SP101 41 Special?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pka45

Bearcat
Hi All,

I've been searching for the last day and a half and cannot figure out definitively if this is possible - does the SP cylinder in fact have enough meat to be drilled out to a 41 special? I can't find any examples, so I figure its probably not possible, but then again I can't find anyone that has said it is indeed impossible.

Any help would be appreciated... even SP cylinder dimensions, which I don't have... thanks!

Pete

batmann

Single-Sixer
I believe you would have to get a new cylinder and it would probably only be a 4 shot. My question is why? If you can find a blank cylinder, it will be very expensive and .41 caliber anything is hard to find and .41 Special----

pka45

Bearcat
You're right batmann, it wouldn't be worth it to me for all that cost. I'd love one, however, if it was just a drill-out and rechamber procedure...

Also, I believe that 4 shots won't gain any more steel than 5 shots will - geometrically speaking...

dougader

Hunter
Ask some of the well known gunsmiths that do conversions. I'd ask Alan Harton about it first, just because I know he's done the 41 Special on OM Single Six revolvers before.

Knuckles

Buckeye
catmath 1911":3l142o1u said:
I'd like to see a SP101 in 10mm. I'd buy one in an instant.

Andy

I'd go for a .40 S&W / 10mm SP101... it would be awesome in a short 3.75" Vaquero too... maybe even a Montado. :D

Knuckles

Buckeye
Flash":2jgjsnep said:
catmath 1911":2jgjsnep said:
I'd like to see a SP101 in 10mm. I'd buy one in an instant.

Andy

Why? The 357 mag does all the 10mm does with a huge bullet selection.

I here ya'... but why then did they make it in a 9mm?

My apologies pka45... didn't mean to hi-jack. :oops:

pka45

Bearcat
You semi-auto guys are not only hijacking my thread but also my revolver wish-list! Forget 10mm, I want it in 41 Special! :)

maxpress

Buckeye
i think you will have to step up to a gp100 and can get it in a 3in fixed sight. i saw a 4in gp100 adjustable sight .44spl somewhere in a thread on this sight so i think it is possible. i just think there might not be enough to work with on the sp101. took mine out of the safe after i read this an set five shells around the top of the cylinder and they didnt leave much but a thin sliver of metal.

CraigC

Hawkeye
I don't think there's enough meat for the .41Spl in the SP. Six shot GP's can be rechambered to .41Spl but the .41Mag and .44Spl require a custom five shot cylinder.

dougader

Hunter
I would have thought the 41 Special was impossible on a Single Six, too, but look at this one from Alan Harton:

AlanHarton41SpecialSingleSix_1.jpg

AlanHarton41SpecialSingleSix_2.jpg

Shoot44

Single-Sixer
Ignorant question: What is a "41 special"?? Do you have to cut down 41 mag brass? Is it a 'wildcat' sort of thing? I didn't know there was such a cartridge.
Having said that, it sure does sound interesting. I love my 41Mag RH, and a nice little(er) 41 would probably be really nice! Esp in SINGLE action!

dougader

Hunter
It's bascially a cut down 41 mag case but there is a guy in the classifieds who bought a huge run of starline brass and is selling it here on ruger forum. You can google it and find info on 41 Special. Its a great little cartridge and IIRC it runs a 215 grain SWC to about 900 or so fps.

Keep in mind, even as a 5 shot in the 41 Special its a tight fit. I wish I would have saved the pics of the cylinder, but the walls are very thin. The other thing is that the conversion can only be done on old model SS guns.

maxpress

Buckeye
i guess the next question is...does anyone have an om single six and an sp101 and a pair of calipers. lets get some cylinder measurments.