SP101 - bloody trigger finger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

harrydog

Bearcat
I took my new SP101 to the range for the first time today. I shot 10 rounds of American Eagle .38 then 5 rounds of Gold Dot 135gr for short barrel pistols. Then I shot another 5 rounds of American Eagle. It was at that point that I noticed my trigger finger was bleeding (quite a bit), just above the first knuckle. I don't know if it was from the .357 or just the combination of all the shots together. I really didn't mind the recoil of the .357 at all, but I need to do something about the finger issue.
I assume it was the top edge of the trigger guard right at the front of the trigger that my finger was hitting since that's where the blood was on the gun. But when I pull the trigger and hold it back, there is also blood under the trigger mechanism. The trigger and the trigger guard have fairly sharp edges so I'm not really sure exactly which part of the gun was chewing up my finger.
What, if anything, can I do to eliminate this problem other than a shooting glove or a band aid on the finger? I've been shooting semi-autos for many years but this is my first revolver. Am I doing something wrong?

Pal Val

Buckeye
Not unusual. I've found more than one razor-sharp edge in a new gun, and this applies to all, not only Rugers. Find the culprit edge and stone it dull. Problem solved!

maxpress

Buckeye
had a 4inch redhawk that did that. the top of the trigger that is actually in the slot was knife sharp. bout 50 rounds of full recoil i was looking for a bottle of newskin. just filed it down an was fine.

desertrat

Single-Sixer
I'd use a Dremel, or some variation, to lightly buff the edges that are getting you. I suspect the sharp edge that's cutting you is the forward edge of the slot that the trigger passes through on the trigger guard mechanism.

Blaze

Bearcat
Use an small knife sharpening stone (fine) or a ceramic knife sharpening stick or very very fine (600+) paper. I've had your experience on S&W 19's as well as my own SP101 (1993 version). Hope this helps.

I took my SP to the range and then immediately to the workbench. It had all kinds of sharp edges including a trigger just like yours. With a little stoning and some work with emory paper, about 400 grit ending with 2000, and everything is nice and smooth. The trigger took more work than anthing else. Mark sure you round it and not thin it so it isn't too fine. It's not hard to remove it from the trigger group and that's the best for reworking. Then reinstall and test. When done, a little Flitz or MAAS polish to smooth out the finish.
Let us know how it goes.

maxpress

Buckeye
i use "mini" files such as used in jewelry followed by light grit paper. but this was just cause i didnt take the gun apart first. taped the trigger back and hit it fast with what was in my truck at the range.

mt

Single-Sixer
The flexible emory boards women use on their nails are excellent. I used them a lot when making silver jewelry because they uniformly conform to the object being sanded. Use several grits.

The last two SP101's I bought, I had to knock down the edge's on the trigger and trigger guard.

mt

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
They should sell Rugers double-action's with a couple of small files, a flat stone and a little piece of 400 grit sandpaper. I like to work all the edges on the trigger guard and the trigger. A Dremel will leave marks, just do the smoothing by hand.
000_0002.jpg

...Jimbo

Beauetienne

Single-Sixer
While filing or sanding works fine you also have the option of trying a different grip.

Sometimes a different style grip will reposition your hand enough to eliminate your problem, should you choose to leave your revolver in it's original condition.

G'Luck.