SP101 in .327 Federal for Wife/home defense?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Coyote Hunter

Single-Sixer
Would like your opinions on a home defense handgun for my wife.

She is a leukemia survivor and the meds that cured the leukemia wreaked havoc on her body. (She has had a hip and two shoulder replacements as a result of dead bone caused by the meds, and needs a knee replacement.) Her arm and hand strength is low - after her shoulder surgeries she couldn't open a water bottle. Although much better now, she still lacks upper body strength.

We were at a gun show yesterday trying to find a good handgun for her to keep around the house. (NOT for concealed carry.) She is recoil shy but has shot my Browning BDM (9mm Luger), Walther PPK/S .380, her Ruger Super Single Six with .22 WMR and my Browning Buckmark .22LR. Not sure if she has shot my Kimber .45, but I think so.

The problem with many semi-autos is that she has a lot of trouble operating the slide and simply cannot do it on many either because the spring is too strong or she cannot get a good grip on the slide. After looking at many auto-loaders we both decided a revolver might be a better choice. She prefers an exposed hammer and since this is not for carry I do, too.

I had thought a Beretta .32 Tomcat (tip-up barrel) would be a good idea but she tried one yesterday and didn't care for the ergos – didn't feel good in her hand. Sig has a very small .380 that she liked and could operate easily but the (possible) problem with it is its advantages - it is very small and lightweight, which add up to a very short sight radius and more recoil. We looked at the Ruger LCP and LC9 semi's but she was having difficulty with the slides. She likes the laser version a lot, as do I.

Two that have our attention are the Ruger SP101 and GP100. I reload so I could download a .357 Mag to comfortable levels, probably .38 or .38+P velocities with a 125g bullet. The size and ergos are comfortable for her and there is enough weight to help absorb recoil, especially with the heavier GP. Another option, which I am strongly considering, is a .327 Federal, with which I have no experience. One thing I like about the .327 Federal is it can push a 100g bullet fast with significantly lower recoil than a .357 Mag and a bullet of similar Sectional Density.

She can't operate the slide on my Walther PPKS .380 or Kimber .45 and these are my primary carry weapons so they are out. Nor can she operate the slide on my Browning Buckmark .22, so that is out. (Can't get a good grip on the slide and I'm not a big fan of rimfire .22 autoloaders for defense, especially for someone who isn't practiced in clearing jams/rounds that didn't fire. With a DA revolver you just pull the trigger again. )

If we don't purchase another handgun we have the following options:
1. Ruger Super Single Six with .22 WMR cylinder, 6.5" barrel
2. Ruger stainless Blackhawk .357 Mag with 4.62" barrel (can be downloaded)
3. Browning BDM 9mm Luger with 4-1/2" barrel, two 15-round mags (I keep them loaded with 13)

All thoughts are welcome. TIA.

Opinion Alert!

I don't like the .327 in this situation. I believe she might be better served with a GP100 and .38 specials or .357 loads (reloads) she is comfortable with. My wife shoots a 4" stainless GP100 and likes it better than the SP101 because of its weight and lower felt recoil. Recoil on this revolver is quite manageable as my 73 year old mother can verify. We also have a Sig P230 that works well although we don't take it out much anymore.

In reference to your current options, anything is better than nothing and being proficient with either of the three firearms listed sounds like a winner. Get her practicing with the one she likes best. This way, if you both decide to persue another option later, you will be covered until that time.

rugnelli

Knuckles

Buckeye
My vote... #2. Ruger stainless Blackhawk .357 Mag with 4.62" barrel (can be downloaded) is a great choice for home defense, I got my daughter one.

SP101 3" bbl 357mag/38spl... for a great point and shoot home gun.

how about a SP 101 in 32 H&R mag with 4" barrel ? i've got 2 of them and really like them ,+
they are what i keep on each side of the bed along with a short barrel 20 gauge 870

nn

Single-Sixer
I just wounder were all this info on the low recoil of the .327 FM comes from in a SP 101 or any similar sized revolver without porting. It is a high pressure rnd and results in much recoil in a SP 101 with stock grips. I shot 30 rnds and had to stop for a numb hand. A Houge monogrip about solves the recoil issue, but, probably not for the lady in question in the OP.

Of course .32H&R mag in such a gun would solve the recoil issue and allow others to shoot the .327 if they wanted.

The .327 in a GP 100 would tame it, if the Gp 100 was light enough for her.

rdf009

Single-Sixer
I agree with nn. The .327 SP101 may be too much for her, unless you want to load it with .32 mags (which are nothing to scoff at as a self defense round). The .327 will be far more brutal than a .38 spcl SP101 would be.

If she can handle the weight of a 3" or 4" GP100 loaded with 38s, that's what my choice would be. I have never felt undergunned with a .38 special.

I don't own an SP101 but I do own a 2" Smith 632-2 and just recently acquired a GP100 in .327. Personally, I don't think the recoil is all that bad in the J-frame Smith which is a little lighter than the SP. I think she could probably handle the recoil but the muzzle blast will probably be more of an obstacle for her, it's pretty loud.

The GP100 on the other hand is a puppy dog. Recoil in it is almost non-existant, even with 100gr. American Eagle's. It's loud too but not quite as bad as the shorter barreled guns. It also holds 7 rounds and has an excellent DA trigger, not to mention how sweet it is when fired SA. The grip may be a little large for her. I wear Med. gloves and it is almost too large for me.

I'd get her the GP in .327 and not look back. If she does find the .327's uncomfortable(I doubt she will) as stated the .32H&R's are still a viable SD option. You can shoot .32ACP's in it for practice/plinking too but I would trust my life to an ACP out of a revlolver.

C.S.

Mr. Bluster

Bearcat
I'd buy the Ruger SP101 in .327 fed mag but provide her with .32 S&W long. A site called Genitron [http://www.genitron.com/HandgunDB/DB-Stats-Ranks.asp] will compare recoil and power for you. A 38 =P is 3.89 lb/ft recoil and 123K power compared to a .357 mag's 13.95 recoil and 192K power.

DGW1949

Hunter
Nix the .327, and/or any other center fire "magnum".
T'were that my wife, and t'were the object to arm her with a low-recoil, relatively quiet, absolutely reliable revolver that is easy to use, has good power and exhibits good accuracy....I'd cut through the chase, buy her an older 4" or 6" K-frame S&W and load it with "regular" 38 Spl-158 Grn ammo.
FWIW, I say that because my wife say's that.
She too lives with illness, and the weakness that goes with it.....but she's perty-deadly with her 38 Spl Smiths.

There's lot's of real-nice Model 10's (and even fixed-sight 357's) that can still be had for under $300 these days, and a better all-around revolver has yet to be made. Aint no MIM parts, and aint no silly safeties.
You can put the money you save towards practice ammo and/or a different set of grips if she needs them.

Hope this helps and good luck to both of you.

DGW

contender

Ruger Guru
I have several 32 H&R mags, and one 327 Mag. A proper load in the 327 is a descent SD round. Not the best, but better than a lot.
The biggest thing is HER ability to operate the gun. Chosing a revolver is an excellent idea. Most likely, she can cock it to the SA mode, so a DA is plus. ANd if SHE can operate the DA trigger assy, then excellent.
While you didn't mention it, how about the Ruger LCR? It's action is easier to operate than many other DA revolvers. And if gotten in 38 or 357, it can be custom reloaded to allow her a comfortable shooting session. Loading it with a little bit more powerful SD load won't be noticed if she is under stress in a SD problem.
But the 327 is a good choice under your guidelines listed.

PiratePast40

Single-Sixer
My wife is in a similar situation with fibromyalgia and insufficient strength to operate a slide. We went with a 4" GP100 w/ adjustable sights. The ful lug helps with balance and the trigger pull in both SA and DA is comfortable for her. We haven't taken the gun out to shoot yet but anticipate a relatively mild recoil with .38's based on what others have told us. The Hogue grips are just a tad big for her so I've allready purchased a set of the older grips that we can try. I also ordered some pearl grip inserts for her for Valentines day :D.

Another of my thoughts was to get her a gun that she could practice with so the ability to shoot both .38's and .357's is important to us from financial as well as comfort considerations.

We're both rookies with hand guns. At least it's been so many years since either one of us has shot a gun that we're considering ourselves newbies and going through the gun safety courses and joining a gun club.

For what it's worth, those were our considerations.

CharlieW

Bearcat
.32 H&R Magnums out of either a .327 SP101 or GP100 would be very soft shooting and easy for your wife to to control - I ran some 85 grains out of my .327 GP100 last week and they felt much lighter than .38 specials out of my .357 GP100, even though they run higher velocity. Good Luck -- hope you find a great match.

Sal1950

Blackhawk
Of the choices you mentioned, IMHO the SP101 would be the best choice here.
Since you reload it's a tossup between the 357 or the 327 since you can load either to any level of recoil that's acceptable.
Considering what you said about upper body strength might want to look at a LCR in 38 spl. Word is they have a super nice and light DA pull. I know due to it's light weight it will have more recoil, but again you should be able to load 38s that feel like 22s if that's what's needed.. Just an idea
Sal

I think the SP101 in 327 loaded to 32 H&R mag level or in 357 loaded to 38+P levels would probably work for her.

Since this is for home defense, could you load up your Buckmark or 9mm Browning and rack the slide and then have her keep it handy. She would just be required to take off the saftey then, and if there were reason to reload she shouldn't need to pull the slide, only release it.

Obviously I live in a child free house.

Coyote Hunter

Single-Sixer
All the replies are much appreciated - please keep them coming!

We stopped by Sportsman's Warehouse today and he tried a 4" GP100 for the first time. The Hogue grips with the finger grooves were a bit too much for her as they kept her hand too low for her comfort. The SP101 was more to her style and she liked the Hogue grips that are available for it.

Still haven't decided and we are in no hurry. I bought two more boxes of .22 WMR ammo for her Super Single Six. As soon as the weather warms up I'll take it to the range and run some chrono tests as well as blast some small (.5 Liiter) water jugs. I expect a more violent reaction than from my Walther .380 due to the higher velocity.

So far I have three loads to try in the Super Single Six:
30g Hornady V-MAX
40g CCI JHP Maxi-Mag
45g Hornady FTX "Critical Defense"

The V-MAX probably wont make the cut but they are they should be pretty destructive and fun to test. :)

Coyote Hunter

Single-Sixer
Rumrunner said:
I think the SP101 in 327 loaded to 32 H&R mag level or in 357 loaded to 38+P levels would probably work for her.

Since this is for home defense, could you load up your Buckmark or 9mm Browning and rack the slide and then have her keep it handy. She would just be required to take off the saftey then, and if there were reason to reload she shouldn't need to pull the slide, only release it.

Obviously I live in a child free house.

Our girls are all gone (two have their own Kimbers and the third wants one) and no grandkids yet. So no worries on that front.

We have discussed the Browning BDM but I'm concerned she might "limp wrist" it and get a jam. My hunting buddy has a problem with his Ruger .40S&W with a jam every magazine or so. I shoot it with n jams at all.

The good thing about the 9mm Browning BDM is I could chamber a round and drop the hammer, as mentioned. I'd leave 12 rounds in the 15-round magazine and not worry much about the springs taking a set.

I still think a centerfire revolver would be best, though, with a .410 or 20 gauge shotgun or my Browning B92 .44 Mag carbine running light loads to back it up. (It is pretty brutal with full-house loads.)

Cordite

Single-Sixer
The SP101 in .327 would be a good choice as others have stated. You can work up in recoil from .32 S&W Long to .32 H&R Mag to .327 Fed Mag and find out what she can handle. In this way you don't need to fab up any low recoil ammo.

The Hogue grip on mine made all the difference... If you do get the SP101 get the Hogue grip.

Cordite

rickerb23

Bearcat
Just a few days ago I purchased for my wife a Taurus M327 which is their M85 chambered in .327 Federal magnum. It's a 2 inch snub nose. We took it to the range this past Friday and shot .32 S&W long as well as .32 H&R magnum. I started her off with the S&W long and the recoil is comparable to that of my .22 revolver. Which is to say, it is NON EXISTANT. There is no recoil from the S&W long. I snuck in the .32 H&R magnums and she did not even notice the difference. There is hardly any difference. I didn't even bother with the .327 Federal Magnums as this is her home defense gun and I want her to be as comfortable as possible shooting and operating it. Like the previous posters, she has not met a slide she can rack and is very recoil sensitive. I researched for a good while before buying with the Taurus. I had never shot a .32 H&R or S&W long and I was so glad that I was right bout their recoil properties. She is new to guns and struggled to get over her fears. This gun was the perfect choice and she couldn't be happier.