SP101 38special

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Catman

Bearcat
Hey all out pawn shop snoping and came across a SP101 38s. Serial number is 570-17477 if I remember correctly ( CRS in play ) :lol: It looks well carried and scrached seem to be tight, factory grips and sights. Need to go back and look again with guages to check c/b gap. What eles is critical on one of these? I have searched old threads till my head hurts just wondering what I may have missed. Also as we all seem to ask a shot in the dark price with no pic's :cry: Thanks

DGW1949

Hunter
First thing I'd do is make certain that the front sight is straight-up and not leaning to one side. Then I'd make sure that the ejector ass'y works smoothly, that the cylinder latches into place right, and that the DA trigger-pull don't seem abnormaly light...or too hard. Once it passes all that, cock the hammer and make sure that you can't push it off the cocking-notch by pushing against it real hard with your thumb. Try a few (slow) DA trigger pulls to make sure that the cylinder-latch (aka bolt) is locking the cylinder before the hammer falls.
Once we know that gun was assembled right and is in servicable condition, then we can get onto the B/C gap.......which in my book shouldn't be more than .004 on a DA revolver, and with .001 or (less) endplay . But others (or Ruger) might argue with that.

Those a few things off the top of my head but I could have forgotten something. At any rate....hope it helped a bit.

DGW

Hey what 'DGW ' says covers it about all, and I can help you out with the "scratches" part,,,,,them stainless guns clean up and look like new with not a lot of work...........good gun, and in a fine caliber as far as I'm concerned, it will "do the job...."

mustang99

Single-Sixer
.004" is great, but you might have trouble finding a b/c that tight given the factory spec being .003- well, more than 4!

mudsnake

Bearcat
Sorry I don't have the link, but remember browsing the SP101 Revolver threads and reading two excellent right ups on checking out a new or used revolver.