SP101 Build Project

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob R

Single-Sixer
WAY Back in the Day I got my first SP101, a 2.25 Inch 9mm. Pre Internet so custom holster makers were not growing on trees. The SP101 9mm was too heavy for pocket carry, and the 9mm ammo would come out of the factory moon clips when pocket carried, so I sold it. If I Had only known.
Today California Competition Works makes the SAM belt carrier for the moon clips, and no problem at all to get a quality leather holster. Today I would love a 9mm SP101.

Concealed Carry / Snub Match Revolver
Back to the Present. I am back in the SP101 business with a Model 5737, the common 2.25 Inch 38 Special+P. This is the common SA/DA version with a Hammer.

I have been looking at grips and the Altimont Fish Scale Panels with their New dressed up Rubber looks pretty good. Probably at the top of my list at the moment. Very close to my Willy Clapp GP100 grips. Also $44 is not bad.

Mixed reviews on Pachmayr Compact Grip fit. Lots of complaints on a sloppy fit.
The Hogue is a hair long for concealed carry, and has some complaints about speed loader clearance.
Thrash think I misspelled that, died and the site looks to be down from what I read.

Some wood looks good but expensive. Also mixed reviews on speed loader clearance.
The Custom USA Made ones you can request Speed Loader Clearance be added. So wood is doable.

The Sights can use some help.
The Gemini Fiber Optics look very good.
Also considering XS 24/7 Standard Dot, Meprolight, etc night sights.
I have a 315 Night Guard K Frame Snub which has night sights, so I could live with Fiber Optics as I am not out after dark all that much.

Chamfering the Chambers:
From what I read chamfered the chambers is a big help with speed loader reloads with an SP101.
I have had this done to all of my competition revolvers. Probably worth $50 to me to have this done.

Speed Loaders:
I have done a little testing, and the J Frame Jet Loader is looking to be the best option so far. The added 1/2" of length over the HKS 36 that the 3/4" diameter knob adds really helps getting it aligned. Also you have no knob to turn, just Push Down to trigger the J - Jet Loader.

wlr4fd.jpg

As you can see the J Jet Loader is not that mush larger than the HKS. Just the Knob size of the Jet Loader is all that is added in length. I can live with that considering how much better it works.

Trigger Work
My SP101 is slick. My guess would be a Carry Trigger Job has been done on it. Not nearly as nice as my K and L Frame competition revolvers, but well past my "So Far Stock" Willy Clapp GP100. My bet would be a #12 Hammer Spring, and some polishing, with a stock Rebound/Latch Spring. It is nice enough I will probably leave it alone considering I will probably Conceal Carry this one.

DE-Horn the Hammer
I am thinking this over. I might get the wife to shoot this one some. She might want to cock it.
For my use, I will probably never fire it Single Action ever.
I am planning on carrying it in a Rocky Hill Pancake at 4 O'Clock with one of my Big Creek Kydex belt carriers infront of it with a Jet Loader for reloads. Same set up I use for all my K, L, and GP100 concealed carry.

My Match set up just adds a second Speed Loader infront of the Rocky Hill Pancake holster, and one off side for fumble recovery. My monthly match weekend is my concealed carry practice. We shoot Steel one month on Saturday, and Defensive Pistol the next month on Saturday. Sunday following is ICORE Revolver. Almost everyone we have shooting at our handgun match does it to stay tuned up for concealed carry and self defense. ICORE is very flexible on how you set up a match. We normally set up most of our Stages Practical Tactical, instead of Run & Gun.

That is what I am thinking about at the moment. What would you do with it??
Leaving it alone is not an option by the way.

I will start slicking up the Willy Clapp shortly. I will probably make a road trip to Gravois Mills, Missouri shortly to see the Old Master, Ron Power, and have him Chamfer the Chambers on both. This would be the time for the Hammer De-Horn if I go that way also. No reason to home work shop it, when I can have the Old Master do it to perfection.

Ron has done his Power Custom Combat work to my brothers Willy Clapp GP100.
The guys at the Range have bought 6 off my local Gun Dealer after having Hands On my brothers revolver. Those who think you can only get a Smith & Wesson slick need to get ahold of a Ruger after Ron has done his Magic to it. NOTE: Ron is retired, and may not be taking new customers. His son runs the retail/wholesale part of the business. He is still working on my revolvers so far, mainly because I have been a steady customer for 20 some years.

Bob
ICORE MO2908

Bob R

Single-Sixer
Looks like I am going with a Gemini Fiber Optic front sight in Red. A Ruger Forum member is donating me a spare one he has left over. That was simple.

Now for a decision on the Grips, and dehorning the Hammer.

Bob

Jim Puke

Hunter
Interesting project.

We need some pics...

I am a devoted pocket carry guy, but if I were going to carry a snub in a holster, I would start with this gun.

Everyone that I have ever tried, had a great trigger...felt as if it came with a trigger job already done.

This is perhaps the only DA Ruger that I would buy, but I do like it.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=393659179

Bob R

Single-Sixer
Looks like Jim Luke recommends a Bobbed Hammer and DAO

The one in his attachment does look slick.

Bob

DonD

Single-Sixer
Bob R said:
Looks like I am going with a Gemini Fiber Optic front sight in Red. A Ruger Forum member is donating me a spare one he has left over. That was simple. Bob

I have one of those on my SP101 and really like it. Don

woodsy

Blackhawk
I have a SP101 (.357 mag) with the molded Hogue grip. The Safariland speedloaders work perfectly. So well that I got five of them. Period.

jackruff

Bearcat
Mine definitely did not come with a "good trigger." In double action it was very stiff and rough. After trying polishing and dry firing (a lot) I finally did what I had been advised by several to do and sent it to Ruger. In less than a week it was returned. It is now amazingly smooth and feels great. I should have done that sooner!

Thel

Blackhawk
Had to redo my SP, too. Even though tuned was not smooth through da so found a void on the contact surface of the hammer dog. Ordered couple extra from Numrich and an extra hammer when they had them and had it bobbed. Now, it is smooth. Have a Standard Dot tritium sight on it which works well for me, day or night. Put a Hogue wood grip with only a top finger groove on it. Fits my hand better than one with all grooves and get a better purchase on it than a Hogue with no grooves I had on a Magnum Carry. Still, it is somewhat large but does fit in my large pocket jeans in a holster. One other thing done to it besides chamfering was to round and polish the trigger.