SP101 Balance

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sjs

Single-Sixer
I have a 38 LCR and a 4" gp100 and love to shoot 38sp with both, but I now want to add something in between the two in size. I am looking at the 4.2" SP101 but there are none to see in my LGS so I will need to order it sight unseen. I have owned a few SP101's in the past but they were the snubbies. I am hoping for something somewhat close to the balance and feel of the 4" GP100, though lighter and smaller; something around the size of a SW K frame, but a Ruger, not a K frame. Feel and balance are very subjective, but if you own such a 4" SP101, I would appreciate your comments on the feel and balance.

beentheredone

Single-Sixer
Absolutely love mine. To me, it is just about the ideal trail gun in any territory where you don't have to be concerned with Mr. Griz. Compact but controllable, with enough bore length to give it some magnum oomph and good adjustable sights to take advantage of the many loads available. I put Pachmayr Renegade laminate grips on my SP101, and the two make a good combo in my hand.

contender

Ruger Guru
I agree with the above thoughts.

However,, your desire to get "in between" the two guns, with a leaning towards the GP makes me think. Why not step back to a 3" version? The general balance of the 3" may fit the bill you seek a little better.
Maybe you can find a gun range, a club, or somewhere else to ask & try a 3" SP-101.
If you were closer to me,,,! (Where in SC are you? I'm not far from the SC line near Spartanburg!)

sjs

Single-Sixer

However,, your desire to get "in between" the two guns, with a leaning towards the GP makes me think. Why not step back to a 3" version? The general balance of the 3" may fit the bill you seek a little better.
Maybe you can find a gun range, a club, or somewhere else to ask & try a 3" SP-101.
If you were closer to me,,,! (Where in SC are you? I'm not far from the SC line near Spartanburg!)
I'm in Bluffton, next to Savannah. Do you suggest a 3" SP because it balances more like the 4" GP100 than a 4" SP, or just that it has a better overall balance for you?

contender

Ruger Guru
I think, in my hands, (as well as many others who've tried it,) the general balance feel is best overall.

Too bad you aren't a bit further north,, as I could let you try one. Miss Penny loves the Savannah area,,, but we can't travel too far together, as we have (4) cats that need our care.
But if you were to be able to come here,, I have a few things you could sample.

deac45

Single-Sixer
I'll second Contender's suggestion of a 3"SP. I have a 3" and have handled a 4". For me the 3" sits more "in the hand" while the 4 has just a very slight forward balance to it. Really would be best if you could find a way to handle both.

I agree with the SP101 3". It balances pretty much like my GP100 4.2", just a lighter package.

I've had a couple SP101s over the years and wish I would have kept one of them. The next one that crosses my path will being staying this time ;)

sjs

Single-Sixer
Thanks for bringing that to my attention Contender. The 3" does look better to my eye. I want adjustable sights and the only 3" I see with those is a Lipsey exclusive. I guess I will start the hunt for one of those.

Armybrat

Buckeye
My 3" SP is a six shooter (.327).
Nice little, but stout, revolver.
E21B80ED-E7EF-40B3-BCCF-D83B5C906D8E.jpeg

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
The adjustable sights on the 4" are worth the price of admission and are what makes it a range/trail gun.
A3" with fixed sights will always just be at its best as a self-defense gun.
Ruger lists a 3" with adjustable but I think it is a unicorn.
Decisions are hard but then you will run into the REAL roadblock.
Finding one to buy.

Pal Val

Buckeye
Fixed sights only for self-defense? I worked up a .357mag load for my 3" SP101 that shoots dead-on at 50 yards. It's only 2" high at 15 yds. Unless I'm in a place where bears are big and mean, it's my carry gun for the woods.

I think someone has to say it. You need both. I think the 3" is the perfect SD gun in a revolver. Having said that I also think it's important to have adjustable sights, for banging around in the woods where you might need to bring the sights in to hit where it's looking. If you go by which I have more of I have more 3''ers. Love them

JStacy

Blackhawk
Fixed sights only for self-defense? I worked up a .357mag load for my 3" SP101 that shoots dead-on at 50 yards. It's only 2" high at 15 yds. Unless I'm in a place where bears are big and mean, it's my carry gun for the woods.
Will you share the load you talk about? My 3" SP shoots low with most loads.

Latest posts