SP101 in .32 H&R Mag?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Frizzman

Bearcat
Hello All...I came across a SP101 in .32 H&R Mag in the used case in a local shop. I like the cartridge and load it. I have desired one of these for some years but never found one when I had the $ and never had the $ when I came across one. This one is in great condition with all that it came from the factory with. My question is about the barrel length. It has a 4" barrel. I believe I have seen them with a 3" barrel mostly. How common was the 4" barrel? Has anyone had one of these and if so, how do you like it?
A small framed revolver in .32 mag, made of stainless steel and with adjustable sights and a 4" barrel seems perfect to me as a trail gun. Besides, its strong enough to handle hotter than factory handloads and has the modern, modular construction of the Ruger DA revolver... I have had a stainless Security Six for 35 years and I have found nothing better...Thanks :)

FrontSite

Single-Sixer
They were made in the 3" & 4" barrels.. I have one with the 4"
and love it. Not sure if one is harder to find than the other but
I see them both occasionally online for sale. I think they will become
harder to find as they have not been made for a few years now
and some got the .327 conversion. If you already know the caliber
and have some... then I would get it. I load hot for mine.

FrontSite

32magfan

Blackhawk
I have the 3" and love it. I rarely see 4" though I did have a 4" in 22LR. I sold that to a shooting buddy and I regret it. Enjoy your new toy.

32Magfan

Single-Sixer
I had a 3" and it's a great little gun. I would have liked a 4" but they proved harder to find than the 3 1/16". A common complaint is the lack of elevation adjustment in the rear sight but mine proved dead on with 100gr bullets. The front blade is pinned in so it is easily replaced to make it shoot point of aim. I actually like the sights on them better than the standard SP-101 as they give a much better sight picture.

The gun can be easily bored out to the new .327 Federal as well and then it's a real powerhouse. Alan Harton did mine and the cost was very reasonable and shot very well when it came back. I just sold it to finance another project and I'm sure it will be missed.

Dale53

Blackhawk
I have a Ruger SP101 with a 4" barrel. Mine was one that couldn't be zero'd. I took it to my pistolsmith and had a rail installed on top (fairly blew my pistolsmith's mind, I did :oops: ) and installed a 1" Bushnell Red Dot. It easily sighted in and I can shoot any weight bullet I want.

My revolver shoots at match level and I mostly use S&W Long cases with a 100 gr Group Buy Keith bullet. It will shoot in the "X" ring at 25 yards. It makes a great small game load.

Dale53