SP101 cleaning questiion

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bkhann

Bearcat
Today I shot my first 50 rounds of 38 special through my new SP-101 and what a sweet little revolver!

When I got home I cleaned my new revolver and in doing so found that there is a powder buildup in the chambers where the shorter (than 357 mag) cartridges end. With a lot of work I got most of the residue removed, but certainly ther must be a better way!

Is it important to completely clean the chambers of this powder residue, and what method is the best way to remove powder residue?

This is my first revolver, all of my experience has been with semiautomatics.

nn

Single-Sixer
Patches from a lead away cloth.

A good solvent and a bore brush.

Copper strands from a chore boy pot scrubber around a bore brush and breakfree. Just be sure it is a pure copper chore boy. This is a good way to get lead out as well.

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
I use a bronze brush soaked in solvent and I chuck it to a drill at low speed. 5 seconds per cylinder and it is mirror clean.

deac45

Single-Sixer
Yep, got to clean out the crud ring. It may prevent the longer 357 round from seating fully. Good advice by all above.

deac45

bkhann

Bearcat
I suspected that might be the case. Anyhow, it sounds like it will be no big deal. I 'll get the revolver cleaned up tomorrow.

As I do my own reloading, it might be easier in the future to just load 357's and not use 38 specials at all. I can easly load 357 target loads equivalent to 38 special power. Cost will be close to the same.

Thank you for your help.

deac45

Single-Sixer
Another tip I've heard of is take a spent 357 case, flare the mouth slightly and push it into each chamber...essentialy scraping the crud out.

deac45

wwb

Hunter
A .40 cal brush on a cordless drill, with a dose of solvent, is just the ticket.