreement that they spec out below .357 pressure levels, so the SP-101 may be OK.

Also note that the manufacturers do not necessarily agree on the working pressures for the so-called .38 Special +P+ ammo, so you're never really sure what you're getting when you buy some.

Your gun . . . your choice.

JMHO
:D

Knuckles

Buckeye
A Ruger SP101 in .357mag will take a core-bon 200gr HC at 1200fps, and an energy of 640ft/lbs... I'm sure a .38spl +p+ will pale in comparison.

I had to try it in my SP101-DAO... it wasn't really fun, but it didn't hurt my hand.

You can "+p+" in your .357-SP101 all you want... that is, till your hand gets numb. :roll: