SP101 hammers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

thumbs

Single-Sixer
Are the hammers on the spurred model and the spur-less model interchangeable? All I want to know is if I take a spur-less hammer will it work both single and double action in a 101 that originally had the spur hammer? If not can the spur-less hammer be modified to work both ways?
thanks for the help
thumbs

maxpress

Buckeye
they are interchangable but no you will not have single action on the spurless because the single action notch is absent on the spurless. it is however very easy to take your spur hammer out and cut off/file the spur. then on top of the hammer you may want to cut 3-4 groves with a triangle file for a grip surface.

thumbs

Single-Sixer
Yeah that was the question. Is the single action mechanism in the revolver or a mod to the hammer. So there is a "catch" in the spur hammer that is missing in the spur-less hammer. Can I put the notch in the spur-less hammer? Just interested probably better to bob the spur.

thanks

thumbs

Single-Sixer
You already answered those questions. Must have a very short memory. LOL

Are both hammers available from Ruger? Can I just order what I need?
Hammers aren't a critical part they won't sell are they?
thanks

thumbs

Single-Sixer
Thanks I haven't bought it yet so I don't have the manual. Crap that DASA would be perfect with the DAO hammer. I wonder why they won't sell just a hammer? Oh well. Crap

NotSoFast

Bearcat
thumbs":39bjyn7z said:
Thanks I haven't bought it yet so I don't have the manual. Crap that DASA would be perfect with the DAO hammer. I wonder why they won't sell just a hammer? Oh well. Crap

Try Numrich Gun Parts Corp. They are sold out right now but if you keep trying I'm sure they will return to stock. Here's the search for the hammer (and associated parts).

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Sea ... er=+hammer

maxpress

Buckeye
midwayusa.com is another.

or you could buy the spurless and have a mill operator copycraft the hammer that came with so you would have the notch.

thumbs

Single-Sixer
Thanks believe this or not I did see the hammers listed but knowing Ruger won't sell them I figured the sold out to mean the can't get them. The other problem is if I send the sp back to Ruger for the install they say they won't send back the original hammer.

Sounds like having one made would be cost prohibitive but ya don't know till ya ask I guess.

thanks guys

pisgah

Buckeye
If you can find a regular spurred hammer, it's no trick to bob the spur and grind off the SA hammer notch -- voila, a spurless DA-only hammer.

thumbs

Single-Sixer
The problem seems to be gettin a hammer at all. What I would like to do is have both. On the spurless put the notch in it so it would also be DASA.

deac45

Single-Sixer
I've seen that mod done on an S&W before. Spur was removed but the SA notch was left. One word of caution...if you have the gun cocked for SA fire is is darn near impossible to SAFELY de-cock if the need arises. It can be done, just be careful.

deac45

Pinecone

Blackhawk
thumbs, Ruger restricts the hammer because some "people" like to play/grind on the sear slot producing a possible "liability" issue. I can see their "point" as law suits simply drive "up" the price of guns for "all" of us!............................Dick :wink:

thumbs

Single-Sixer
I understand their position. I am always looking for the odd ball. I look at stuff and want to make it better (at least in my mind). What would be great is if they made the revolver with a bobbed hammer. I want to be able to shoot SA but also want to carry in my pocket at times. That spur is a pain. Just a little spur just enough to use SA and be snag free would be perfect.
Another way of looking at it is if they would offer a bobbed hammer maybe people wouldn't try to modify it themselves making it probably more dangerous. For example, I wouldn't do it but, their are people that will take the DAO hammer and cut the notch in it. Like you say though in the courts that may be a problem.
Just thinkin. To me that would be perfect. I heard, and it's probably wrong, that at one time they did offer a bobbed hammer.

pisgah

Buckeye
>...if you have the gun cocked for SA fire is is darn near impossible to SAFELY de-cock if the need arises.

Bullfeathers! Decocking safely is a piece of cake, although it takes a bit of practice to learn the drill. Two-handed is easiest, but it can be done very well one-handed. Place the thumb of either hand in front of the hammer, pull the trigger, allow the hammer to ease forward just a hair with the thumb still in front of the hammer, relase the trigger. As soon as you feel the trigger reet, it is perfectly safe to lower the hammer the rest of the way.

maxpress

Buckeye
so i cant remember who does this any more or if its still done but i think your answer maybe to send the gun off to get a foldup spur put on.

i have had hammer spurs since i was able to carry and have never had a problem concealing them.

thumbs

Single-Sixer
Yeah I agree, it isn't bad to decock at all. I have an ole Army and a single six I have to decock all the time. Of course they have spur hammers.

I was a the gun shop looking at the spur less 101. I was kinda hoping on my first try the hammer would go to SA but to my chagrin it didn't stay put. Evey the spur less would be fine with me if it also had SA.

I very well be making a mountain out of a mole hill. Maybe it isn't as bad as I thought. I do at times want to carry in my front pocket though. I realize it may be a bit snug. Maybe a good pocket holster would eliminate the problem.

Pinecone

Blackhawk
thumbs, Bobbing a hammer is really an easy task. I have bobbed many a hammer and it is usually a 20 minute job with a Dremel tool and cut-off wheels. You can do the whole job with the cut-off's. I usually form the "nub" after cutting off the spur and leave a 1/4 inch nub and "checker" the top of the nub with a three cornered needle file. Polish the hammer on a fine wire wheel brush when finished. That's it! I carried a Speed-Six with this modification concealed for 20 years and never had a problem with the nub "catching" on anything.......................Dick :wink:

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
A real easy way to de-cock a bobbed hammer is to put the index finger of you off hand between the hammer and the frame, pull the trigger and let the hammer fall on your finger (it won't hurt), then release the trigger and then pull your finger out. Simple. :D :D

...Jimbo

deac45

Single-Sixer
Pisgah, Jimbo, it never occured to me to do that. :oops: Talk about a "duh" moment! I just tried it with my S&W M60 and it was a snap. Who says old dogs can't learn a new trick or two! :lol:

deac45

Latest posts